It was more like a Dribble than a Launch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by vikingjunior, Apr 23, 2015.

1. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I just got off the phone with Apple and the lady told me they are getting hammered with unpleasant phone calls. So those who arbitrarily decided this was a wonderful launch might want to wait for all the facts first.

2. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

I'm willing to bet that there are a lot more unhappy people here than happy. And for good reason.

3. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I know my opinion isn't valid since I am getting my watch on launch day :rolleyes:

But I find it ridiculous that people are whining about not getting the watch on launch day when no one was promised a launch day delivery. I get it that we are all excited and that it sucks to not be first after waking up early, but until Apple miss their 5/8 delivery date you really don't have any good reason to whine.

4. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

You lost me at "I am getting my watch on launch day"

5. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

You're right ;)

6. applefan022 macrumors 6502

7. eish2306 macrumors regular

eish2306

Sassy noise with nodding

8. qwertytouch macrumors newbie

I have friends out in Australia who have said that there are queues outside of multiple Apple Stores... dribble indeed.

9. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

You don't seem to get it: many off us have pre-ordered iPhones EVERY year at 3am and ALWAYS received out iPhone on launch day.

When people get up at 3AM and get stuck in the May 13-27 shipping window alongside of those who ordered much later and June deliveries magically shipped today, what do you expect?

10. bluecow macrumors regular

Sure people have a right to whine. Apple has set a precedent with virtually all launches to have enough supply on the first day to cover people ordering within the first hour or so, not just the first 2 minutes.

But, the dribble is likely quite intentional. They know there are glitches with the watch and want to control customer service and set up issues in store and they are willing and able to piss off a bunch of us in the meantime.

Bottom line, both sides are right. Fans that have supported Apple for a long time and have come to expect a certain way of business are pissed off. Apple is doing something different and likely felt they needed to piss off people in order to minimize mass scale bad press and issues.

11. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Apple has been manufacturing watches for about two months now and estimates were they sold 1 million watches on April 10th. So does that mean that in two months Apple couldn't make one million of the things and can't cover the first day's worth of orders? Oh wait...Apple isn't necessarily filling orders in the order they received them.

12. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

And what happens to them when they find out there is no in-store stock available? It has been stated multiple times by Apple that there will be no in-store stock, but then again, at this point, I believe nothing they have to say regarding this 'launch.'

13. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

And we continue to not get people like you. How can you not "get" that?

How can you swallow this "order window" crap so quickly hook, line, and sinker? I wish someone would explain to me how they can take that bending over so easily. Apple has never done launch windows. They've also never missed delivering phones launch day for 3AM ordering.

14. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

What facts?

Do you mean the fact that the Apple delivery window was explicitly stated as 4/24 - 5/8 and there are STILL people here complaining that their watch order hasn't changed status?

And then they call customer service to whine about it?
    Or send emails to Tim?

What is worse, is if you look in the other threads, there are people who have the second delivery window of 5/13 - 5/27 and even some of them are lamenting that their watch order has not changed status (oh wait, another plane is coming from China, maybe that one has my watch on it!)

I am not surprised that customer service is getting hammered by calls (although I doubt anyone at Apple actually said that to a total stranger), what is surprising is the level of entitlement and spoiled child behavior that is driving all those people to call.

(if it matters, no I am not getting a watch tomorrow - I am in the 5/13 group).

15. srazz macrumors regular

srazz

Wait till tomorrow when all hell breaks out.

16. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Worth the BOLD print.

17. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

If you didn't want to deal with the window then you shouldn't have ordered. Would I have been disappointed if I didn't get mine tomorrow? Of course. But I wouldn't have been angry or upset until they had missed the delivery window that they told me about before I ever even ordered.

Those iPhone launch day deliveries also said that they would be delivered on launch day. All I am really saying is stop being babies and wait to get upset until 5/9 if you still don't have it. On that date I will even be incredulous on your behalf... but until then I just roll my eyes and get annoyed over the whining.

18. qwertytouch macrumors newbie

I'd venture to say there'll soon be another slew of unhappy (would be) customers. Also, I think it's a lot easier for you and I to say that "it has been stated multiple times by Apple that there will be no in-store stock", granted that we're active users of sites like MacRumors. For run of the mill folk, however, the Apple site still remains largely unclear. Phrases like "The Watch is coming" and "Pre-order is now available exclusively online" still fail to explicitly state that the Watch will not be available for in-store purchase on 4/24.

19. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

You're right. I see the error of my ways.

20. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

I expect people to understand that the watch is not the same thing as a phone.

- The number of configurations available.
    - The personalization of selection (e.g. are people more willing to compromise on getting a silver rather than their prefered space gray phone because they are putting a case on it anyway, vs getting a white vs. green strap?)
    - A complete lack of any historical information to create a model of demand...and even with that data for the latest launch, it appears that they significantly underestimated the demand for the Plus.

21. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Would your story change if you weren't getting yours tomorrow? I bet it would. :)

22. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

The look on the tourists face in the flagship 5th Ave store NYC was priceless when man/women in blue told them they had to pre-order online. I just know dam well they didn't get it.

23. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

If a person is too stupid to understand the word "exclusively" than they are probably to stupid to know how to plug in a cable and charge the watch. They would just return it after a day claiming the battery is dead.

24. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

It really wouldn't. I would be disappointed but I wouldn't start whining until apple had missed their shipping window completely.

25. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Mmm Hmmm.