Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Perhaps iTunes 7.6 will include some bug fixes and a new feature or two and iTunes 8 will be released when 3rd party apps officially launch some time in February. This would make sense as long as the apps are distributed through Apple controlled iTunes. It would also be nice if iTunes 7.6 would be released and used with iPhone software 1.1.3!

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Hey mr echo, what is the file size on that file? Does Get Info give you the video dimension size?

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
The "message" of Family Guy (such as it is), is that we are all shallow, cruel and selfish people and it's humour comes from a very uncool, relishing of that fact. Whomever writes it must have a particularly cruel bent, and an almost hopeless view of humanity in general. I'm betting that he used to pull wings off of flies as a child. ;)

Maybe if you study it in English class it has a "message," otherwise it's just teh funny.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
so what happens when you click update then? Gets you a pre-release itunes too? You'd be Mr Pre-Release (or Miss/Mrs for that matter). And well played with the replys to the not-so-nice commenters. I like to see people that rise against joining in pointless arguments and win with pure wit! Well done and welcome and mac-rumors! I'm sure you'll fit in just fine!

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Very true, but I would guess that they would have to have an impressive visual change or feature (other than accomodating new hardware or new type of product in the iTMS) to warrant a new number release. I can't really imagine what else they could do to iTunes. Certainly not much more visually- my work computer can barely handle cover flow, and its relatively new.

movie rentals would most likely warrant an update that significant.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Just thought of something: if/when Apple starts doing movie rentals, when the rentals expire, maybe we can have an option to extend the rental an extra day and also an option to buy the movie at a reduced cost. Probably the cost of buying the movie - cost of renting it. That way, if you absolutely love the movie, you can buy it. If you totally hate it, you just wasted less money than actually buying it.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
1) First post = Automatic suspicion.

2) Fuzzy photo of CRT cleverly hides Photoshop errors. A lot of UFO photos look a lot like this.

3) Apple often has a little triangle thingie for "More Info..." on such error notifications now.

4) Seems to me a major feature addition like this would not be a .1 upgrade to iTunes.

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Pointless

I'll keep ripping the stuff straight from DVD because it'll be unencumbered by DRM and likely of higher quality AND it's legal for me to do so. Unless Fox./Apple can offer me something I CANT get by ripping a DVD with my standard toolset (VLC et al) I see absolutely no reason that this is anything but a lower class offering.

pamon

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2006
it's a great idea, unknown if mac compatible, but the bigger issue is which retailer broke street date on this by a week? Whomever that retailer is, will be getting a big slap from Apple's Legal/PR teams as well as FOX for selling that prior especially w/ so much on the line w/ the portable copy.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
How would they enable digital rights management on a read-only file? the only thing I can think of is that iTunes will require the DVD to be inserted initially before importing the file into iTunes.

jabooth

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
England
1) First post = Automatic suspicion.

2) Fuzzy photo of CRT cleverly hides Photoshop errors. A lot of UFO photos look a lot like this.

3) Apple often has a little triangle thingie for "More Info..." on such error notifications now.

4) Seems to me a major feature addition like this would not be a .1 upgrade to iTunes.

Hmm I hope your joshing - otherwise you actually think the OP has gone to extraordinary lengths to fake something that really wouldn't be worth spending time over.

You think he built the box too? Have you read the tuaw article? You think he produced the fine print?

I for one believe you OP, and congrats on the find.

Don't let the cynics get to you!! ;)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
it's a great idea, unknown if mac compatible, but the bigger issue is which retailer broke street date on this by a week? Whomever that retailer is, will be getting a big slap from Apple's Legal/PR teams as well as FOX for selling that prior especially w/ so much on the line w/ the portable copy.

DVD-ROM drive required on your PC.
Internet connection required.
Includes PC enhanced digital file at 1.6 Mbps and portable player enhanced digital file at 768 Kbps.
Microsoft Windows PlaysForSure compatible. Contact your device manufacturer or visit http://www.playsforsure.com for more information and compatibility. (Not currently compatible with Apple’s video iPod, Sony PSP, or Microsoft Zune)..
Minimum operating system requirements: Windows XP or Vista Operating System with Microsoft Windows Media Player 10 and above. Latest Windows service pack level and Windows Media Player versions are recommended.
Portable media player must be Windows PlaysForSure compatible and have video playback support of protected WMV files up to 800 Kbps.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
How would they enable digital rights management on a read-only file? the only thing I can think of is that iTunes will require the DVD to be inserted initially before importing the file into iTunes.

Go to the link in my previous post.
You need to register your copy on your computer via the internet with a serial number that comes in the box.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Im hoping with all of this AppleTV gets a software update - and a hardware update with a Blueray player - Id be all over a new AppleTV if that were the case:)

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
This is a way cool idea. However, many people with these "screenshots" end up getting ridiculed by society. (The Mac society) I think that this is real. I want to believe it is. I just can't seem to grasp how this is a good move for either Fox or Apple. Also, what about DVD rentals? Wouldn't they have to block these files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.