Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While not mentioned in any of the reviews, we've received word that custom Ringtone support is in fact a feature of iTunes 7.3.

A "Ringtone" tab was shown during the original iPhone announcement at Macworld San Francisco, as shown in this photo from Engadget:

ringtone_300.jpg

iTunes 7.3 is listed as a requirement for the iPhone but has not yet been released by Apple. Reportedly, the new version of iTunes will allow you to convert any song that is available on iTunes into a ringtone with the "Make into Ringtone" feature. The cost for this service is $.99. It's not clear, based on information available, whether or not CD-ripped songs can also be easily converted or this is specifically an iTunes Store feature.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
yes, i knew it, but i costs .99cents, that's alot for a short ringtone!!

DavisCollins

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
I think this is a pretty good way to go about providing ringtones. Considering that ringtones from Sprint are what? Like three dollars? One question though, how will we select what part of the song to be the ringtone?

travishill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I don't understand why they have to charge extra for ringtones. Aren't ringtones considered acceptable use for music?

No, in fact- Ringtone licensing was explicitly a separate deal when Apple began the iTunes music store. The record companies rely on ringtones sales as additional revenue (i.e. see the more than $.99 pricing on other carrier's sites) and they would not allow Apple to include that as part of a standard purchase.

I think paying .99 cents for a ringtone separately is a silly thing, but given the other carriers deals- it would be the best deal out there provided by a carrier itself.

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
I wish theyd cost 99 DOLLARS. They are a blight on humanity. All phones should be set to permanent vibrate. Bloody noise pollution!! :)

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Can someone post what ringtones cost in general?

I never use them and the last time i checked years ago ringtones where going for $2.49 or so...

:confused:

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Can someone post what ringtones cost in general?

I never use them and the last time i checked years ago ringtones where going for $2.49 or so...

:confused:
Here in Belgium they cost 4 euros like 5 dollars or something, i've never bought one.

Asar

macrumors regular
May 29, 2006
i think this is a cool feature. however, personally, i wont use a song ringtone. i like the preloaded ones i heard so far just fine. plus i think it separates itself well if your playing a song on your ipod already.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I think this is a pretty good way to go about providing ringtones. Considering that ringtones from Sprint are what? Like three dollars? One question though, how will we select what part of the song to be the ringtone?

as much as i hate it... i know people are trying to bank on ringtones...

but 99cents doesnt seem bad compared to everyone else... but at the same time if you compare it to full songs on itunes... its a rip off... so its one of those things that is compared at how you look at it....

now would i have to purchase a track first then convert that into a ringtone and then that would be another 99cents? or would there just be a feature on the store to just get the ringtone? anyway... we will see

hopefully everything works great...

as far as what part to make a ringtone... apple could make like a 10 second slider that will let you move around the song and hit a button that says make into rintone or something... who knows

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
Kind of figured that would be what happened. Makes sense - whether or not you agree with it. If you don't like it, put your phone on silent and hum the song every time your phone rings.

Tampa Tom

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Wait A Month

There will be a freeware program to convert any mp3 into a ringtone and load it onto the iPhone.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Maybe we can use thoose ringtones on our ipods, yes, ringtones on our ipods yesssss. :p :p
i find this a stupid feature, but if i had and iPhone i would probably buy one...

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
Up till now I always used Nokia phones and you can use ANY .mp3 as your ringtone. It can be a song, sound or whatever you can come up with. And its FREE. I would never ever buy a ringtone! And shame on apple if they are gonna charge for it:mad:

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
This is a good deal. I've seen them run for up to as much as 3 bucks on some networks. I haven't bought one in a while though.

Maybe apple will add like an unlimited ringtone plan on itunes for like $15 a month a or something.

geoffy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
99 cents for a ringtone or 99 cents for the whole song? Doesn't make much sense. Record companies are so out of touch.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Great to see this feature added for those that wanted it and will use it. The price isn't bad either, I bought one ringtone from T-Mo and it was $1.99.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
This is a good deal. I've seen them run for up to as much as 3 bucks on some networks. I haven't bought one in a while though.

Maybe apple will add like an unlimited ringtone plan on itunes for like $15 a month a or something.

15 dollars a month... for just ringtones :eek:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I don't understand why they have to charge extra for ringtones. Aren't ringtones considered acceptable use for music?
It's a murky area. Song publishers (this particular issue isn't so much to do with the recording side of the business) insist that a phone ring is a public performance, other parties (including sellers) see it as personal listening like playing a stereo. A compromise has been in place for several years that involves a higher royalty payment than a regular track purchase, but without the ongoing revenue that public performance usually involves.

This article explains the situation well enough.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
I suppose 99c is a good deal vs other carriers but I wouldnt be surprised if you have to have already purchased the song via ITMS. And its still cheezy - a ringtone gateway is another stab at consumers. I'm not really interested in many hacks for the iPhone but this is one that I hope is made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.