Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
It's still white!

The new iPod...

Also the iPod U2 Special Edition is now branded the iPod U2, and it has a color screen.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
efoto said:
Obvious n00b question, but what is a "Podcast"? :confused: *cowers and runs for treeline to safety* :rolleyes:

I really just don't know, haven't read anything about them and I see all this fuss so I assume it is a neat thing....please share.

It's nothing more than a talk show or monolog recorded to an audio format like mp3 or AAC so you can download it to your iPod or other mp3 player. 99% of Podcasts are done by radio talkshow wannabes with no access to the radio waves and are quite boring. There are a few gems, but it's a lot of work to pick them out of the haystack.

Lately a lot of real radio talk shows have been available as podcasts so you can listen to them when you want, not when they are on. Many of these are not free though.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Neerazan said:
UK store back up, 20 & 60Gb iPods, no photos, all colour screens, 15 hours of battery life... :( is that it?

I feel the same, that is pretty bunk. So now everyone gets color and photo capability (great, there goes iPod Photo purchase only months ago) and pricing for the line is more tight making an iPod at every pricerange in most cases.

iPod line breakdown:
  • iPod Shuffle at $99 (512MB) and $129 (1GB)
  • iPod mini at $199 (4GB) and $249 (6GB)
  • iPod [Photo] at $299 (20GB) and $399 (60GB)
  • iPod U2 at $329 (20GB)

Edit: There is still a rather large gap between Shuffle and mini, $130 to $200, quite the difference although probably not a bad thing really. From the 4GB mini there seems to be an iPod at every $50 increment, nice job Apple (roughly, counting U2 at $330).

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
May 23, 2004
England
Neerazan said:
UK store back up, 20 & 60Gb iPods, no photos, all colour screens, 15 hours of battery life... :( is that it?

well its not so much no photo. It just the photo has been renamed to just plain ipod

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
OK, I'm officially disappointed. Nobody ever said every announcement has to be earth-shattering, but this is nothing more than a rebranding/repricing of the iPod.

Good move, but I was hoping for more.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
well, i think it's a great update. we weren't expecting video ipods yet anyway..

it's my birthday on thursday, so i think i know what i'll be purchasing.. :D

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
broken_keyboard said:
Thank God they simplified the lineup a bit. Only 2 models: 20 & 60, and no "Photo" in the name.

Edit: I also think there should only be 1 iPod Shuffle.

I would agree only one Shuffle, a $30 price difference hardly seperates the the two, would have made sense to move all to 1GB, that or offer 1GB for $129 and introduce a 2GB model at $159 or something, although that is still only $30 it would spruce up the line....make it look like innovation which is good.

I would assume consolidation of the Shuffle would save them money, I can't imagine manufacturing the 512MB costs more than $4 or $5 more than the 1GB version, media is cheap, margins are high :(

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Unfortunately, iTunes 4.9 isn't as feature-rich as I prefer. One of the main features I appreciate in iPodderX is the ability to convert podcasts to bookmarkable AAC. 4.9 does not appear to have that feature. Also, I've yet to see a Torrent-distributed podcast (such as TWiT) download properly. iPX also handles these.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
treblah said:
The store is now updated. Podcast banner located top-middle. So far there are ESPN, Disney, KCRW, and ABCnews.com podcasts plus a whole slew of others. :eek:

Update, It was working earlier.
Click
To make it valid all you must do is click "publish podcast" in the music store. :)

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Porchland said:
OK, I'm officially disappointed. Nobody ever said every announcement has to be earth-shattering, but this is nothing more than a rebranding/repricing of the iPod.

Good move, but I was hoping for more.

Best wait for that event to see if anything other then the Phone shows up
:)

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Glad I got my 30GB Photo version a few weeks ago. The extra 10GB is nice, and only $60 CDN more then the new 20GB. Also not as thick as the 60GB.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
PeterBonnar said:
well its not so much no photo. It just the photo has been renamed to just plain ipod

The main iPod page isn't up yet, but it's defaulting to ipod/color. No mention in the iPod page in the store of photo, so I'm wondering whether Apple is going to redo photos for the iPod as an add-on app of somekind -- iPhoto for your iPod or something.

EDIT:

OK, the iPod page is up and apparently the photo features are the same.

zeppiecr

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
Edit: There is still a rather large gap between Shuffle and mini, $130 to $200, quite the difference although probably not a bad thing really. From the 4GB mini there seems to be an iPod at every $50 increment, nice job Apple (roughly, counting U2 at $330).

Could the price gap between shuffle and mini be room for the phone? Or do you think the phone, if it ever comes out, is irrelevant to the actual ipod pricing.

snowdog

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
Visby, Sweden
ahe said:
Anyone had any luck adding other podcasts that don't appear in the podcast section of the iTunes store?
:rolleyes:

Yep, no problem here.
Just select advanced and "Subscribe to Podcast"
Enter the url, and that's it.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
New Ipods.. seriously lame.

"PodCast ready"..

My G2 works just fine with Podcasts.

Where has the innovation gone?

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Anyone click the mini once in the ''new iPods'' link and were then sent back to the main store page?

Edit: Nevermind, I can get to the iPod mini page through the normal iPod Store link, link to the minis must be fubbed through that new link...oh well.

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
Unless we see more at the media event, this was a truly stunningly bad update on Apples part. When the iPod needs significant feature additions to compete with the massive contest that is lining up against it, to simply reprice a couple models is about the single worst decision I could possibly conceive of the company making.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
VanMac said:
Glad I got my 30GB Photo version a few weeks ago. The extra 10GB is nice, and only $60 CDN more then the new 20GB. Also not as thick as the 60GB.

Yeah, what a bummer for me, I'm in the market for a new iPod but I want 40 Gb

Hopefully they will come out with a 5G iPod soon.

though a update like this seems like they aren't going to.

Grrrr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.