iTunes 9 Redesign

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MBX, Sep 9, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

So who likes the new iTunes store redesign? I'm not sure if i'm really liking it, seems like a step backwards from the nice coverflow look. It's now much more like a website and to me the layout seems a little less clear.

Also why did they change the album view in iTunes itself? It was a nice black background with rounded album corners and now it's this harsh white background really burning in my eyes.

2. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

Well, I usually don't like too many GUI updates, but I really like this one. Both the new overall look and the changes to the store. For my tastes, they nailed it. Very clean, very easy to read. I don't think the white background is too harsh, but it would be nice if they allowed users to change or adjust the background.

3. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

4. swmbuk macrumors newbie

What I don't understand is how they ship a product 2 weeks after SL, and decide to use a totally different theme? I don't really like the new iTunes at all, features are great but the overall look is quite tacky and totally out of place with the rest of Snow Leopard.

5. theappleguy macrumors 6502

I agree, what's the deal with iTunes always having a different theme to everything else... :rolleyes:

6. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Agreed, my first thought on seeing the new iTunes was hating the white background on the apps view etc.

Really bad move in my opinion.

7. umbilical macrumors 6502a

white background really sucks!!!!!!!!! :mad:

a option like iphoto for change???? with drop shadow or outline??? white or black!!!! white really are tooo bad apple!!!!!!!!! BUT MOVES LIKE SNIPPER! I have 400gb of music, when close and open the thing are slow, or for searchs between artist, but now are tooo fast! and I dont have Snow Leopard!

Attached Files:

8. EmeraldICE macrumors member

I like the new store layout, and the overall feel of 9 feels snappier, but holy cow... that white background just ruins it.

9. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

Hmm. Well, I don't like the fact that they've gotten rid of my ability to buy songs using a shopping basket, I don't like the fact that you can no longer adjust the column width when browsing songs to see the full title.

I do, however, like the shortcut bar at the top and the built-in wish-list.

10. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

The green ball at the top no longer changes to the compact iTunes "remote" thing for me :( it just adjusts the size of my iTunes Window.... LAME.

11. swmbuk macrumors newbie

Press option key whilst doing so.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

Genius!

Thanks...
    :)

13. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Not knocking it, but do a lot of people use the album view in iTunes? I don't think I've ever used anything other than list view.

14. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Thank you!

Good to know it wasn't removed, however option + green ball? Thumbs down... yeah i'm lazy, but its the little things.

15. swmbuk macrumors newbie

List only, used cover flow for a while then got bored of the novelty, the new artists columns quite cool, useful for quickly switching artists.

They've reversed the functionality using the option key used to minimise.

16. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I enjoy the store update as it does make it easier to navigate through the store and the Genius feature for apps is cool. I don't enjoy the change in theme again from Snow Leopard.

Just seen the play button, its shadowed and looks very cool.

17. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

WTF is up with the weird gradient on the toolbar, whiter near the center. Looks awful imo.

18. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

19. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The gradient is just plain weird.

I can't decide whether it looks futuristic or extremely retro. For some reason it reminds me of a very old version of iTunes. Just seems tacky.

And now it completely clashes with the entire OS.

:confused:

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I thought I was tripping out when I couldn't get itunes to go into mini mode but overall I like the new look but the white background is too bright for my eyes...I don't mind the glass looking outer boarder and the itunes store looks good but that white background in my music/movie library is "meh"

Bless

21. devburke Guest

That’s not new, they’ve just moved it to the side instead of the top (although I’m glad they give you the option to move it back, as I prefer having artist and album, and that gets too crowded with it on the side)

22. I'm 5 ft 8 macrumors regular

I'm 5 ft 8

I like the white background. This discussion board has a white background and it seems to work. Does anyone know how to get a newly created genius playlist into the genius mix area ?

23. Dany M macrumors 6502

I love it, the contrast from 8 is very notable and i really like the bright white look.

24. theappleguy macrumors 6502

I actually don't mind the white backgrounds either.

25. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Oh i hate it already, looks odd. Heres what i posted in the iTunes 9 released thread

Have to say i'm not a fan of the white look, a slider like in iPhoto would be grand because i would love to get back to the charcoal grey look when in the grid view. I love the new iTunes bar menu at the top of the store but my OCD was horrified to find they had left the little iTunes store side menu duplicating menu's. This is driving me nuts. To me it just looks wrong. Very wrong. Also have they lightened the grey at the top of the window (with the trafic lights ) not keen on that.

Did the UI designers fall asleep on this one and phoned it in?

It looks like somebody went to town with the ugly stick this revision!