Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
So I quickly read page 1,4 and 5 of this thread but didn't see anything mentioned about PowerPC compatibility.

Sorry if I missed any posts mentioning it but it makes sense if the new iTunes doesn't support PPC but:

I know many people using an old G4 PowerBook, with external hard drives, to serve as their iTunes music and video to their AppleTv.

How will the current AppleTV work, if it also gets a software upgrade?

Hopefully newer Macs get direct streaming like airdrop?

What about AppleScript which Apple has been depreciating over the years, bc I use it often in iTunes.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
APple is really pushing the limits when it comes to promises, releasedates and delays these days. Would be good for their reputation if actually one release was a bit ahead of time for once.

Like 4th gen iPad?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
My iTunes library was around 3 TB last time i checked and about half of it is music. iTunes works fine here.

Do you have a big CD collection? Or do you keep AIF versions of your CDs? Or did you just pirate the entire Pirate Bay? 1.5TB of music is enormous!

----------

Wrong.

It was *NEVER* designed for iPods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundJam_MP

It was designed for iPods in version 2 and up, so you could say that it was not ORIGINALLY designed for iPods.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
So I quickly read page 1,4 and 5 of this thread but didn't see anything mentioned about PowerPC compatibility.

Sorry if I missed any posts mentioning it but it makes sense if the new iTunes doesn't support PPC but:

I know many people using an old G4 PowerBook, with external hard drives, to serve as their iTunes music and video to their AppleTv.

How will the current AppleTV work, if it also gets a software upgrade?

Hopefully newer Macs get direct streaming like airdrop?

What about AppleScript which Apple has been depreciating over the years, bc I use it often in iTunes.

I almost forgot about that. I love AppleScript, and I don't know why Apple is trying to kill it. It's very useful and easy to use!

I'm not sure if you knew this, but the latest version of iTunes 10 that is already out only runs on ≥ Snow Leopard, which doesn't run on PPC. The newest iTunes should work on newer PPC Macs, by the way. You know why? It works on Windows XP SP2, which can run on, say, a 1998 PC! And it doesn't work in Leopard, which was released in 2007, way after SP2 was released.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I almost forgot about that. I love AppleScript, and I don't know why Apple is trying to kill it. It's very useful and easy to use!

iTunes should work on newer PPC Macs, by the way. You know why? It works on Windows XP SP2, which can run on, say, a 1998 PC!

It's because the PC didn't experience a migration to a totally different CPU platform like the Mac did.

Windows XP SP2 was compiled to up run on the archaic 32-bit Intel x86 platform.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
let's hope this release doesn't break more things than it adds; in other words, I hope apple doesn't pull another iOS 6/ML on us. :rolleyes:

cipo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
My iTunes library was around 3 TB last time i checked and about half of it is music. iTunes works fine here.

Do you use home sharing? My library is half as big (around 300GB music), and while accessing it from my Apple TVs works fine, opening the share from the Videos / Music app on my iDevices takes *forever*, if it finishes at all. That's especially embarrassing when there are 3rd party alternatives that access the same library almost instantly (e.g. Subsonic, AirVideo).

I'd still prefer to use Home Sharing for the streamlined interface, but right now this is impossible. Hope they fix this with iTunes 11, although I don't really believe it.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library. iTunes is way too bloated and there are many people that don't need and will never use the ipod, ipad, iphone connectivity, the app store, music store, etc. I have no iDevices and don't need the extra junk that comes with iTunes.

also, itunes is really bad at handling libraries with over 200gb of music. it becomes a memory and cpu hog, sometimes hitting 200mb of ram... a simple mp3 player shouldn't use that much memory.

First, iTunes slowness has been a non-issue for me since the 2011 update, I have much more than 200GB and more than 100,000 songs. (Been buying CDs since the late 1980s)

Second, complaining about iTunes RAM usage is ridiculous when WebKit browsers (Chrome and Safari) will waste 28 MB real RAM on a single web page that is less than 50k text only info. WebKit is the most offensive computer offering RAM wise. Load a web page with automatic Flash loading and it may steal 500 MB of real RAM.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Do you have a big CD collection? Or do you keep AIF versions of your CDs? Or did you just pirate the entire Pirate Bay? 1.5TB of music is enormous!

----------

It was designed for iPods in version 2 and up, so you could say that it was not ORIGINALLY designed for iPods.

Well, yes, but iTunes 2 came out nine months after iTunes 1.0, alongside the release of the first iPod. Do you think the (skin-deep) changes made to SoundJam to make it iTunes 1.0 weren't made knowing the iPod was going to be coming out? Further, even iTunes 1.0 supported synching with "other" MP3 players (Diamond Rio, Creative Jukebox, etc).

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Anyone think we'll get nice big album art and coverflow style browsing through the store? It could almost be like a real record/CD store except you can preview the tracks. Or will we still be stuck with crummy tiny album art, lots of wasted cluttered UI space, tiny text and poor discovery like we have now?

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
Do you use home sharing? My library is half as big (around 300GB music), and while accessing it from my Apple TVs works fine, opening the share from the Videos / Music app on my iDevices takes *forever*, if it finishes at all. That's especially embarrassing when there are 3rd party alternatives that access the same library almost instantly (e.g. Subsonic, AirVideo).

I'd still prefer to use Home Sharing for the streamlined interface, but right now this is impossible. Hope they fix this with iTunes 11, although I don't really believe it.

Works fine on ATV, but i haven't tried it on iPhone or iPad. It all comes down to network speeds and device processing power. I imagine library that big will take some to cache on the device.

ruvil

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2010
I also think that iTunes match will launch in several new countries.

This just showed up in my Swedish account:
pY8oa.png

Kr67D.png

So far i only get an error message, but just a couple of days ago when i last checked - these itunes match options did not exist.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
First, iTunes slowness has been a non-issue for me since the 2011 update, I have much more than 200GB and more than 100,000 songs. (Been buying CDs since the late 1980s)

Second, complaining about iTunes RAM usage is ridiculous when WebKit browsers (Chrome and Safari) will waste 28 MB real RAM on a single web page that is less than 50k text only info. WebKit is the most offensive computer offering RAM wise. Load a web page with automatic Flash loading and it may steal 500 MB of real RAM.

Indeed. I have seen iTunes use 300 MB of RAm, but with 3 TB library it's pretty understandable in my opinion. The application is fast, starts in a bit more than one bounce in the Dock.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.

Thats a separate issue with WebKit and ultimately irrelevant. The topic at hand is iTunes.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
whats wrong with iTunes taking up 100-300mb of ram? who cares? that's a pittance

For the purposes of it being a simple mp3 player and nothing more, this is unacceptable. If all developers were that lazy, we'd require a lot more than 8gb of RAM just to run software.

This is another reason why I refuse to switch to OS X 10.7 or 10.8. Snow Leopard is killer and was nicely optimized, I was super excited about it being released knowing how much under the hood work went into it.

The same should be done with iTunes or a lighter alternative that handles a full library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.