Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iTunes 5 and Other Peripherals?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
With the release of iTunes Windows, readers saw Apple upgrade iTunes to version 4.1 (from 4.0) and Quicktime to 6.4 (from 6.3). These specific version upgrades were reported the day before the launch, contradicting earlier rumors that the October 16th event would bring iTunes 5.

The original iTunes 5 Rumor first appeared on Page 2 with a similar report posted days later on Appleinsider.

Both unconfirmed reports introduced a concept of "listener loans" as well as a major upgrade to the iTunes jukebox software ("iTunes 5"). These reports appear to be wrong. While there is always the possibility that these upgrades are still in the development pipeline, it appears more likely that the rumors were simply a product of misinformation, and should be considered as such until more information is available.

While we've heard no specific confirmation of the other iPod accessories (photo viewer/bluetooth headphones) , we have received a report that more iPod accessories are in the pipeline.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Re: iTunes 5 and Other Peripherals?

Originally posted by Macrumors
we have received a report that more iPod accessories are in the pipeline.

i hope so. i have no interest in either accessory. an AM/FM tuner would be hot...

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Interesting. I think that listener loans would have two contrary effects: (1) Allow some new uses not previously available. (2) Produce complaints about Apple's "new restrictions". The current iTunes/ITMS/iPod attitude of "do what's reasonable and we won't stand in your way" is about as simple as one can expect while maintaining a little law and order. Having tunes limited to a certain number of plays would make things more complicated and dilute this message. I see the irony that adding new types of music-playing permissions could produce a backlash against "limitations".

Comment

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
how about a radio tuner that you can record on the ipod. That would be good.

Which gives me an idea to tape some triple j (radio station) for the next time I go overseas.

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Apple probably let Belkin do it to show that Apple is not hostile to third parties.

Still, I'd wish Apple would make the new accessories, for the variety of reaons already stated.

Comment

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by arn
Well, depending on how you piece the rumors together...

The ability for Apple to offer songs to be "borrowed" in their entirety. Either limiting the # of plays or the # of days it can be played.

Here's a speculative article on how this could be accomplished:

http://www.chaosmint.com/macintosh/articles/itunes-listener-loans.shtml

arn
Hmm...while this would be a cool idea, I doubt it will happen. Listening to the last two iTunes keynotes, Steve seems to be pretty down on the idea of "renting" music.

Comment

FosterKanig

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2003
Since rumors are hazy, couldn't listener loans = gift certificates and allowance. I know it is not "loans" but the info could have gotten messed up through the pipe line.

Comment

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
I don't know what kind of performance one can expect from headphone using BlueTooth, but it certainly sounds promising.

Comment

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
Originally posted by MattG
Hmm...while this would be a cool idea, I doubt it will happen. Listening to the last two iTunes keynotes, Steve seems to be pretty down on the idea of "renting" music.
Yeah, but rather than renting this would be more like borrowing a CD... (hence 'listener loans'). I'm not sure it goes against what Steve has been saying (which is more directed at subscription services--I don't think you'd have to pay anything for a listener loan).

It would be nice, I think, if you could download a song/album in its entirety and listen to it once or twice before deciding whether it's worth any money.

Obviously, it could be pirated... but most people aren't going to bother. Letting people check out a CD for one listen--akin to borrowing it from a friend before buying it yourself--would probably increase sales in the long run.

I might buy a song if the 30 second preview sounds like a song I could love. I will DEFINITELY buy a song if I hear the whole thing and love it.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by MattG

I assume it would be for free.

arn

Comment

Macco

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
How about Apple makes the iPod system software extensible, so that third parties can write their own applications? That way, companies would be free to create whatever accessories they thought would sell, and not be limited by Apple's firmware upgrades.

Comment

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Originally posted by achmafooma
It would be nice, I think, if you could download a song/album in its entirety and listen to it once or twice before deciding whether it's worth any money.

Obviously, it could be pirated... but most people aren't going to bother. Letting people check out a CD for one listen--akin to borrowing it from a friend before buying it yourself--would probably increase sales in the long run.

I might buy a song if the 30 second preview sounds like a song I could love. I will DEFINITELY buy a song if I hear the whole thing and love it.

I think that's what the guy who created Napster said a few months before they shut him down.

Comment

jbtule

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2003
Originally posted by arn
Well, depending on how you piece the rumors together...

The ability for Apple to offer songs to be "borrowed" in their entirety. Either limiting the # of plays or the # of days it can be played.

Here's a speculative article on how this could be accomplished:

http://www.chaosmint.com/macintosh/articles/itunes-listener-loans.shtml

arn

I think when apple is offering songs for only 99¢ and high quality 30 sec previews, doing a free loan of a song from apple is a little excessive and doesn't promote buying of songs. However, what if I would like a friend of mine to hear a song i own, and I can convert my purchased song into a listener loan that is limited by # of plays or the # of days and i can send it to them electronically, if they like the song when the time is up and they click to play it, they have the option of buying the song from the apple music store to keep playing. So as opposed to just getting loans from apple, now someone would have had to bought the song, and the song is now something that person whose receiving the loaner file probably hadn't heard or thought of buying before and gets a chance to really enjoy it, and unlike a loaner provide by apple which would end up being a song that a user is actively wanting for some reason or another, the user would probably would have just paid the 99¢ with just the 30sec preview.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
How about allowing people to sell "used" tunes or albums back to the Apple Store for a partial refund, as brick and mortar stores allow with audio CDs? The songs you return would be deauthorized and you get a credit that you can apply to new purchases.

Comment

jbtule

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2003
Originally posted by Doctor Q
How about allowing people to sell "used" tunes or albums back to the Apple Store for a partial refund, as brick and mortar stores allow with audio CDs? The songs you return would be deauthorized and you get a credit that you can apply to new purchases.

Get a partial refund and then restore your song from your backup copy.

Comment

.jason

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2003
Midwest, USA
New Accessories

I'm still hoping for a "home stereo" dock. I would like it to be able to power the ipod, have i/r remote, and A/V output to a home stereo receiver. The video portion being an on-screen display of what you can see on the ipod screen. It would completely replace the need for a cd player in my home theatre setup. It could come in a couple of form factors: 1) about like the current dock or 2) a component stereo form factor. The thing I like about this is that it's not far fetched at all, everything but the OSD is available today.

Comment

Macco

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
Originally posted by Doctor Q

The problem with this analogy is that the CD stores buy back the CDs and then sell them to new customers, thus making money. A purely electronical store, such as the iTMS, sells content that is infinitely reproducible. Therefore, it wouldn't benefit at all from buying back your "used" music, unless Apple could somehow work out a way in which the record companies would give money back to Apple for every return... but I doubt that this would work very well. Especially considering that it would be hard to validate that you had gotten rid of this music from all of the iPods and other computers you transfered it to, in addition the CDs you might have burned it to.

Comment

walkingmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2003
Greater Cincinnati
Just reading some of your comments and thoughts and these made me think....

What accessories has Apple made for the iPod?

A quick glance (atleast thats all I did) at the 'cool accessories' part of the iPod site shows that apple really has not made hardly any accessories for their product. I have no doubt they could do it, or that if they did they would totally kick a**. I think they intentially do not make these awesome accessories so that the 'other guys' can get in on the action.

Lets be honest and realistic.... if you had your choice between an Apple or Belkin accessory, or even Griffen for that matter, which would you choose? We all 9/10 times (depending on features of the product) would pick the Apple product for our prized iPods, hands down. Even if that ment spending the extra 20 bucks. That desn't leave much room for other makers does it. I think Apple only goes into such ventures when no one else is developing a solution (IE.... FCP, DVDSP, the iPod itself, iTMS, etc...)

Just my thoughts... I could be wrong.

Comment

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
isnt 'free loan', the pepsi deal?

i think the rumour about "loaner music" is nothing but the Pepsi deal.. 1 mill free songs to try it out.

Comment

walkingmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2003
Greater Cincinnati
Re: isnt 'free loan', the pepsi deal?

Originally posted by jaykk
i think the rumour about "loaner music" is nothing but the Pepsi deal.. 1 mill free songs to try it out.

I don't think so.... key words there were 'try out'. the pepsi deal is a give away.. not a loan

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.