Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Why do I need to pay anyone anything to be able to do this? I have an always-on internet connection, I'd be plenty happy to stream my music from my home computer.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
i just need itunes to raise the song total to about 30k songs and include tv show uploads, and we're in business

i wonder
1. if this is a wi-fi only feature
2. how will it adapt to recognizing user created song tags

Last edited:

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Why do I need to pay anyone anything to be able to do this? I have an always-on internet connection, I'd be plenty happy to stream my music from my home computer.

It's a good question and we know the answer. You don't have to pay anyone.

Others like me will have to pay for the convinience of this service. I can't wait to get rid of this enormous iTunes library on my MBP. I'm more and more likely to jump on the MBA ship. Don't have to worry about space anymore.

The future is looking very promising.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
You are correct. I was acting under the assumption that most people had already done that.

My bad.

And I was actually wrong as well. It is 30c per song. Something like $3 an album. Which if you have a lot of albums, adds up.

Tuck

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Spotify= $4.99 per month = $59.98 per year.

iTunes Match = $24.95 Per year.

That's like comparing apples and oranges. With Spotify, you're paying to have unlimited access to their entire streaming library. With iTunes Match, you have to pay for the music you want to listen to on a per song or per album basis. iTunes Match only gives you the ability to sync your music between devices, have unlimited access to previous purchases, and get online access to songs you already owned/illegally downloaded.

They're very different "Cloud" solutions.

Tuck

----------

Will this work over your Wireless Carrier 3G or Edge connection?

Probably only if you jailbreak.

Tuck

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Ok, a very realistic scenario (even though we are not supposed to mention it) but I've lived with a few teenagers and their music collections.

They go to some torrent site and download the latest album they want, then they have the MP3 files, unknown bit rate, onto their Mac or PC.

They have this new service from Apple. Are we still saying the same thing we did months ago, that Apple will identify these illegal downloaded tracks and replace them for free with official iTunes tracks that you can then download/stream in the future in the exact same was as if they bought them from iTunes in the 1st place?

FreddyisReady

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

What exactly does this service offer that I can't already do with an app like Audio Tap? I paid $1.99 and I stream everything from my computer to my iPhone over 3G or wifi. I can even create playlists. It works perfectly.

I'm just not getting that this service will do anything I haven't already been doing for ages, that is, avoid ever needing to sync music to my phone and just streaming all 20,000 or so songs from my computer.

Am I missing something here?

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
What the little demo didn't show is what exactly happens with that file he downloaded. Is it accessible in the Finder to be "kept forever" or has the computer truly become just another iOS-style "device" where the underlying file system is not really accessible, and the downloaded track is only visible or able to manipulated from within iTunes? Is the iTunes Library now like the iPhoto Library?

Personally I don't care, but there were some heated arguments a while back about whether iTunes Match would be purely streaming or would actually let customers "keep" all the 256kbps files they could possibly download/hoard, essentially making it an all-you-can-eat buffet for a one-time $25 fee. Looks like the streaming is clearly in place, but whether or not downloading means "for keeps" remains to be seen. My prediction: no.

Also curious if the latest iTunes will close the CD-burning loophole. Apple's deal with the record companies on this is suddenly believable if all the tracks are "trapped" inside of iTunes on the various devices, including computers.

Well, something has to be in place for sure. I always wondered how theyre gonna stop people from white-washing 25000 pirated records too. I'd gladly pay 25 usd to do that, im not so sure that the record companies would be very happy about it though.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I have a truly unlimited 3G data plan with "3" in the UK and get great speeds wherever I am. :)

But I'm in the UK so who knows when I'll be able to make use of it. :(

Last edited:

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
I had to try and sign up for this service, only to discover that my iTunes library is over 25,000 songs. Wait? What? Sure enough, it is 28,000 songs... and to think, I thought my library was a small one!

DiSTURBED-oNE

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
1. Hope this comes to Australia and not just to the US.
2. All my music is Apple Lossless, so hopefully they will allow me to upload these.
3. Hope they don't get rid of the iPod classic, as again, I need my music in Apple Lossless.

Torresangel88

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5302b Safari/7534.48.3)

Piggie said:
Ok, a very realistic scenario (even though we are not supposed to mention it) but I've lived with a few teenagers and their music collections.

They go to some torrent site and download the latest album they want, then they have the MP3 files, unknown bit rate, onto their Mac or PC.

They have this new service from Apple. Are we still saying the same thing we did months ago, that Apple will identify these illegal downloaded tracks and replace them for free with official iTunes tracks that you can then download/stream in the future in the exact same was as if they bought them from iTunes in the 1st place?

Yes

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Noticed a few others have asked this but haven't seen an answer so wondering if anyone knows...

If you have ripped music of low quality 128kbps, then you pay for the itunes match service, it will upgrade the music to 256kbps if they have the same songs on the itunes store. So if I cancel the service do I own the 256kbps version or the 128kbps?
I'm curious what happens if the user ripped the track at a higher bitrate. I'm happy for the cloud version to be 256kbps (for streaming) as long as if it ever syncs to a machine that has my higher quality version it doesn't try and replace the file with the lower quality one.

It'd be nice for users with 128bps tracks to be upgraded, but not if it then downgrades other ones.

edit: As noted it'll be interesting to see not only what happens to the iPod classic but what the next nano may look like also.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

This service is only available on the Mac platform at the moment so forget about PC's for now.

Also the music industry agreed to try this out with Apple knowing people were gonna put lets say..nefarious collected music onto their computer. This is why it is only available in the United States for now. It being tested on a platform that only hold a market share of about 6-10%.

In short iTunes match will match any music you have on your mac provided it is in the format that Match allows.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
I'm wondering if there are going to be nefarious programs out there that will try to "game" the system.

What I mean is, someone writes a program that makes an mp3 song file that "fools" the iTunes match system into thinking you have that song on your system...then it just automatically gives you that song from their iCloud servers.

Let's say I don't own "Oh Darlin" on Abbey Road by The Beatles. I fire up this hypothetical program, it makes a random mp3 file that's just noise, but it's the same size as "Oh Darlin" and has all the meta-data about the song attached to it and it puts it in my iTunes library. Then iTunes match comes along, see's "oh, he has "Oh Darlin" now, let's make available the 256-bit version to him on our servers". Wham...free song without having to go to Pirate Bay or wherever.

They have safe-guards against this? Just curious.

this has been discussed, and yes... if possible someone is surely working on that. probably easier said than done though, and perhaps not very worth-while if you can just download (read: pirate) said song and white-wash it.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011

That will happen, yes. But look at it this way. Previously the industry was making $0 from these users. Now they make $25. It's not a lot, but it's more than they otherwise would have received.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
No, they added the option to upgrade songs for 30c per album - it would be great to pay the $25 once to have all of your old DRMed music upgraded to iTunes Plus.

Tuck

...if you could extract it from your iWorld, yes. If not, we're taking a step back here.

----------

That will happen, yes. But look at it this way. Previously the industry was making $0 from these users. Now they make $25. It's not a lot, but it's more than they otherwise would have received.

You dont know the music industry operates, that much is clear :D

(and no, theyre not making 25 by apple charging 25.)

monoskier

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

What exactly does this service offer that I can't already do with an app like Audio Tap? I paid $1.99 and I stream everything from my computer to my iPhone over 3G or wifi. I can even create playlists. It works perfectly.

I'm just not getting that this service will do anything I haven't already been doing for ages, that is, avoid ever needing to sync music to my phone and just streaming all 20,000 or so songs from my computer.

Am I missing something here?

As mentioned before, you don't have to leave your computer on to stream. The annual power savings on your utility bill should more than pay the annual $25 iTunes Match fee.
Plus it syncs with all of your devices, and (presumably) your computer at work also.

Honest question, does Audio Tap or any of the other comparable services do that?

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
You dont know the music industry operates, that much is clear :D

(and no, theyre not making 25 by apple charging 25.)
Feel free to enlighten me then. They must have come to a conclusion similar to what I stated otherwise they wouldn't have gone through with the deal. The record companies aren't daft enough to have not worked out that users would attempt to use illegitimate copies to gain ones from Apple.

When I said "They make $25" that was inclusive of Apple, they also sell music after all and thus are part of the industry and are also affected by piracy.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
i just need itunes to raise the song total to about 30k songs and include tv show uploads, and we're in business

i wonder
1. if this is a wi-fi only feature
2. how will it adapt to recognizing user created song tags

how in the world do you have 30k songs that aren't available in iTunes?!!

I think you misunderstand how this works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.