Its me again, second thoughts about selling the mac pro again!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 26, 2008.

  1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #1
    Ok, I know I already made a thread about, please help me in keeping my mac pro... but recently I sold my 15" sr mbp at a good price and bought the 17" 2.5ghz mbp! And it does feel alot faster overall and could be used as my desktop replacement/laptop..

    Now I'm starting to use the mac pro less and less but still love to sit behind a desk most of the time to do alot of work/play.

    But ever since I found this one method out, I want to sell the mac pro. The method of extracting 9gb + files, what I do is that I have an external 1tb drive fw800 (and its very fast seagate barracuda ns model) and I hook it up to the 17" mbp and drag the folder to the seagate 1tb drive, then from there I extract the file using macpar via external hdd and it extracts the file in 7 minutes! I've tested the same folder on the mac pro with the raptor 10k and it extracted it in 5 minutes..

    So now I want to sell my mac pro and is currently listed on ebay for a good price...and I keep telling myself you have a machine that does what you want it to do and does it fast still.. but everytime I look at the mac pro I'm tempted to end the list and to keep the mac pro all over again. That 8 core keeps calling out to me!!

    Also on the other side I keep thinking to myself sell it and pocket the money and use what you have and the new nehalem will be out and you wont care as much anymore. And another part of me saids who cares if nehalem is around the corner something better will be around when that comes out and your 8 core will still be a monster workstation!!... Man help!! I'm so stressed out!!
     
  2. utekineir macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2008
  3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #3
    LoL, but seriously any input would be much much appreciated! And there's no decaf in monster drink!!
     
  4. dcubed20 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #4
    man, i wish i had your problems :rolleyes:
     
  5. martinlk macrumors member

    martinlk

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Location:
    Aalborg, Denmark
    #5
    Nobody can answer this question for you. You have to make up your mind on your own. Do what YOU want to do!
     
  6. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #6
    Mo money Mo problems.. :(
     
  7. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #7
    I wish it was just this simple... its so split 50/50... Its like I dont need the full power of the mac pro, but that 16gb of ram, nvidia 8800gt, 8 core is crazy fast and want it.. but then I could save the money for when I would need to upgrade from the 17" mbp's speed years later...plus more money in the bank is always good..
     
  8. scarabrae macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    #8
    If you dont know what you want then making any sort of decsion will be a shot in the dark.

    You sound like different parts of you want different things.

    What is most important to you in regard to your values for living your life and those dear to you?

    Try asking yourself, "If I sold my mac pro, what would that do for me?" Keeping asking this question to each answer and eventually you will reach the realm of values. Do the same for why you should keep it, now...you may be surprised sooner or later. :)
     
  9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #9
    I say keep it. Your signature will be lacking without that item and you'll feel it. On the flip side, you can replace it with something else that you can list in your signature. :)
     
  10. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #10
    hehe, I can also keep that signature the same but put a (sold!!) next to it! :eek:
     
  11. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #11
    Thanks.. with that in mind I think of it this way, I can keep the $4k in the bank for something else in the future or I can keep the mac pro and use it for a long time.. but I guess I keep thinking that with the mac pro along with the 17" mbp, I feel as if I'm not using both machines to its limits and not getting the $$'s worth, yet the availability of the power of the mac pro feels like its worth it...

    :confused:

    I guess I'm leaning more to selling it.. man its just such an awesome rig but in the end.. I can have 4k in the bank.. while I can fully utilize and abuse the 17" mbp for a good couple years more than upgrade to possibly a quad mbp by then..
     
  12. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2008
    Location:
    Chicago
    #12
    You're going to find several performance drawbacks when comparing the two. In most scenarios, a notebook will never compare to a current Apple MP Workstation.

    That being said, if you're satisfied with the performance of the MBP, keep it and sell the MP.

    P.S. Stop buying on impulse :eek:
     
  13. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #13
    Yea that was my problem, impulse heh. But I did own the 2.66ghz mp last year but sold it 6 months ago for a very good price as well because I thought that the mp was too overkill for me, then I missed the power. But these 17" mbp penryn with the 512mb vram seems a alot faster than the 2.4ghz sr mbp 15" especially connected to the 23" acd so I feel like I dont need the mac pro again.. I've had the mac pro turned off for the past 2-3 days and using the 17" mbp connected to the acd 23" and everything seems to run fast still but just glaring at the mp in the corner just sitting there with its massive 8 core and 16gb of RAM just makes me want to keep it and turn it back on! Also the 16gb of ram, I might have gone overboard with that, lol. I've only seen a handful of times that reached the usage of 14gb! I wanted that full 100% performance out of the mp.

    Only upside that I do love about using the 17" mbp is that the dual monitor mode alot more screen size... I did think about using the mp and buying an extra 23" acd and put it side by side :p But that would be another impulse buy.
     
  14. bbbensen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2008
    #14
    Im confused with your post...

    Do you mean you have a 17" MacBook Pro? Cause a MacBook pro and a Mac Pro are very different machines.

    Can you clear that up?

    Thanks! :)
     
  15. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #15
    17" mbp (macbook pro)
     
  16. echoout macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    #16
    It's just a simple matter of if you need it or not. I hate having things that cost more than $1000 if I don't need them and/or use them regularly. It would be different if it's some timeless thing that was custom made for you, but in this case it's just a computer; a tool if you will.

    If I had a nice TIG welder with all the hookups and Argon and everything but never used it, you bet I would sell it in a heartbeat.

    If you want or need one later, get one later. No big deal.
     
  17. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #17
    hmm.. well put.. I'm leaning more towards selling it now.
     
  18. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #18
    I fired up the 8 core mac pro just to use it again.. man it sure is fast as hell... even just simple webbrowsing feels alot smoother already..
     
  19. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #19
    Ahhh screw it I'm keeping the mac pro~~~~~!!!! :D
     
  20. mgsarch macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #20
    Is the tv in your sig just to make us a little more jealous of your "problems" ??? ;)

    I think that's a good call keeping the MP. I'm in the process of making the opposite decision with my MBP.

    I now have a MP 2.8x8, 10gb, 4xWD 640, ATI 2600HD (Replacing with Quadra as soon as my heart rate returns to normal! ;) ... )

    I have a MBP 15" 2.33 C2D 3GB, 120GB.

    I made the switch because the MBP could not keep up with what I was doing: extensive physics simulation and modelling.

    I have about 1.5TB of data (scanned drawings, RAW files, CAD files, 3d Files, PDFs, etc., etc.)

    My boot drive on the MBP was always nearly filled and my 3 external HDs were similar. I couldn't deal with the lack of scratch. The machine would crawl in my workflow.

    I am SO SO SO happy with my MP but now I have this MBP which, despite it's shortcomings, I am in love with. My decision has been whether or not to sell the MBP or keep it as a portable. My reality is that I'm going to need two computers, a workstation and a portable for when I return for more school this next fall. I couldn't decide whether or not, keep MBP and use as a portable or sell and buy a portable when the time comes.

    Decision: Sell MBP now, reassess needs and options then.

    Mac Pro and MBP are two totally different beasts. I would love for the MBP to be sufficient for my needs but no matter how hard I try to convince myself, it can't cut it. I doubt the 512vram would make a difference since my application is CAD/Design.

    Like everyone said, it comes down to use. Nehalem is LONG way away in tech standards and like you say, you had no problem selling at a good price. You can always sell your MP around or after Nehalem time. You'll lose a little but i see the number of months of use between now and then as no part of the consideration for sale.

    New tech is always around the corner, if the current tech does what you need VERY VERY well it's best not to pay too much attention to the tech game when things are this far away. In tech standards I consider next december VERY far away. :)

    my .02
     
  21. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #21
    Thanks for you input I appreciate it!:D

    yea the mac pro is a totally different beast itself, at times the mbp fools you to think it can handle all that you throw at it until the heavy multitasking + pro apps + hd content comes around and puts the mbp to a crawl and doesnt even phase the mac pro, and your sitting there thinking what the hell is going on! Its called a macbook pro!! with a Pro at the end!!

    I know I said that I decided to keep it BUT I left it on ebay for a very very good price (well good for me as well), so if it ends up selling for the price that I want then I will sell it and if it ends without anyone buying then I will just keep it! Thanks guys!!

    P.s. the sony bravia is just a totally different kind of LOVE! :D
     
  22. mgsarch macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    #22

    Best luck!!! Sounds like you're going to be all set in either way!

    One thing I forgot to mention that has become my little obsessions since switching to MP. Extractions, Compression, Rendering, etc. Anything that took 7 minutes and now takes 4 or 5 (or in my case things that took 9+ hours and now take 3 minutes ....... ) Those few minutes really add up over time and if you're eliminating them that new time is a real boost in efficiency/productivity.

    It's so interesting how different users have such different uses for their computers. It does make it (as people said in this thread) difficult to give or receive advice. The more you tell about your use, the easier it is for others to advise! ;)

    Best best luck, I hope the auction goes well, if I talk to anyone in the market I'll point them to ebay. ;)

    If you don't sell it, you still always have that option and the wonderful thing about Macs, they don't lose their value so horrendously.
     
  23. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #23
    Thanks!! yea I'm actually selling the mp on my sig exactly as how much I've paid for it to build it in that spec. Good thing to know is that I've had no problems with my mac pro and no errors either on the cpu/gpu/ram side as well.

    On the other hand if it doesnt sell then I'll still get to keep a fast ass desktop!! Plus in 2-3 years later if I want to upgrade I'm sure I can still sell this setup for $1800-$2100ish. I'm very surprised to see powermac g5 quad's still going in the $2k range!!
     
  24. GoKyu macrumors 65816

    GoKyu

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2007
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #24
    I'd keep it - An 8 core tower of power will last you a long time, and even a few years down the road you'll be able to sell it for a good price (it is a Mac, after all....)

    Use the Macbook Pro for your "on the go" type of stuff, or to take work home from the office, etc.....keep the Mac Pro as your main desktop system and feel the love from all 8 cores :D

    If I had the cash, I'd buy a Macbook Pro 15" for "on the go" type stuff....right now I'm poor, but rich in computing resources thanks to Imelda (that's her name...hehe)

    -Bryan
     
  25. c:\windows macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    Location:
    Houston, Texas
    #25
    If it was me I would keep everything and go and buy two 30inch apple displays as well.
     

Share This Page