Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's "It's Only Rock and Roll" media event scheduled for tomorrow, months of rumors and speculation are coming together to generate a picture of what may be in store for the event.

New iPods with Camera

A report from mid-May was the first to suggest that the iPod touch and iPod nano would see the addition of digital cameras. Additional confirmation and mockup images of the next-generation iPod nano appeared shortly thereafter, and the new iPod nano is also rumored to carry a wider-aspect (1.5:1) screen ratio.

Over the past several months, a number of third-party case manufacturers have been advertising cases for the next-generation iPod touch and iPod nano designed to accommodate digital cameras on both models, as well as the new iPod nano screen size. Believable images claiming to be a prototype of the new iPod touch were also revealed last month:

165138-third_gen_touch_2a_500.jpg

Additional word appeared late last month that Apple has contracted for 3.2-megapixel cameras for not only the iPod touch and iPod nano, but also the iPod classic. Finally, iPod resellers have also reported dwindling stocks of existing iPod models and discontinuation of product codes for those models.

Last minute reports from multiple sources claim, however, that Apple has run into production problems with the cameras on the new models. While the issue may delay shipment of the new iPods, an introduction remains very likely for tomorrow's event.

iTunes Store - "Cocktail" and Pre-Cut Ringtones?

Apple has been rumored to be developing "digital album" packages of interactive content, code-named "Cocktail", that the music industry hopes will help spur sales of full albums via iTunes. Major record labels are also rumored to be developing their own competing format.

Another report last week also claimed that Apple has secured the necessary rights to distribute pre-cut ringtones via the iTunes Store as an alternative to the custom-designed ringtones currently available for many tracks in the store.

iTunes 9

A report from early last month suggested that iTunes 9, likely to be introduced at tomorrow's event, will offer support for Blu-ray media, as well the ability to organize iPhone and iPod touch applications within iTunes. Claims of social media integration also surfaced, along with several groups of questionable screenshots.

Other Rumors

- Beatles: While numerous observers have pointed to several Beatles-related product introductions tomorrow as something possibly more than a coincidence, AllThingsD reports that there will be no Beatles-iTunes announcements tomorrow.

- Tablet: Apple's much-rumored tablet computer has been the subject of significant attention in recent months, with Apple CEO Steve Jobs reportedly focusing nearly all of his attention on the project since his return from a medical leave of absence in late June. Despite some suggestion that the tablet could see an introduction as early as this month, the vast majority of reports claim that it will not be introduced until a later date, likely early in 2010.

- Apple TV: A recent slip in shipping times for the low-end Apple TV has led to speculation that an update to the device could be in store, but sources have indicated that no such announcement will be made at tomorrow's event.

Event Coverage

MacRumors will provide links to live coverage for the event and also provide Twitter updates @macrumors. For ongoing MacRumors news alerts, follow @macrumorsRSS.

Article Link: 'It's Only Rock and Roll' Rumor Roundup

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm going to predict that no one will be satisfied, no matter what is announced.

That said, I think we'll get new iPods, iTunes 9, new iPhone OS and a revamped app store (so people can find stuff).

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
Bring on the new iPod Touch! :D
This will be my first one and I already have a good sized list of apps and games I want to get. :eek:

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Re: Beatles on iTunes

Reported today on NME.com. Dunno what it ultimately means...

"Paul McCartney has told NME.COM that he wants The Beatles songs to be available as downloads.

The Fab Four's work has long been absent from official download services, but the bassist and songwriter said he and the band are keen for them to be available online – and blamed record label EMI for the delay.

"We were having problems with iTunes – well not iTunes, EMI was the problem – with downloading, which we'd like to do because that's how a lot of people get their music," explained McCartney.

However, the legend suggested the band have managed to get round the problem by getting involved in the new 'The Beatles: Rock Band' game, which is released tomorrow (September 9).

"We've kind of bypassed that [download problems] because now you can do it in 'Rock Band'," he said. "I always liked that, when you're told you can't do something and suddenly there's a little route round the back.""

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
iTunes Store - "Cocktail" and Pre-Cut Ringtones?

Apple has been rumored to be developing "digital album" packages of interactive content, code-named "Cocktail", that the music industry hopes will help spur sales of full albums via iTunes. Major record labels are also rumored to be developing their own competing format.

Wonder what this'll be like, if this rumor is true. I wonder if it would be possible to do something like the iTunes Plus / Complete My Album thing where instead of paying for the whole album again, you just just click on a "Upgrade" button or something and get charged for what you don't have. If people had to pay for the album again just to get the liner notes (or whatever is included), I know that quite a few people will be really p**sed off.

run-kmc

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
Someone should make a "What new iTunes 9 feature are you?" quiz on Facebook.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Give me a 64gb iPod Touch with a faster CPU, camera and GPS and I'll give you my money, Apple. (aka an iPhone without a phone chip)

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
any one wanna take a bet people will be complainning about no new iMacs or macbooks at the event.

clmason

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Is there any hope on iTunes 9 being a cocoa application?

It is guaranteed. Apple has said it will be 64-bit, like all its apps on Snow Leopard. There is no 64-bit carbon. Conclusion: iTunes 9 will be a cocoa app.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
I hope iTunes 9 gets the Snow Leopard treatment and gets under the hood refinements and becomes less bloated.

o0samotech0o

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2008
hmm.

Hey,

I don't think that any 'confirmed' rumours are that good. There have barely been any, so i think that this year Apples secrets might have been well kept this year. And why won't they release a tablet at this event? eh? EH?

Nobody knows, so don't be dissapointed YET! :)

-Sam

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I wonder if with all these leaks, are these yearly updates losing their luster? While nothing is set in stone, it's pretty well documented we are getting a camera enabled iPod, the same yearly update to iTunes and some other small things here and there. And even then, there are going to be some very upset people who want a tablet, updated Apple TV and perhaps blu-ray support in iTunes. I am anticipating OS 3.1 for the iPhone, but wouldn't be surprised if they wait until the 25th when AT&T (who I am very happy with) enables MMS support. Then again, if Apple doesn't release 3.1 tomorrow, there will be a very upset portion of the consumers.

dk152

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
Someone, please enlighten me!

I don't quite get the fascination with having the Beatles on iTunes. I am a big fan of them and got most of my Beatles already on my iTunes from other sources like CDs. Why is it so important to have them on iTunes?

clmason

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Where has Apple said this?

I don't know if they officially mentioned iTunes, but they said with Snow Leopard all apps will be 64-bit going forward. And indeed all apps in Snow Leopard *are* 64-bit with just a couple exceptions, the most glaring being iTunes.

Clearly, they weren't ready with a new version of iTunes for the Snow Leopard release, but there's no way they would release a major new version that is 32-bit.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
Why is it so important to have them on iTunes?

I agree, it's not important.

This whole event seems boring. I really doubt we'll see any form of tablet, and unless iTunes 9 is a cocoa rewrite, this whole event can fall off the face of the planet for all I care :)

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
I hope iTunes 9 gets the Snow Leopard treatment and gets under the hood refinements and becomes less bloated.

iTunes is so lagging compared to other apps.

It's bloated, slow, complicated....

There have been no major innovations in years. Please 'trim' it down apple.

o0samotech0o

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2008
Someone, please enlighten me!

I don't quite get the fascination with having the Beatles on iTunes. I am a big fan of them and got most of my Beatles already on my iTunes from other sources like CDs. Why is it so important to have them on iTunes?

Nobody can be bothered to get off their asses to go and buy CD's anymore :)

Nawww.. its just easier i suppose. It'd boost their download sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.