Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Shoot, they've impliamented it really really well! It download manager "Podcast" section is great, you can get previous episodes and all. Podcasting is set to explode... again! Best part : FREE :D

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Can someone confirm that this is not for US/UK only? I have the hunch that this will be only available in some countries, wihch will leave everyone else outside since you have to live in a certain country to be able to get the free stuff... which is, I must say, annoying as hell.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm a little annoyed that Apple doesn't let me hide the Podcasts area in case I don't feel like using it (or have the iTunes Music Store hidden, where it will be of no use to me anyway) in iTunes 4.9.

Podcast support seems to be the only significant addition.

ahe

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2003
Have you people tried to actually drag a PodCast URL to your Podcasts in iTunes?

I have this URL of one of the podcasts I follow:

http://www.cadenaser.com/rssaudio.html

... But when I drag this URL to iTunes from Safari, I get the message
"http://www.cadenaser.com/rssaudio.html" is not a valid podcast URL

The surprising part is that I CAN drag the URL http://www.cadenaser.com/ to my Podcasts in iTunes... And here's the bizarre part... If I'm, for instance, browsing my Library in iTunes, I can actually drag and drop the URL http://www.cadenaser.com/rssaudio.html into my podcasts, although that podcast doesn't work...

... Frustrating for a start; let's hope the experience gets better with time.

ahe

:eek:

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Anybody getting this error message saying your computer is not authorised?

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 258

joup

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2005
hushreality said:
If they were working on the store right now - I wonder if Apple employees get paid overtime for working at 2:30am ?

No, just a martini glass of beer and some weird german liquor.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
It was up and seemingly working, then Apple broke the whole music store. I'm sure everything will be resolved before the official announcement.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
wrldwzrd89 said:
I'm a little annoyed that Apple doesn't let me hide the Podcasts area in case I don't feel like using it (or have the iTunes Music Store hidden, where it will be of no use to me anyway) in iTunes 4.9.

Podcast support seems to be the only significant addition.
Actually, in iTunes preferences, you can hide the Music store.

As for being able to hide the Podcasts area, you should provide Apple with a polite suggestion.

Miniaco

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2005
Working fine

Hi folks

Already updated and it's working fine. Know what's best: podcasts does not have country limitations, just downloaded a few things here in Brazil. :)

[]

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I suspect...

Apple will have some iTMS response issues for a day or two as people start using the Podcast feature.

Also, a lot of the Podcast sites will probably hit bandwidth limitations and be slow today.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I've just downloaded iTunes 4.9.

There is a fair bit of stuff up there. Nice interface - just like iTMS.

When you subscribe you are taken back to the subscription podcast list - so if you want to subscribe to multiple podcasts, you have to go back to the Podcast listings again. You can not subscribe to many at once - even though you can select many - when you click on subscribe button it only subscribes to the associated podcast. . Makes it a bit awkward.

Otherwise, seems pretty good overall.

Looking forward to 10.4.2!

moose.boy

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2003
UK
Wow

Didn't expect this today. Which makes you wonder what the announcement for next week will be !

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
iTunes 4.9 Now Available

iTunes 4.9, now available through Software Update or via download, was released in preparation for the rumored announcement of an iTunes-enabled mobile phone. The new iTunes version supports Podcasts and a new Podcasts section of the iTunes Music Store.
With iTunes 4.9, you can now browse and subscribe to podcasts from within the iTunes Music Store. Podcasts are frequently updated radio-style shows downloadable over the Internet. You can also transfer podcasts to iPod, for listening on the go.
Macshrine reports that language files in iTunes 4.9 include messages referring to use of iTunes with mobile phones. MacRumors confirms that iTunes 4.9 includes messages such as "Phone Preferences", "Configure Phone", and "iPod Phone Prefs".

The new store section also features instructions (PDF file) for Podcasters to submit their Podcasts (and artwork) by specifying the address of the RSS feed, and a Podcasts Frequently Asked Questions page. "Enhanced Podcasts" can contain chapters that reference images or web links that will be displayed within iTunes as the Podcast plays, constructed using Chapter Tool (download), a tool used within the Terminal application.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Diatribe said:
Can someone confirm that this is not for US/UK only? I have the hunch that this will be only available in some countries, wihch will leave everyone else outside since you have to live in a certain country to be able to get the free stuff... which is, I must say, annoying as hell.
Works fine with iTMS Norway, and I could subscribe to Inside Mac Radio without being signed in, so I guess you don't need an iTMS account to download podcasts...

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
wow, im so happy thast i dont have my itunes library littered with podcast mp3s now.

finally, some order in my library again! :D

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
A few more things that are in the package...

"The mobile phone “^1” cannot be ejected because it contains files that are in use by another application"

"The name of my mobile phone is:"

"Eject mobile phone"

"The name of my mobile phone is:"

"Set Up Your Mobile Phone."

"Automatically choose songs for my mobile phone. iTunes will automatically fill your mobile phone with a random selection of songs from your library. You may fill your mobile phone with a different selection of songs by pressing Autofill in the mobile phone playlist."

Cool, looks like they are using AutoFill, like with the Shuffles.

"No mobile phone connected"

"Open iTunes when this mobile phone is attached"

"Display album artwork on this mobile phones"

Cool! Artwork too.

"The mobile phone “^FILENAME” cannot be updated"

Apple seems to be unspecific about which phone iTunes will work with. Maybe it will work with loads of phones :)

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
I found this comment on one of the news pages to be interesting:

So it's not just the premier podcast PC client, the iPod itself is now first among devices with integrated podcast support. Combine this news and the new pricing and the integration of iPod photo into the core white iPod line and you see why Apple remains the player to beat in this space.

New pricing? Merging of iPod Photo into main iPod line?

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Don't bother with the BBC World podcasts - they aren't BBC World Service broadcasts, but text-to-voice files of BBC RSS feeds, as far as I can tell (and the voice they used is one of the more annoying ones).

There's a bit of infelicity at the bottom of the podcasts screen. The type for the "Podcasts Directory" and "Report a Concern" links is clipped. Reminds me of Mozilla M9 or so, not a finished product. With the comments above about the store not quite working the first few hours after the software release, I have to say that it seems like they rushed this one.

joeyboy76

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2003
Singapore
Diatribe said:

it's not.. i'm in singapore and i'm downloading podcasts..

it's so COOL!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.