iTunes 8 Wishlist

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jmadlena, Jul 31, 2008.

1. jmadlena Guest

I was checkin out the iTunes 7.7.1 update and I started to think about what I would like to see in iTunes 8. Here's a small, rough list.

1. 100% Cocoa - I know that Carbon isn't awful or anything, but I would like to see Apple move away from the technology that it has been telling developers to move away from for years. Time to put your money where your mouth is.
    2. Make 'Album Artist' the Default 'Artist' - I would rather have an album show up under the main artists name (eg John Scofield) rather than the artists that perform on that track (eg Aaron Neville, Dr. John, John Mayer, John Scofield, Mavis Staples & Warren Haynes). Make a 'Track Artist' field. I don't know. I don't have a solution, but I sure do have a problem! :p (I know I can sort by Album Artist, but that doesn't help me when I'm browsing my iPod.
    3. Make Video Viewing Better - I don't know how, I just don't really like it how it is.

Those are the 3 that come to mind right now. What are yours?

2. Mistershark macrumors regular

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. oc2pus macrumors member

Please, make iTunes8 not messing up libraries any more. :)
    A kind of "library history" could be quite nice.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i still don't know why they bumped numbers below the alphabet. that annoys me still.

i'd like to see some better tagging, or well better retrieval methods for tagging personally.

6. 61132 Guest

Allow rental of HD movies, or any video purchase/rental, from itunes, and begin downloading on appletv. So, I can begin an HD download on my appletv on my fast home connection, while I am at work. (so it's done by the time I get home.)

More tagging options for videos (fields that metax allows you to fill out)

Automatic lyric downloads

Automatic DVD import (hey I can wish , right?)

7. jmadlena thread starter Guest

I hadn't thought of that. What exactly would you do with that feature that would make it useful? Not asking factiously, I really can't think of a way. Haha.

That would be nice for those times when you really didn't mean to change an artist to "The Bestles" or delete a song.

Yeah, I would like to a much larger range of supported formats. I don't use Oggs or anything like that, but I know that a lot of people would love it.

You'd think that would be the first feature, wouldn't you? Haha. :)

I think they should stick with whatever sorting of numbers and letters is standard (I don't know which) just for the sake of ease of use for the majority. Or whatever way things are sorted in other apps. iTunes needs to stop being so inconsistent with the rest of the Mac OS X UI.

I know, I know, they use iTunes as a test bed for features in other areas (cover flow is the most prominent example). But I want consistency, not something sticking out like a sore thumb.

Better tagging is a must.

Good list guys, keep it coming!

EDIT:
    All great suggestions, I especially like the beginning the download while away from the home. Perhaps Apple will build this into the Remote app for iPhone? Also the DVD import is something that is incredibly needed, I think. How many DVDs come with the iPod copy on it? Three? Awesome, now can I just put some dang movies on my iPod without having to use Handbrake? Don't get me wrong, I love the app, but I would prefer an Apple solution, just as I assume most of you here would as well. Haha.

8. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

For shuffles-custom EQ setting in iTunes's iPod section.

9. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

the ability to limit by percentages the amount of a certain type of media to be synced to an iPod or iPhone.

For instance,

I want to be able to say that music should only, at maximum, fill 45% of the storage space of the device, video another 40%, and podcasts the remaining 15%, or whatever, and then have iTunes autofill my device for me.

10. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Better support for multiple libraries. I have an Apple Lossless collection on my external and an AAC 128k on my MBP. Each have their own library, but the iTunes preferences must be changed when switching between the two. I hate having to change the location of the library, the import file as ..., unchecking and rechecking "keep iTunes organized" and "add files to library" every time I switch between the two. Just let preferences change when I pick which library I'm using. Seems simple enough to me.

And add support for FLAC.;)

11. reubs macrumors 68000

I would like to have better management options for podcasts. It seems like those haven't been touched on in ages, and the universal options don't cut it since there are so many different types of podcasts available.

12. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Better tagging for movies imported into iTunes. I don't want to have to use MetaX or another tagging program. That's really just a small request, however. I could probably think of some better ones, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

EDIT: Oh...if iTunes could find my music and fill out the rest of the metadata, particularly the genre, that would be great. Optionally, of course.

13. Tosser macrumors 68030

LOL, you read my mind! Only, I use one library for music and another for my own recordings (journalistic work) and spoken word in general.

I tried using Adobe Bridge and in some ways Bridge are utterly great, but then again, at some things it sucks. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong with the tagging and all, but it does seem a bit cumbersome. On the other hand, so does itunes.
    And, YES, add Flac-support! (why haven't they added that yet, btw?)

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

iTunes used to sort with numbers first (as in using browse) because thats what all filesystems do. its the normal. numbers then letters. but for some reason with iTunes 7 i think they bumped all numbers to after Z. which is frustrating to me from an organizational perspective. everywhere else numbers come first.

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

iTunes has become so complex over the years that it has unfortunately become a bit of a monster. What used to be a program that was enjoyable to use is now quite frankly a pain in the arse.

If I want to change the name of a movie why does iTunes have to rewrite the entire file? I added the word 'The' to the beginning of a movie and it took 5 minutes.

If I add artwork to a file it takes minutes to do so.

And dont get me started on descriptions!

MAJOR refinement is needed, hopefully Snow Leopard will bring it!

Oh and not strictly related to the iTunes app but why can't we 'buy' HD movies?

16. iMacmatician macrumors 601

For iTunes 8 / iTunes X / Media Me I want:
    1. Skimming, maybe directly on the song name like the progress bar in Safari
    2. Playing multiple music/videos at the same time
    3. iMovie '08-like (support multiple libraries etc.)
    4. Tags, sort by tags, drag-and-drop tags, search by tags, a picture (like Album Art) for each tag
    5. Cocoa, if not a rewrite
    6. Expand the multiple Get Info box to support anything the single item Get Info box can
    7. Library History - Like Time Machine, go back in time to see play count histories, import histories etc. Does not need Time Machine because all changes are virtual and can be logged in a few .plist files (I'm assuming).
    8. Icon view like the Finder and WMP 11
    9. UPDATE THE ANCIENT 1990'S STYLE PROGRESS BAR ON THE TOP OF THE WINDOW TO SOMETHING MODERN
    10. Automatically track files, like aliases
    11. Open .pdf files in iTunes, not in Preview!
    12. Let's say I have songs 1, 2, 3, and 4 in an album. I want the songs to be shuffled except that song 3 has to play after song 2 all the time. I also want song 1 to have a "weight" of 2 while the other ones have a weight of 1. Different properties like increased volume for that album (not for the songs, so a song played from another album does not see a volume increase) are also good.
    13. Let's say I have a song with a play count of 27. Then I get its music video later on and play it 14 times. Now I have two of the "same" song, one with a play count of 27 and another with a play count of 14. I want both songs to show the total play count (41), while keeping each individual play count.
    14. Have an option to play just the song I double-clicked in an album and nothing else, even when all the songs are checked. Unchecking all songs is not the answer because some of those songs are also in other albums.
    15. "Twin" a song. Twinning allows me to set different properties to both of the twinned songs without creating a second song file, saving disk space.
    16. Hide songs like iPhoto
    17. Tabs
    18. If I want to replace a music video with a higher quality music video, I want the latter to have the same play count, date added, etc. In other words, a true replacement.
    19. Speed up tasks like changing metadata and adding artwork. It's sloooow.
    It was sometime after 7.0. 7.1.3 or something.

17. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

:confused: Why would you want to do that?

18. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I would prefer .pdfs in iTunes to open in iTunes and not in some other application.

19. Tosser macrumors 68030

1: do you mean ”scrubbing” as one would do in audio/video editors?

2: I’m not saying it shouldn’t be in there, but why would you want to play multiple files at the same time?

11: Yes, why pdf-files?

12: Can’t you just select the album only and then up the volume for that particular album only?

18: Please no. That seems to imply, that if you replace it with something with the same name, only, say a live-version, it will actually replace it.

19: Certainly. The bloat seems to be everywhere in that app, slowing everything down.

20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Like iMovie '08.

To see how a song fits a video.

They are supported in iTunes.

Wouldn't that up the volume for every song in that album, so one of those songs in another album would have its volume upped too. In other words, I want songs to have their volume upped when they are played in one particular album and only that particular album.

I would have to do it manually, as an option. Of course I could have two separate ones as well.

21. Tosser macrumors 68030

Don't use iMovie - I don't even have it installed. Do you mean "scrubbing"?

Ah, I see.

They are? Damn, I never knew. I wonder why they even introduced that?

Oh, you must be using smart albums or some other categorisation I don't use. But I see the use of that one.

Ah, goody. I feared something automatic :)

22. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Yeah, scrubbing. Skimming is scrubbing except that you don't have to drag the time marker (just move the mouse over it).

I'm not sure whether iTunes should use skimming or scrubbing.

I use Smart Albums almost exclusively.

23. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

What I want from iTunes is simple!

1) Faster. Much faster. = I shouldn't have to wait more than a half second for a media player to launch. It shouldn't beachball at all just because an iPod is connected, let alone as frequently as it does (and no, it's not just my machine).

2) Better user interface. Much better. = iTunes is one of the worst user interface programs that I use. I only use it because I have an iPod and I have to use it. itunes' interface is very non-intuitive, breaks many universal key commands, is completely bogged down with tons of junk for every apple device ever made whether you have that device or not (e.g. appleTV, airtunes speakers, iphone, ipod touch, iphone app store, etc.)

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Because when you purchase certain albums from iTunes you get the album artwork booklet as a pdf, but when you try to open it from your iTunes library it pops open preview.

I want the ability to hide songs as well. I have many songs in my library that are my little brother's. I can't stand them, but I purchased them with my iTunes account so he could sync them and I'd like to not have them show up. I'd also like for better/easier comment tagging. A more robust metadata tagging system with a muuuuuch greater amount of options for smart playlists. So I can easily make a dance mix, happy mix, driving mix, etc.