Ivy Bridge Mobile CPUs for Next MacBook Air and Pro Models Due around May

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

VR-Zone leaks a roadmap for Intel's next generation mobile processors, called Ivy Bridge. Apple currently uses Intel's mobile Sandy Bridge processors in its MacBook Pro and MacBook Air notebooks.

Ivy Bridge will offer a number of benefits for Apple's notebook lines, opening the door to quad-core processors in the 13-inch MacBook Pro and bringing significantly faster graphics and new OpenCL capabilities to the MacBook Air. Ivy Bridge will also support ultra high resolution displays and Intel has committed to Thunderbolt support alongside USB 3.0 in the platform.

VR-Zone details a wide range of processors with Thermal Design Power (TDP) ranging from 17W to 55W. The TDP tends to be the limiting factor in the size of Apple's notebook designs. Apple presently uses 17W processors in the MacBook Air designs and 35W-45W processors in the MacBook Pro. The new processors will include the improved Intel HD Graphics 4000 integrated graphics chipset.

The 35W-45W (MacBook Pro) processors range from Dual/Quad Core 2.6GHz to 2.9GHz with single core turbo speeds of up to 3.6GHz, while the 17W (MacBook Air) processors range from Dual Core 1.8GHz to 2.0GHz with single core turbo speeds of up to 2.8-3.2GHz.

Apple's choice of processors may depend on how dramatically it redesigns the MacBook Pro next year. Rumors have persisted that Apple is working on ultra-thin models that may represent a complete overhaul of some of the MacBook Pro models, making them more Air-like in design. VR-Zone notes that the TDPs on these processors are programmable, so Apple may be able to reduce their TDPs at the expense of processor speed.

VR-Zone reports that the new mobile platform is expected to launch around May, with some high-end processors possibly launching in April. This gives a rough timeframe of when we should expect updates to Apple's notebooks.

Article Link: Ivy Bridge Mobile CPUs for Next MacBook Air and Pro Models Due around May

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I'm submitting our new budget at work soon. I'm including a note that we will be getting "15-inch MacBook Air w/ 512 Gig SSD" systems in 2013. They don't exist (yet), but that is what I'm looking forward to by then!

My 15" MacBook Pro is nice. It's a little heavy, I don't use the optical drive, and I really want SSD.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
This looks like just a sample of the Ivy Bridge CPUs which Intel will probably offer.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
cue the idiots whining about lack of refresh even though there are no CPU's for new products

Ptdr

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
"What should be pointed out is that all the dual cores now support DDR3 memory speeds of 1600MHz; something that isn't the case for Sandy Bridge based mobile CPUs."
Does it mean that the macbook air could get 8gb of ram?

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
i'm also up for a 15" air. got a 13" mbp with ssd today and would not mind more screen estate but don't like "big" and "heavy". i might settle for a 13" air depending on what specification the 15" will get.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The Performance Quad-Core chips still carry a 45W TDP so i dunno how they're going to break the laws of physics and pack that as well as a discrete GPU into an Air style frame.

Either way i doubt i'll be getting the first revision of the revamped models. Maybe the refreshed iterations in Q4...or even Haswell.

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
This looks like just a sample of the Ivy Bridge CPUs which Intel will probably offer.
The Sandy Bridge retail lineup wasn't any bigger (aside the three LV chips). OEM SKUs doesn't seem to be included in the roadmaps, hence the lineup seems smaller.

"What should be pointed out is that all the dual cores now support DDR3 memory speeds of 1600MHz; something that isn't the case for Sandy Bridge based mobile CPUs."
Does it mean that the macbook air could get 8gb of ram?
No. It means MBA may get faster RAM. 8GB is possible in SNB too.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
So you would take a MacBook Air with Intel Celeron processor 1GB of RAM and 80GB hard drive?

:rolleyes:
Don't be deliberately obtuse.

He obviously means he's alright with whatever newer hardware it will come with. Meaning hardware refreshes will continue regardless, the next-gen usually being better than the previous gen in the majority of cases.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I'm excited to see USB 3.0 in the MacBook Pro. Mainly so I can have a fast port for external drives to be shared between my PCs and Macs

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Macbook pro IS DUE FOR REDESIGN. It has been same since 2008. By 2012, it needs redesign.

Put thinner bezel and SSD inside.

Quad core on 13 inch? Give me.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
May????

Nooooo!

Why May? I want January!

I will be up for a new laptop in Febuary, and the wait is killing me... my xmas wish will be that intel and apple work out an early release for IB on the new MBP:cool:

Lets sign an online petition LOL :D

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
The Macbook Pro was already updated though...
if this is true then wait until next march or april and people complaining about the lack of refresh. I think it was in 2009 the last time where it happened later than usual and months after new CPU's came out.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Nooooo!

Why May? I want January!
22nm yields, lack of competition, recently updated Sandy Bridge processors, and recovering from the Intel 6 Series PCH recall.

Intel is issuing updates almost yearly now. It was almost at every 18 months in the past.

if this is true then wait until next march or april and people complaining about the lack of refresh. I think it was in 2009 the last time where it happened later than usual and months after new CPU's came out.
Appearance or internal hardware?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Sounds good, and it also seems to confirm that we'll see the next MacBook Air in July again next year, unless they opt to come out with a 15" Sandy Bridge version before then.

A 2GHz i7 would be a decent incremental speed bump over the 1.8GHz Sandy Bridge, with a noticeable improvement from the HD 4000 graphics. Hopefully the power usage decline is noticeable. It's interesting that there are no more 25W TDP models. They go right from ULV 17W to standard voltage 35W. I thought perhaps they would have dropped 35W models instead.

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
cue the idiots whining about lack of refresh even though there are no CPU's for new products
Cut the idiots being unaware that Intel does update their lineups between platform changes and drops price throughout a given generation. Just because Apple doesn't lower prices accordingly, or use new SKUs (except for maybe one minor update) in between model changes doesn't mean they're not there.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Cut the idiots being unaware that Intel does update their lineups between platform changes and drops price throughout a given generation. Just because Apple doesn't lower prices accordingly, or use new SKUs (except for maybe one minor update) in between model changes doesn't mean they're not there.

and go look at the Mac Pro threads. there are no CPU's and therefore nothing to update. yet people here think apple can magically make their own Xeons for a new mac pro

reallynotnick

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
13in MBP 1440x900, quad core, thin bezel, .85-.8in thick, 4lbs, no optical drive, and for bonus points put a discrete GPU in it and make a matte option for the display.

It's going to be about time for me to upgrade my 13in MBP as it will be 3 years old and I have been maxing it out since day one, but I just love the size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.