Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
It seemed as if--even with the amount of announcements--some things were missing from Wednesday's shindig.

1) No beatles
2) No movie deal

3) No storage increases for shuffle & nano
4) No bluetooth and built in radio for nano & classic

I think the reason for lack of capacity increases are based on the market. Either Apple won't pay higher prices, or the shortages are affecting the lower-end flash market.

I would hope for this to be resolved come MacWorld; that would allow 2GB & 4GB shuffles with 8GB, 12GB, & 16GB nanos next fall.

Maybe Apple will never include radio. But why, then, do they sell $49 the accessory? Is the actual price too expensive to include by default in iPods? If digital radio is the future, and the classic and nano never have wifi, how are they supposed to have radio? I would really really love an FM tuner.

But what I don't get: why not include bluetooth for wireless syncing? Is it also too expensive?

-=|Mgkwho

Fluffymuff

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
Well that's your opinion. But I like not driving to stores to get and return DVD's. I also like their streaming service also included in my monthly fee. I get 17 hours per month in addition to 3 DVD's at a time.

So it's so 2006? What do you get and what's the cost of it?
Blockbuster, because it now out-netflixes netflix with in-store exchange. Best of both worlds. I also like downloading from iTunes (Netflix download doesn't work with macs). The only problem with Blockbuster is that they are always handing out coupons that are too confusing to figure out how to use.
Please tell me a better solution that's better and not so 2006ish!
2002: Blockbuster
2003: Blockbuster (+Netflix)
2004: Netflix
2005: Netflix
2006. Netflix (+Blockbuster)
2007: Blockbuster (+ iTunes)
2008: Blockbuster + iTunes
2009: iTunes

:)

Random Ping

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
This is what I've been waiting for in :apple:TV. I won't even consider getting one until this happens.

I love my AppleTV. Video podcasts are much more enjoyable watching on TV while sitting in my recliner, and I've downloaded a number of TV shows too. Even audio podcasts (like NPR's Science Fridays) are enjoyable through the stereo while relaxing in an easy chair.

However, video rental will be the killer-app for AppleTV. If Apple brings this out, they will continue separating me from my money.

Random Ping

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
That would be really really great. Because people ususally don't want to own movies in contrast to music. I watch a movie once. THats it. I listen to my music sometimes a hundred times.

Ding, ding, ding. And we have a winner! That pretty much sums up why there should be two different financial models for two different media types.

Random Ping

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
720p tops...since that is the highest the Apple Tv allows for, no 1080p yet.

Knowing Apple, they will release a DVD-quality version at 480p, then later you will be able to re-rent the same movie at HD of 720p. And then still later you can re-re-rent the same movie at a "true" HD of 1080p. :D

Random Ping

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
Am I the only person left on the planet that doesn't like digital distribution? I for I like having a hardcopy of my content.

I thoroughly agree... for some content. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc., are movies that I am going to buy on commercial DVDs (and usually multiple times in different versions and formats :p). I like the quality, the longevity, the extras, the case, etc.

However, for most movies and TV shows, I just want to watch them once.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Rental (not renal!) movies would be fantastic. So long as they're also available outside the USA!

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
i would do rental movies through itunes. in fact, this would be perfect since i now have a commute on the train and i watch shows on my iphone all the time. i haven't purchased a lot of movies from the itunes store since i'm not sure if i'll like them and i don't want to pay full price if that's the case.

what they need to make sure they do is add an option to buy after you've rented it - at least allow people to pay only the remaining amount of the full price after the rental.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I was hoping some :apple: TV needs woould be released last Wednesday. I want to put my apple:TV to more use then it is now (only using for music, podcast, YouTube viewing which overall is lame).

New Apple TVs will come when a rental service is announced, with the double, and possibly triple whammy of goodness, too many people will be unable to resist.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
I'm just waiting for the complaints that Apple might actually be charging money for movie rentals to come rolling in. Or better yet, i'm sure there will be a hack for this coming out shortly so no one will have to pay for this service. :)

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
That would be really really great. Because people ususally don't want to own movies in contrast to music. I watch a movie once. THats it. I listen to my music sometimes a hundred times.

You know its funny, I have touted this same logic myself and then look up to my shelf and see over 200 DVDs and realize that its not true. While I may not watch a movie over and over, there is something about owning it that is attractive. Its the same way I feel about books. I love collecting books and have many bookshelves full of books I will only read once or twice!

Go figure :D

Kevin

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
This seems like a candidate for an intentional leak.

Apple has thus far had to drag the music, TV and movie industry by the nose to get them to embrace digital downloads. Part of the problem is that those industries must rethink their traditional revenue streams in order for this to work and it appears that they are not willing to go all the way. Witness the way Apple, even now, has a hard time retaining some of them.

So, what a better way to send shockwaves through those very groups but to signal, surreptitiously via the rumor sites (so it can simultaneously be denied) that there is a rental system in the pipeline. It's a nice little treat for the rumor site regulars but even moreso, it's something to make those content providers who are sitting on the fence quake in their boots. So, NBC thinks Amazon's Unbox is the way to go? I think a movie and TV rental service on iTunes would all but wipe the playing field clean. I seriously don't see how any competitors could survive in that atmosphere. And knowing that, I imagine some execs at NBC might be having some very unpleasant dreams in the coming weeks and doing some serious soul-searching when it comes to their attitude toward iTunes.

I could be totally off-base, but this big a gaffe seems really unlikely to have been an accident. The only other time it has happened was the G5 "premature specification." Not much of a history for accidental slips on Apple's part.

iSlicer

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2007
Himeji, Japan
Blanket Comments?

Hi guys, whats with all the blanket comments such as:
"People don't want to own movies, they watch them once like me. People want music because I listen to a song maybe 100~1000 times."
Well, that's great. For you. I hope when apple snoops are reading these pages they actually don't pay too much attention. Because I FOR one, love owning my own films, because I actually watch them more than once. Remember not too long ago, all those images of the "Fat Boy" that were leaked? A lot of people started protesting that Apple had lost the plot. Since the Keynote, most have changed their tunes. I am glad they didn't run back to the drawing board, because "to me" it's a fantastic product.

All I know is, we all have differenet requirements when it comes to online purchases and how we consume media. I hope Apple can give us a diverse range of options for purchasing / renting. They own the market, so I guess until now, they have been doing something right.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
3) No storage increases for shuffle & nano
4) No bluetooth and built in radio for nano & classic

I'm with you there on No. 3 and bluetooth but I just don't understand the continuous request for radio. If most markets are like the Boston market then why would anyone want radio? All they do is talk and play ads. Good radio is gone. Give me music or give me dead air!

Note: I just paid a visit to another market and was pleasantly surprised at how much better the stations were. Let's hope the influences of corporate radio here don't spread into your area.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'm with you there on No. 3 and bluetooth but I just don't understand the continuous request for radio. If most markets are like the Boston market then why would anyone want radio? All they do is talk and play ads. Good radio is gone. Give me music or give me dead air!

Note: I just paid a visit to another market and was pleasantly surprised at how much better the stations were. Let's hope the influences of corporate radio here don't spread into your area.

You can thank Clear Channel for that.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City

I dont understand the desire for wireless syncing (too slow, doesnt charge the device, and burns the batteries up in the process) or radio..

This was only a matter of time. Apple refreshed the entire iPod line for a reason. They all play video now (save the shuffle obviously) and, perhaps, they have some hardware aspects that make them compatible with a future DRM scheme for rental video. Of course, that means our iPhones also have said hardware. Someone should investigate!

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
My view is this: I don't have the time or patience for movie theaters much these days primarily due to the audience. It's not fun when someone cell goes off, people have loud conversations, or parents bring their six month old to a show. It's not a pleasant experience. What the studios SHOULD do is do digital rental and theatrical release the same day. And if that isn't an option fine... I still would like to easily rent a movie digitally before deciding to go out and buy the DVD. I use Blockbuster.com right now but the days between returning and getting your new DVD sucks. When I decide to watch a movie I want to watch it right now. I don't want the hassle of having to wait a few days or driving to the local Blockbuster.

And while pay-per-view is a good step it sucks for those of us who have Tivo and can't access our cable providers pay-per-view content.

I've held off on buying an :apple:TV because I don't want to spend $14.99 on a gamble. If they make rental an option then I will gladly give Apple my $299.

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
if the price is right, I will cancel my netflix.
Netflix watch now is windows only, which pisses me off.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
I would love to see how this is implemented, if you dont get to watch the full thing, or your computer crashed before you watched the whole thing, i have a hard time seeing how this will be taken care of during issues where ur computer craps out or u have to leave for that emergency thing that happens

I noticed the reference to "AccidentalPurchase-RenalMovie".

Why would Apple assume that accidental purchases would be exclusively for movies about kidneys?

:confused:

yea....you seen one movie about kidneys...you've pretty much seen 'em all! :)

s10

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2002
Los Angeles
Rental is the way! Start watching while you're downloading a must. a combination with Netflix would be a hit!

davedelong

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2007
Right here.
I registered just so I could post this comment...

I think that this is true (gosh i hope it is). I hope that Apple offers a couple different pricing models. One might be where you rent an individual movie for, say, $2.99 and get the whole 30 day viewing deal on any two devices. But as a low-income college student, I would much rather see a Netflix-style subscription basis, where you pay something like $20 - $25 a month and get any number of movies you want.

The advantage of this would be that the people who want to watch the occasional movie would get their easy price ($2.99), but the "hardcore" movie addicts would get an amazingly awesome deal of being able to download and watch, say, a movie a day for the price it would cost to buy 1 or 2.

On top of that, I expect that we'll see the iTunes WiFi store come to the :apple:TV. It's already got the wireless connection, and even if a home doesn't necessarily have a wireless router, all Macs with a wireless card also have the "Internet Sharing" preference, basically turning the Mac into a wireless router. So think about it. You're sitting there on your couch thinking "what should I do this evening?" So you activate your :apple:TV, start browsing the store, find a movie you want to watch, start downloading it, watch it, and have it automatically synced to your Mac for viewing (again) later, if you want.

Holy cow that would be freaking sweet.

Dave

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
So when would the announcement be?

The early September ipod thing is over, which they have done in the past. I usually don't expect much until January from here on out so is there a 'traditional' time that apple announces such a significant new feature that possibly touches apple tv, ipod touch, iphone and obviously itunes? Leopard release perhaps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.