Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Has anyone really tested whether the new 256 versions sound better than the old 128 ones? Or is the advantage more theoretical, even on good sound systems?

I think it really depends on the type of music. Some seem to sound "fuller" but most of the songs you need high end speakers to tell the difference.

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
I've upgraded all I can at the moment :)

It's annoying that you have to pay to upgrade though, and the fact you have to do it all at once - it would be nice just to say have a "I don't want to upgrade this track, it's fine if you never give me the option to again" option.

But, I knew exactly what I was getting into when I purchased DRM'd music from the store (granted, not a great deal but there's some I certainly want in iTunes Plus) so I only have myself to blame for anything I have to do/pay now :p

Valmor

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
Does anyone else have to wait ridiculously long at the "processing file" stage when downloading iTunes Plus files?

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
The Evil Secret Plan of Apple.... is... well... maybe I'm the FIRST one to realize that the sudden "explosion" of DRM-free 256kbps higher-quality and DOUBLE-THE-SIZE tracks means that many many many iPod Nano (and older iPod owners) will be forced to buy newer iPods/iTouches for the larger capacity.

Including me. Once I upgrade all my tunes to the Plus format, my 8gb Nano will have little space left. Ugh. Time to buy a larger capacity ipod.

Did no one else realize this? :eek:
:apple:It will be a 1/2MB at the most.Take off two songs and your fine 8GBS is still a lot for just music!:apple:

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
has itunes rescinded some plus offerings? i checked on tuesday and i had 34 items (6 albums, 28 songs) now its only 32 (6 albums, 26 songs) but i don't know what's missing.

also, there's a complete my album for every track i've bought so far now. anyone think it'd be worth it to wait till april to see if some cd prices drop?

Macnator

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
Canada
has itunes rescinded some plus offerings? i checked on tuesday and i had 34 items (6 albums, 28 songs) now its only 32 (6 albums, 26 songs) but i don't know what's missing.

also, there's a complete my album for every track i've bought so far now. anyone think it'd be worth it to wait till april to see if some cd prices drop?

I noticed that too. I checked earlier, then looked just a moment ago, and my total was at $44. Previously it was at $45. Really strange, I would expect more to be there, not taken away! :D

EDIT: OMG!! Now its at $43, it went down again!!! What is going on, maybe some technical difficulties??

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I noticed that too. I checked earlier, then looked just a moment ago, and my total was at $44. Previously it was at $45. Really strange, I would expect more to be there, not taken away! :D

EDIT: OMG!! Now its at $43, it went down again!!! What is going on, maybe some technical difficulties??

It is a percentage of the price of these songs. Maybe the price for some albums was reduced, which would reduce the cost of upgrading as well.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I don't think I'm going to upgrade b/c some of the upgradeable ones are songs I don't even want anymore (anyone remember the mispriced Kiss album? I got that cheap, never listened to it, and I certainly don't want to upgrade it!). I don't usually buy from the iTS, so I'm sitting at just under $15. Even still, that's $15 that could go somewhere else!

Macnator

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
Canada
It is a percentage of the price of these songs. Maybe the price for some albums was reduced, which would reduce the cost of upgrading as well.

Hmm. Ok well, Before it said 145 songs, now its at 139 songs. Also, on the iTunes Store homepage, on the right where it says "Upgrade to iTunes Plus" the little bubble there was showing 76. Now its at 71.

So I am a tad lost here. :D

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I want to upgrade but I think iTunes is not going to let me upgrade the majority of my iTunes purchases because of the following purchases:

The Complete U2
The Complete Bob Dylan
Complete Depeche Mode
Complete Led Zeppelin

Most of the albums and singles I have are available for upgrades but I want to be able to upgrade everything.

rustys6004

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
Central US
** Apple: Let us selectively upgrade songs **

There are plenty of benefits to the iTunes Plus format, and I've been buying them when I can since they were first introduced. As a reminder, songs in iTunes+ form cost the same additional 30 cents when they first became available. After a few months the cost dropped from the 1.29 to the 99 cents consistent with non-plus files. I've occasionally upgraded my library and the process works OK, though there are problems with large downloads, and I seem to remember having issues where I had changed the meta data (album artist, composer, etc) and that data was lost when the Plus versions replaced the originals.

My problem, like many of you, is that doing all my tunes at one time will be costly, and if there are any issues with the replacements I will have headaches for days. Today I am offered the opportunity to drop $236.10 upgrading 794 songs, but unfortunately that will still leave over 800 more Protected AAC files to be upgraded as they dribble into the store, for a probably total cost of over 500 bucks.

Like several other posters here, I have tunes that I purchased for my kids, for one time events, by mistake, that I don't like, that I subsequently bought on CD, etc, and I just can't see upgrading all of them. And let's not forget the files are larger, so if you're close to a full iPod like I am it will cause issues with it too.

I guess if it is all or nothing, I'm going to have to choose nothing. Apple, if you're listening, please rethink this policy and come to the rescue of your best customers, because the more we bought in the past the more we have to spend now to upgrade the files.

Attachments

• iTunePlus_2.jpg
    iTunePlus_2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 264

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
One good reason to not upgrade something from within your iTunes library is the singles that were released prior to getting the entire album by an artist. For example, I purchased Rush's Far Cry single, Black Sabbath's The Devil Cried single and R.E.M.'s Supernatural Superserious single.

So, why would I want to spend the money on upgrading these when I bought the actual albums when they were released?

iTunes should atleast leave out the redundant tracks or if you purchased the actual CDs and you don't want to upgrade these you should not have to.

I hope they, Apple, put out a checkmark system in the future to allow you to put a check by the songs/videos you want to upgrade. I won't be upgrading anything until some system like this is in place. So, Apple will be losing out on money when they could be getting atleast some of it by allowing me the Freewill [had to get that in there] of chosing which tracks I want to upgrade.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I did the upgrade, it cost me a £1 for about 5 songs (i rarely buy songs from iTunes) so i didn't mind all that much.

Nitromaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Ireland.
I'll likely upgrade everything in my libary as to be honest I haven't purchased much from iTunes.
Is video quality increased with iTunes plus?

Question
I have "I dont care" by fall out boy, the single version.
For 9euro it's eligible for "Complete My Album" (single was pre-release album)
However the song on it's own is eligible for upgrading to "itunes plus" for 30cent.

If I completed the album what would happen to the single?
Would it still be listed seperately on the iTunes plus upgrade page?
Or should I upgrade the single first and then complete the album?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Hmm. Ok well, Before it said 145 songs, now its at 139 songs. Also, on the iTunes Store homepage, on the right where it says "Upgrade to iTunes Plus" the little bubble there was showing 76. Now its at 71.

So I am a tad lost here. :D

Yeah my bubble says 70 songs but when I click it says 231 songs. I'm confused as well.

I just got a $60 gift card, so looks like that's going to get used. Oohh I'm not happy; it charged my credit card oppose to the credit balance on my account. :mad:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
There are plenty of benefits to the iTunes Plus format, and I've been buying them when I can since they were first introduced. As a reminder, songs in iTunes+ form cost the same additional 30 cents when they first became available. After a few months the cost dropped from the 1.29 to the 99 cents consistent with non-plus files. I've occasionally upgraded my library and the process works OK, though there are problems with large downloads, and I seem to remember having issues where I had changed the meta data (album artist, composer, etc) and that data was lost when the Plus versions replaced the originals.

My problem, like many of you, is that doing all my tunes at one time will be costly, and if there are any issues with the replacements I will have headaches for days. Today I am offered the opportunity to drop $236.10 upgrading 794 songs, but unfortunately that will still leave over 800 more Protected AAC files to be upgraded as they dribble into the store, for a probably total cost of over 500 bucks.

Like several other posters here, I have tunes that I purchased for my kids, for one time events, by mistake, that I don't like, that I subsequently bought on CD, etc, and I just can't see upgrading all of them. And let's not forget the files are larger, so if you're close to a full iPod like I am it will cause issues with it too.

I guess if it is all or nothing, I'm going to have to choose nothing. Apple, if you're listening, please rethink this policy and come to the rescue of your best customers, because the more we bought in the past the more we have to spend now to upgrade the files.

This whole upgrade charge has been dumb from the beginning. People who barely buy stuff from iTunes will most likely do it, while us iTunes crackaholics won't because, as you showed, it'll cost HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS to do it.

I mostly listen to music through my iPhone, either via headphones or a cable to my car stereo. I honestly can't tell you which songs are iTunes v. iTunes plus v. Amazon v. ripped at 256k AAC v. ripped at 128k mp3. I can't tell it when using my MacBook Pro to play them through decent computer speakers, and I can't tell it using ANY dock I own.

So I don't get punishing the loyalest of customers with the burden of the cost. There's no way I'd pay more than 5 cents/track (or 5 percent) to upgrade. I'm at $210 myself, and I'd rather have an iPhone 3G someday than "better" music.

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
I'm not. I don't even know what it means? Why would I want to upgrade to that? I heard it has DRM free music. Not sure what that means. Enlighten me, please.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I'm not upgrading for awhile. I really thought about it but I have a 160GB Classic that is in full sync with my MBP library (which is about 43GB) therefore, I don't see a reason to NEED to go full DRM-free right now. Now, if I didn't have an iPod dock cable in my Pilot I might reconsider but at this point I'm not hindered enough to have to pull out a $305 "upgrade".

As with everyone else, I'd like to be able to pick and choose what I want to upgrade. It would be nice to do this in steps, maybe 10 albums per week or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.