Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
I would recommend getting the mustache and a top hat, you'll fit in perfectly :D

We Canadians tend to shy away from dressing up like Snidely Whiplash; the Mounties can get a little funny about that, you understand. Muah! ha ha!

350px-DoRightCast.JPG

totolad

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2006
Bluetooth

My Bluetooth mouse isn't working after this update, typical!

I'm beginning to think are becoming like McoSoft!

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Does this QT update solve the codec trojan request that's been hitting the news? Software Update mentioned critical security updates, I wondered if anyone had a view?

Cheers

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
"Phase" (the new iPod game) is now available on iTunes for $4.99/£3.99. It looks pretty cool! I'm sure it will prove useful on the tube everyday.

iLounge has a good article detailing the new features of iTunes 7.5

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
I want tabbed browsing in the iTunes store!

Safari and Firefox have trained me to command-click when faced with multiple links I want to follow. I have a parade of tabs across my browser every day and all day, and when I get into the music store, I find myself command-clicking out of habit, as I pass songs and artists I want to look at later but not until I'm done exploring THIS artist; only to be foiled by this missing functionality.

I might do a lot more impulse buying if I could get some tabs in the iTunes store. I've already forgotten half of the intriguing links I passed by when I first fired up the iTunes store 10 minutes ago.

Steve, get me tabbed iTunes store or I'll... register my displeasure on the internet!

markm

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Canada
Re-install from packaged downloads if random things are hosed.

For some reason installing Quicktime and iTunes with Software Update hosed my Spaces. Clicking App icons in the dock would no longer switch to that App's space.

I re-installed Quicktime then iTunes from the downloads at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/ and everything seems to work fine now. So re-install from those packages if you have any problems with anything unusual. Even if the problem's relation to Quicktime or iTunes seems unlikely.

Mark

fyasko

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
iTunes

Never noticed before, but when you have an iTunes purchased song, and you drag it into a playlist that already has that song, it will ask if you want to duplicate or skip. Before the playlist would automaticly duplicate that song.:rolleyes:

Nemisis

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007
Ohio
"This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install the 64-bit version of iTunes."

Um... So there's a 64-bit version now? Got this message under Windows Vista Ultimate x64.
I also got this message...where is this 64 bit version of iTunes?

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
We Canadians tend to shy away from dressing up like Snidely Whiplash; the Mounties can get a little funny about that, you understand. Muah! ha ha!

350px-DoRightCast.JPG

Ok....I didn't see that comming. Just get a regular hat and you'll look like Groucho Marx :D.

*EndCostumeRant*

I also wanted to mention that apparently iTunes 7.5 borks iNdependence:

Nov. 5/07 - Was enjoying the lull before the inevitable storm... as usual, don't upgrade to iTunes 7.5. Looks like Apple removed the private functions needed for jailbreak from the MobileDevice framework. Time to find another way in...

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
typos also stick out like a sore thumb to me. Noticed:

Code:
"4320.341" = "iTunes could not back up the iPhone “^FILENAME” because the backup was canceled.";

"4320.225" = "Canceling backup…";
Should be cancelled

Not in US English. However, as a British English speaker, I agree that canceled looks a bit funny!

Strange how there is many strings related to Rio players in there too. Maybe the old SoundJam player synced with Rio Players back in the day.

As far as I know iTunes still supports those players to this day. iTunes on the Mac has always supported a small set of 3rd-party players, although this support wasn't included in the Windows port of iTunes.

nyandrews

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
iTunes 7.5 - iPhone Calendar Sync Improved

Hello All,

After having updated to iTunes 7.5 my iPhone seems to be syncing the calendar from Outlook 2003 correctly.

Can anyone else confirm.

Thanks!

aznkid25

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
New Podcast Feature

Did anyone also notice in the podcasts section, instead of showing the number of podcasts you have, it shows the number of podcasts that haven't been played.

adge-uk

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
The new 'true VBR' feature seems to be either Tiger or Intel Processor only. On my MacBook, an Apple Lossless file encoded at 128kbs VBR comes out as '132kbs' but when encoded on my Power Mac G5, still running on 10.3.9, the encoded file stays at '128kbs' even with the new updates. The two encoded files are different sizes too. Weird :confused:

I've got the same problem, it seems to be quicktime 7.3 that causes it, I can't tell if it's encoding to the same high quality or just reporting something different like the average kbps rather than the desired target...

For the meatime I'm encoding at 320 kbps (rather than my usuall 256 kbps aac) to ensure I'm not dropping any quality... An explanation of if this is a bug or feature from apple would have been nice...

inkling23

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
san francisco
New Fill Screen Feature in QuickTime

They have slightly improved the quicktime UI, it's a shame it still uses the brushed metal, but they have removed the "Walls" around the video. If you ask me, they should just copy VLC, it works much better anyway with the separate controller module, and the expandable playlist that you can just drop a folder into.

Any thoughts on the new "fill screen" feature in QT? Looks weird using a 4x3 file on a MB. On a 16x9 file, it just zooms in til it fills the screen vertically. Was this new feature necessary?

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Any thoughts on the new "fill screen" feature in QT? Looks weird using a 4x3 file on a MB. On a 16x9 file, it just zooms in til it fills the screen vertically. Was this new feature necessary?

Very much so!

A not-insignificant number of my video files (mainly music videos) are recorded as 16:9 video letterboxed in a 4:3 frame. Quicktime can now automatically remove the black bars so the actual video fills my 16:9 TV whilst preserving the aspect ratio of the picture.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Very much so!

A not-insignificant number of my video files (mainly music videos) are recorded as 16:9 video letterboxed in a 4:3 frame. Quicktime can now automatically remove the black bars so the actual video fills my 16:9 TV whilst preserving the aspect ratio of the picture.
It looks cool but there's still some work that needs to be done. For those who bought movies from iTunes, going to fill screen mode on that isn't good.

For iTunes, it looks fine but I realized they removed the "automatically play music after conversion is complete" feature.. oh well I guess hitting the play button wouldn't hurt. =/

Edit: Never mind about that auto-play feature... seems like Apple made a typo. Apparently "Play songs while importing or converting" also means after to Apple. -_-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.