IUP or 0% APR Credit Card for 15 months

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gsk158, Sep 27, 2017.

?

How should I get the iPhone X

Poll closed Oct 4, 2017.
  1. IUP

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. 0% APR CC

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. Carrier Financing

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. gsk158 macrumors newbie

I'm gonna buy the iPhone X and i was wondering the best option to purchase. Should i go with the IUP and risk not getting it for months as there is a credit check/approval process to wait for when checking out (not a current IUP customer.) Or would a 0% APR credit card for 15 months be a better option? I'll be able to pay it off at the beginning of next year and just thinking what will be my best options.

2. Mackneezie macrumors regular

Mackneezie

Not that this helps much, but hopefully they will have it setup like they did the 8 where you can get pre-approved for the phone. Making pre-order day go much smoother and less lag time between picking which color and things and the finalizing of the order.

Either way should be just as equal, except for the iUP you don't HAVE to pay it off after the 15 months you can upgrade again. That's the biggest difference, obviously. I have thought about this myself actually, but I think I'll be chancing it with the iUP since I already am signed up for that now with my 7.

3. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

Go for a CC. Some cards are offering up to $200 cash back after you spend $1000 on new accounts along with the 0%. The iPhone X just became an $800 phone.

4. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

+1 for the CC. You'll also save by not being forced to get Apple Care.

5. Jawnathin macrumors 6502

I'd recommend the 0% CC. Hopefully it has some type of benefit like insurance built in along with price protection. Also assuming it has some type of cash back mechanism. I prefer and use the Citi DoubleCash.

You could also use the CC to buy other stuff while you pay down your existing CCs that are accruing interest.

6. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

Have you checked out the barclay card offered through Apple? They offer 0% APR for a certain number of months depending on the purchase price. I think anything over $1,000 gets you 16 months of 0% APR. You’ll also get 3X pints for the Apple purchase which would get you somewhere around 3,000 points which you can then redeem for a $25 Apple store gift card.

Just a thought.

7. page3 macrumors 6502a

I’d recommend simply buying it outright, using the money you’ve been saving over the last year.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Best advice yet! Pay cash for it! Schools loans paid?

9. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Or you can walk in like this.

[​IMG]

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I vote IUP or Apple Payment Plan (also 0%). The Citizens One Loan does not show up on your credit report except for the first hard inquiry. After that, it doesn't exist. Credit Cards show revolving credit, and that will actually ding your score by keeping a balance and only making minimum payments monthly. It affects your total revolving credit limit.

You can do IUP which requires AC+ or you can do Apple Payment, which is literally the same thing, but no AC+ and you can't upgrade yearly.

11. Knockoutjosie macrumors 6502a

Knockoutjosie

this is what i will be doing

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

This.
    Buy it if you have the cash now. If not save and wait. You say you will be able to pay it off next year but what if something happens before then? Car breaks down or redundancy?

It's a phone people. No sense in borrowing money to buy it.

13. Wags macrumors 65816

Almost no difference other than having to get AppleCare. Both 0% and can payoff. Can trade in with iup if don't want to deal with selling.

14. Damon2 macrumors regular

Credit Card imo.

You can use the credit card for other purchases in the future also, which is generally good for improving your credit obviously providing you clear the balances.

And some cards come with benefits like others have mentioned.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Cash, because you'll be on the hook for monthly payments.