It seems as if Mac is only good for video/sound processing and web design

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rfe777, Jan 13, 2010.

1. rfe777 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone

I'm considering to switch from PC to Mac, but Mac seems to be good only for people who mostly deal with graphic design, sound/video processing, picture post-processing and web design/development. Despite all the feedback about the benefits of Mac hardware and software that are perfectly integrated, I, as a normal computer user who needs a computer just for web browsing, checking email, watching movies and listening to music like most people, still wonder whether it is really worth all the time to learn a completely new operating system and all the Mac in general, and, of course, a considerable expense since a Mac is significantly more expensive than a PC.

I'll appreciate any help and opinion because on second thought, I see no advantage of a Mac over a PC...

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There are literally hundreds of threads around here that debate the Mac OS vs Windows dilemma.

Have a look at it via MRoogle (my signature).

PS: It's a matter of conscious choice to choose your operating system.
    Both OSs handle things differently, sometimes in fundamental ways.
    The navigation alone is something that puts Mac OS X ahead of Windows, for me.

PPS: Even though I work in the media, I resent the comment that Macs are only good for people working in the media, as there are many fields in science were Macs are used prominently.
    You just see them more in the media because, you know, the media is almost everywhere in the first world.
    But you'll soon get your answers.

3. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Agreed, the entire psychology department at my local university is run using Macs and PsyScope, Macs are highly prevalent in the scientific community (think Richard Dawkins, Robert Winston or Brian Cox for example).

As far as the original post goes, if you can see no benefit then it may be likely that you'll find no benefit. Honestly the difference lies in OS X, if you can get some hands-on time using OS X then maybe you can decide whether it's for you.

A different OS will change much of what you do on your computer, from the simplest to the most complicated tasks. That difference for many is what makes OS X such a joy no matter what you're doing, and that therefore justifies the cost.

Do your research, watch the how-to videos on apple.com and get some time using OS X. If you feel indifferent to it then you have your answer.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I say stick with a PC.

I just need to drive my kids back and forth to school and me to work, but i couldnt decide if I should I get a BMW 535 or a Hyundai Accent.

I see no advantage of a 535 over an Accent.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Brian Cox, while he might type up his books and schedule his TV interviews on his Mac, has little choice on what platform he uses for the real science he's involved in (if any, at this point). That platform is CERN Scientific Linux.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Macs are used by
    Business leaders, such as Nintendo CEO.
    Political leaders
    Athletes
    Doctors
    Hacker
    Developers
    Artist
    Scientists
    Celebrities
    and more

Anyone who appreciates lack of virus and windows problems.

7. ecualegacy macrumors regular

I just got my first Mac (iMac 21.5") after using only Windows since 1991. I did it pretty much because:
    1) I wanted a beautiful luxury computer with a cool but stable OS, hi-def screen, built in speakers, microphone, camera, DVD superdrive, wireless keyboard, and cutting edge touch only wireless mouse.
    2) Low risk for malicious software
    3) Good customer support for the first year free of additional charge
    4) A computer that does just about anything a Windows based PC can
    5) Did I mention they are gorgeous computers (especially the iMacs)?

But keep in mind that Mac does some things differently. A few things annoyed the heck out of me at first. But I think the learning curve is worth climbing. You will get used to it in a matter of weeks or few months at the most. Bottom line: Yeah, I could have done just fine buying a Win 7 computer at half the price and pretty much the same specs. But to me the iMac's cool factor alone is extremely attractive so I don't think I'll be going back to a Windows PC any time soon.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

My wife, who is the senior policy analyst for an NGO uses Macs because she doesn't really want to know how they works. She wants to show up at a conference and find and use the free Wifi. She wants to plug into the projector and not worry about how or why the presentation just appears on the screen. She certainly doesn't want to worry about AV updates, security updates, etc. She wants a word processor and web-browser that connects without annoying messages.

The only thing that doesn't work as well as her colleague's systems is the VPN access to her HQ's servers. And that is because she can't be bothered to bother the IT support to dig up the Java client for their VPN provider. Its just easier for her to open a virtualized XP window and use the Windows client. Incidentally, despite the Windows-centric IT support's skepticism about the VPN working that way, he now admits that while he gets support calls from the native Windows clients - he doesn't get calls from my wife.

On the other hand, I'm a photographer - so I fit into our pre-conceived pigeon-hole.

9. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I use a Mac as an accountant. I used one as a college student, also for software engineering, and even some music production. The sole purpose for Windows is gaming.

Linux has been doing that for free for a decade, usually at least if not more so user-friendly than Windows. Windows is overkill and a rather expensive solution for these uses.

What your time is worth is up to you. Mine is precious, so I use OS X for nearly everything I do. I did upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 because the price was right and 7 better utilizes my hardware. I found that the UI is about 90% different, thankfully I only need it to run games instead of training to use the whole blasted OS.

This old argument is both true and false. Apple only updates their hardware and prices about every 6-9 months, whereas other manufacturers update both constantly. By the end of a product cycle, the price for that hardware is a total rip-off. But when a product is refreshed, there is rarely any competitor that can match the features and price.

I don't doubt that Dell or HP have a laptop with the same or better features as a current MacBook Pro for a lower price. I don't expect that to be the case in a few weeks.

For your stated usage, I see no reason to spend more than $250 USD on a netbook with Linux. It has the power and ease-of-use to do all that and more. If you're interested in games or HD movies, a $300 PlayStation 3 will cover that as well as the previous uses.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

For your uses, I think you're right. There are few benefits for the things you need a computer. By getting a Mac, you don't need an anti-virus software, and you'd get a really nice looking computer.

Downside: You'd spend more. However, you don't spend more for no reason.

I like a number of user interface features more on OS X, but again, you're paying for it. If you're looking for a laptop, to get a thin and light PC laptop with a nice design, and constructed with a nicer, more expensive material, you'd have to pay more than average, so the difference in price between a PC and Mac would be smaller. Then consider the quality of the MBP's screen, which is nicer than all but the more expensive PC laptops. That brings the price difference to nothing, although you'd get a few more ports and features on a typical high-end PC laptop.

Desktops are different. I think the iMac is decent value for a desktop. Yes, you can buy a regular desktop (i.e. not an all-in-one) for less money, but like many things in life, you pay a bit extra for the convenience and design of an all-in-one solution. This is even true of other brands.

You don't necessarily pay much more for a Mac. It's just hat Apple doesn't have a decent budget machine to compete with other budget machines.

If I were you, I'd buy a PC with Windows 7 installed. :)

11. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

Or you could be like myself, for example, who works in IT security and uses Macs at home because of the stuff I see everyday...:)

12. Buzz Bumble Guest

Most "switchers" will tell you that they'll never go back to Windoze after using a Mac, so that should tell you something. Even ignoring any other differences, the abiity to not have to deal with the idiocies of viruses / malware is well worth the changeover.

13. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

Open your mind

It does all that and more. It makes computing fun. You have looked into it a lot (but missed the main points of owning a Mac). My advice, you seem to be intelligent and inquisitive, get hands on with a Mac, and you will see for yourself. I switched a couple of years ago, and haven't looked back.

14. Nuck81 macrumors regular

To be perfectly honest I primarlily use my Macbook Pro to do everything you described and find the Mac OS inifinitely easier than anything I have ever dealt with in the OC world.

Once you make the plunge I can't describe the benefits Mac has over PC. Actually all you have to do is look at the instructions for Downloading a Digital Copy of BluRay. The Difference between Mac and PC should say enough

15. HBOC macrumors 68020

If you are not in the market for a new computer, you will be fine with what you have. I mean if you are going to be doing typical stuff on your computer, a PC will suffice.

16. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Just to let you know, My father is a doctor and he Only uses mac's on his work.

Also several elemantary schools, where the only thing you do is making projects and surfing the internet, only use Macs.

The reason you would buy one is because mac os X is a little bit smoother. I find even surfing easier in a MacBook because of it's big and multitoicj trackpad.

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

I suspect the OP is just a troll;initial post then no response to anything.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have mostly Macs and a lone PC out of necessity. I don't dare casually browse the web on my PC. I think for the casual user who isn't immersed in the technical aspects of Windows, the Mac IS the best platform. It's more secure and more consumer friendly.

The other thing about the PC is that you must have anti-virus. That is fine, but what is annoying that nearly every time you start using the machine it updates the anti-virus library which slows the computer down. Then there are the constant Windows updates. I just want to get work done and things keep popping up in my face --- do this, do that. I think it thinks we are married.

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'm sure you're right. But its also good to get the other side documented for those people in the future who are thinking of switching and doing a search for more information.
    :)

20. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There are already numerous threads for all the posters that don't even try to search, how they find this place though is beyond me.

21. rfe777 thread starter macrumors newbie

For all those of you who think so - no, I'm not a troll, just waiting to read a few replies before I make one myself.

From what I've read so far, most of you say that Mac is indeed superior to PC, but still there are few who agree with me that for a computer users like myself a PC is the right choice...

I guess there isn't a full Consensus...

22. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I agree with those who say go try one out before you decide.

23. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Why should there be?

The OS has to fulfil your needs, not everyone drives a van or an SUV or a Porsche or a Prius.

If you're really curious read one of those Windows vs. Mac OS X websites (and many threads here) and visit a computer retail shop with Apple products you can try out.
    But know, that the first minutes might be a little confusing, maybe even off putting.

Have a look here:

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/
    http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It looks like CERN supports Macs too:

http://it-dep.web.cern.ch/it-dep/gencomputing/mac-support/default.asp

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

maybe thats a good business venture idea! rent out macs for a week or so for a $200 price tag (too much?). iRent?

the whole "macs are only good for graphics and video" is COMPLETELY stupid and pretty much wrong - that sorta went out the window when PPC did. it was never really the hardware anyway, more the software that was running on them.

for the majority of users though, a mac with OSX is so so simple! as it really (most of the time), just works.