It's bent! 6 plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thefredelement, Jul 12, 2015.

1. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I was such a bent naysayer and kind of didn't believe anyone at first, now my iPhone 6+ is bent. I got off the phone with Apple Support and the next available in store date is Thursday..

The guy told me I have to pay for it! - He said it was reasonable to assume that it was an accident and since I don't have Apple Care I have to pay for it.

I've babied this thing, I've never bent any other iPhone and I told him it was reasonable to assume that this iPhone bent because of a manufacturing defect and we agreed they were both reasonable statements, with the only resolution being I have to go to the Apple Store to figure it out.

I've come down on both sides of this before but I have never, not once, put it in my back pocket. 99% of the time the phone sits on my desk or it's in a car mount or a on a conference room table. It's not even a "classic" bend, it's bent just on one corner, I don't know how it happened or when it happened but I noticed it this morning. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there yesterday and it's literally been sitting on my desk all weekend plugged in to a charger.

Did anyone else have to pay for a bent iPhone? I think it's a little crazy...

Attached Files:

2. Lowe Lilliehorn macrumors regular

Lowe Lilliehorn

Well, thats not good... iPhone 6+ is too big.... Hope that the iPhone 6s will be smaller (or just come with iPhone 6s and not iPhone 6s+

3. Ternary macrumors regular

Believe me, I'd feel just as frustrated if my iPhone was bent.

The good news is, you're not completely out of the game yet. If I were in your shoes, I would indeed go to the Apple Store and explain what you posted here to the genius. Make sure you're calm, and make your point clear that you just saw your iPhone bent one day. Try not to draw attention to the genius that makes him or her think you caused the damage.

Best of luck. I'm rooting for you!

4. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Show 'em all the Apple gear in that second pic; ask for a break for a "good customer"...!

(Seriously, good luck; let us know how it goes.)

5. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

When this hit the news didn't Apple say they would replace bent phones?

6. thefredelement thread starter macrumors 65816

thefredelement

At the time they said there were only 9 bent iPhones. I've been researching this for a bit and while it's impossible to know the number of phones that became bent I am fairly sure there are more than 9.

Mine is bent where it seems they all bend at, at a weakness by the volume buttons. It appears to be up to the Apple Genius to determine, via visual inspection, if the bend has been caused by a manufacturing defect or should be deemed as accidental damage. I have no idea how they do this just by looking at it.

That process doesn't seem all that well thought out to me, I get it, the phone is weak by the buttons, I'm not sure how I bent it. I'm sure that at some point I must have applied some pressure to the phone right in the soft spot. I'm curious because it's only bent on one side and I'm trying to think how that would happen, in what usage scenario would only one side of the phone bend? That's what makes me think it's a defect in my case, if I was applying force with reckless abandon enough to bend the phone on one side it surely would be bent on the other. Unless I'm missing something, I just hope they make it right.

7. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I think it's probably best to just wait and see what happens with your appointment. I would imagine you're going to get a repair or replacement.

8. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Let us know what happens. I'm curious to know what Apple does for these bent phones.

9. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

The location of that bend and the type of bend it is, is exactly where I would have put a bend in my iPhone 6Plus and the kind of bend that would have resulted had I not noticed my phone flexing as I was trying to remove it from its case one day.

I've since learned how to put on or take off the case without risking a bend.

If you don't use a case, and it appears you do not, then my best guess is that you bent it while removing it from the car mount somehow.

That doesn't look like an "oops I sat on my phone" bend to me.

We should be able to place the phones on car mounts without incurring this kind of damage. This is ridiculous. I hope you get a replacement free from Apple, and as long as you're polite and reasonable, I imagine you would.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

11. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Of course, but given that they all bend in the same spot it shows this section of the phone is a weak point.

12. anish3232 macrumors member

This should be covered by the 1yr warranty that comes with the phone. You can always tell them you have a different issue (i.e. SIM Error, etc.) to get the phone replaced.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

You will find that if your applied enough pressure on ten Galaxy 5 phone, most would bend in the same place. :p

14. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

So, what you're saying is that all phone designs are inherently flawed. That, or it was a crack at the copycat nature of Samsung. If the latter, then nicely done!

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

No, that is not what I am saying.

I am saying that every phone, no matter the brand or model, will bend at its weakest point. That does not make it inherently defective. That mean it is obeying the laws of physics.

Your nicely done.

16. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Okay, gotcha.

Too bad physics doesn't exist on the internet... Just a fairytale from an age long past ;)

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The Internet seems to defy these rules on a regular basis but in real life there is little escaping!

Have a great day!

18. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Nice strawman.

The issue is that the iPhone 6(+) at its weakest point is weaker than most other phones at their weakest points, and it's sufficiently weak to bend without deliberately trying unlike other phones. You don't have to apply a lot of pressure to bend these iPhones. Hopefully the 6s has the higher grade aluminum like has been rumored.

19. Newtons Apple, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Well the rumors say they are using a different grade of aluminum and it will also be slightly thicker. How much pressure it take to bend the existing phone is relative as the majority of them are not bent. I have seen many in back pocket with people even sitting on them and that would be abuse as far as I am concerned. Maybe Apple will replace the OP's phone out of good will but not for warranty.

20. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I'm still trying to view the pictures in the opening post !

21. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Looks like the OP took them down.

22. thefredelement thread starter macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I did not take them down

23. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I can still see the pix in the first post. They are slow to load, but pop up after 10 or 15 secs.

24. seble macrumors 6502a

They're showing up for me also.

25. newellj macrumors 601

Wasn't there a comparative test in which the 6+ actually did better than several large Android phones? I'm going on memory so I may be mistaken - but I don't think so.