its heating too much

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zoran, Aug 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. zoran macrumors 68030

My mid 2010 27" iMac is heating too much. I can feel the heat when im touching it on its top side. Is there someway i can check if everything is working flawlessly? Dunno, maybe check to see if fans are working?

2. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

There is this https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

It isn't free, but you maybe able to see in the trial version, the temperature of your iMac and also, see if the fans are operating.

I have iStat Menus on my Late 2012 iMac and it shows what RPM the fans are spinning at.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It's six years old, when was the last time you cleaned the dust out of it??? That can make a big difference. Also it may need the thermal paste reapplying. Take a look at ifixit for guides on basic maintenance.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As mentioned, use iStatmenus to get an accurate temperature. Too hot can be relative, i.e., what I think is hot and what is actually hot for a computer may be two different things. That app will also provide fan speeds, to tell you if the fans are operating as you hope they are.

Also what @Samuelsan2001 mentioned about cleaning out the iMac - dust build up may be a contributing factor as well.

5. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

If it’s never been opened up, it may need to be cleaned and have all the dust removed.

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

While you're opening up your Mac, install a SSD, a regular HD gives out a lot of heat.

7. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I have opened it and installed an ssd along with the old hdd. I guess the only way to know what's wrong would be to know the original temperatures and compare with the existing.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

how hot is it getting now?

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

That's what I was going to say.