iTunes SUCK (some peoples opinion)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PracticalMac, Jul 5, 2011.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I have 4 friends now that dumped their iPhone not because of the iPhone, but because of iTunes.

I am also amazed that iPhone does not use the memory in the SIM card to save contacts, nor do you have the option too (need expensive 3ed party apps, maybe needing to jailbreak the phone too).

The last friend to dump iPhone, with extreme prejudice, happened because almost all of his contacts vanished after a sync and iOS update.

Personally iTunes is not as easy to use as I would expect from an Apple product, but it hasn't given me any serious issue.

Is Apple failing with iTunes?

2. BrHop156 macrumors member

BrHop156

Yes, it does suck, hard. iOS 5 will be a godsend, for podcasts just use downcast.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk!

3. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Listen, I don't think iTunes is good by any stretch of the imagination. But how can you say it SUCKS!? It can be slow on Windows and has a few quirks but for the most part it's decent software. Coming back to the iPhone from the Galaxy S2, if you want to see software that SUCKS check out Samsung's Kies. AWFUL!

4. BrHop156 macrumors member

BrHop156

iTunes is the slowest, buggiest piece of bloatware on windows.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk!

5. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Couldn't agree more! Absolutely hate that POS!

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The concept of iTunes is good, but it's got some performance issues.
    I personally haven't had an issue with it beside it running like garbage. I especially like the fact that I can "backup" my whole iPhone.

As for contacts, I would suggest you keep a copy of them elsewhere (MobileMe-iCloud, Google accounts, etc).

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Fixed that for you. I've never had a problem with iTunes on either my PC or Mac running a ~90GB library, and while it may be a problem for some, it works for most.

8. DieAllianz macrumors member

i sync the iPhone with itunes, but you can't view the iPhone's content in iTunes -> what a ****ing concept is this?

Why can't I view my contacts, photos, Notes, etc. in iTunes? every different type of info syncs in another place on my computer? The photos doesn't sync at all and i really can't figure out why?

I hate iTunes, especially the iPhone-Sync

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

"Decent software" doesn't wipe your data through a supposedly simple sync, yet it happens regularly. There's half a dozen new posts here each day on the subject.

"Decent software" doesn't require that I buy other software to back my phone up before allowing it near iTunes. (Thank God for PhoneView--worth five times what I paid for it just in peace of mind alone.)

"Decent software" doesn't have a UI that requires you to look up KB articles to figure out how to perform basic functions.

Even my husband--an Apple fanboy who worked in Cupertino for years--couldn't figure out some very basic things with iTunes on his newest iMac last night. (his old MacBook failed). And he asked me to back up his iPhone using PhoneView before he tries to sync with the new machine tonight "just in case". This isn't a technically incompent man, he's made his living in software for his entire adult life. Sorry, but that's a bad app.

I love my iPhone and iPad. I tolerate my Macs as a marginal improvement over Windows most of the time. I LOATHE iTunes as the single worst piece of software I've experienced ever. And I've had to deal with some pretty bad betas while working in the industry. iTunes eclipses them all.

10. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Damn straight. I hope to GOD it runs better on a Mac, 'cause it is pure junk on Windows. Every click initiates a 10 second wait and loading the app window from your iPad?... well, it's just to painful to remember...

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

iTunes on Mac is a completely different animal than iTunes on Windows. That being said people blow its problems completely out of proportion. You'd be hard pressed to find another program that does what iTunes does on the market.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Corrected.

Windows is the slowest, buggiest piece of bloatware on the planet.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like iTunes and have no problems running it on my almost 4 year old iMac.

14. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I don't say it sucks, my friends do.

It is OK for me.

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Yep, Kies does suck and i dont use it. I dont even have it download it on my computer. Used Kies mini once to update my firmware but thats it. I do everything else by just plugging the phone into the computer and drag & drop.

As for iTunes, i dont like iTunes much at all and glad i dont have to use it anymore.

16. camarobh macrumors 6502

iTunes on my iMac works great with multiple Apple TVs (old and new), multiple iPhones and my iPad. I have a giant iTunes library and it serves me very well.

17. jellybean macrumors regular

I think it doesn't save contact info to the sim because sim contacts are v limited as to what can be stored. Basics like names and numbers yes, but more advanced contact info such as photos (and possibly full addresses, labels and formatting etc?) can't be stored on a sim, plus the sim's capacity is very small, hence why it saves contact info to the phone itself.

18. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Exactly this. iTunes for Windows != iTunes for Mac. It's a fantastic piece of software that integrates seamlessly with the OS, other software, and all my iDevices.

However, with that said, I have no issues with it on Windows either. I'm sorry that some of you can't seem to figure it out, because it really is quite intuitive and simple.

19. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

My limited time with kies was this:
    Poorly written and sometimes untranslated menus.
    Slow loading times.
    Buggy library (albums literally disappearing and re-appearing on various different screens).
    Huge issues with stability. Updating firmware on a SGS and praying that it didn't crash mid flash was a worry.

Samsung managed to copy the worst off of iTunes to in turn worsen it even further with bugs.

iTunes is functional for me but it isn't a highlight for my OSX or Windows entertainment.

20. The Phazer macrumors 68030

What do I have to "figure out" to stop it stealing focus during software updates randomly and for no apparent reason, when the bug has been reporting and unfixed for *four years* now?

iTunes on Windows is the worst piece of mainstream software on the market today. It's a disaster. It makes using the iPhone *much* harder than it would be with a simple file browser.

Phazer

21. Kayzle macrumors member

I'm fine with itunes, but even if I wasn't, wouldn't be a good enough reason to do away with the iphone

22. Sugadaddy macrumors member

Nope.

Like others have said, iTunes for OS X is fine, but iTunes (and especially Quicktime) for Windows are buggy and slow.

There's no reason for a media program to take as long as Photoshop CS5 to open. It's pathetic.

23. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

too bad those friends never heard of the icloud, or cancelled before it was announced...

24. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I've never seen this bug. I've updated only via Mac for the 7 years. Prior to that, via Windows. Windows-only problem?

Come on, now. :rolleyes:
    I'm trying to think of a way to say "You don't get out much, do you?" without it sounding so snarky. I can't, so please don't take it as "snarky sounding" as it does.

25. zobby macrumors newbie

Just for balance, I've been using Itunes for my Iphone on Windows Since Win XP and the Iphone 3G and have had no issues (ie 3+ years). On Windows 7 and Iphone 4 now and have been for 12 months.

Never really had any issues with it at all and really like how its laid out. I have about 60GB of music and many GB's of apps. Apps can be a little slow scrolling through but I have to honestly say thats about it.

I feel theres a lot of exaggeration on this forum - 'worst application ever'? Really?