Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Pairing it with Kepler (GK107) on the mobile front is the most interesting prospect. It is not much to show over Sandy Bridge.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Some nice specs. here...Just a question of when. I think the delay has caused the lag in product updates...Hopefully we will see new machines before the end of the summer.

It hasn't really been much of a lag. Intel is getting them out pretty close to a year after the prior generation.

I'd like to see an updated MacBook Pro lineup featuring these Ivy Bridge processors, a slimmer design (losing the optical drive but still big enough to fit in a good graphics card) and HiDPI screen by the time the back to school promotion kicks off in June.

:apple:

I would like t o be able to purchase a laptop where the fans don't kick up constantly. Unless they improve things internally, they're pretty close to their limit on how thin they can go. Of course they could improve a few things internally on cooling to realize this goal, or it could be like the first macbooks where temperatures were insane.

Apple might release the Macbook Pro series during the last week of April. They tend to get access to latest Intel chips before everyone else.

Also, there have been many rumours stating the production of a new line of Macbook Pro/Air that are expected to be released this April.

This is a partial misconception. Contract orders are filled first before distributors. This means Apple is one of the companies that tends to get earlier chips, but not necessarily the only one. Some of you go off of incomplete information and form complex theories around it.

Me too, but it looks like we have to wait a while for the 6+ core Ivy Bridge-E processors to come out... Assuming Apple have not completely lost their minds. Should be ready later this year - next year.

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/11889/

They aren't out until Q2 of next year. Apple would update with Sandy Bridge E. Ivy Bridge E would be more like mid next year. I have no idea how far the Haswell version is pushed back at this point.

For those talking about Mac Pros with Ivy Bridge. I seriously doubt that would be the next refresh. Intel has supposedly just entered volume shipments of the Sandy Bridge E5 processors, which is what the Mac Pro needs. However, neither Dell nor HP offer workstations with this processor yet. If they do, and Apple still hasn't launched a Sandy Bridge E Mac Pro, then maybe they're waiting for Ivy Bridge, but (to my uneducated consumer mind) that would be foolish.

Considering that Ivy Bridge E is Q2 of 2013, I don't think they'd wait for it, especially given that they should be able to reuse the same board for Ivy Bridge E. It's typical for workstation boards to go two years.

How would this work if the low voltage chips used for the Air aren't available until June?

Personally, this articles explains why people were receiving emails from Apple about the Air, when Apple only sends emails for new products.

They aren't always updated at the same time. It was updated later than the macbook pro in 2011. Macbook pro came in February. The macbook air wasn't out until July. It's always a range of times rather than a fixed date. Apple is smart enough not to announce anything. That way everyone turns their irrational anger toward intel:rolleyes:.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
So, what would the low-end Minis likely get for a processor if new minis come out with Ivy Bridge quad cores? Maybe they'll get dual-core Ivy Bridge or stick with Sandy Bridge with a slight speed bump?

Look at the list. THOSE are the processors that will land in the Minis, or so I am assuming, thinking there aren't others available not listed. You can clearly see the range of cores and speeds. I have no idea what they bench test; hope for a jack in speed.

Wait and see.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Take a look at how much space the optical drive takes. It's the same size as the logic board! Think of what apple could do with that, both accounting for thermal needs AND a thinner design.

Move the HDD up to the top, fill the entire bottom area with battery. Make it thinner, too. Everything's wonderful. Shut up and take my money.

EDIT: (oh god, please don't take my Ethernet or FireWire. just do a thin-like taper from the current thickness down towards the front)

Attachments

• ifixitmbpalum13-1.jpeg
    ifixitmbpalum13-1.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I can't wait also. I hope you are correct re April or May, but does anyone have an idea when the article states Chips go on sale late April, does that mean on sale for Apple, HP, Dell and the likes or have the manufacturers already been privy to the processors so they can update their products and the meaning of on sale is for the DIY create your own PC and now you can go online to PCmall and new processors are on sale there? :confused:

Otherwise, if on sale at end of April means for Apple and the rest, how long does one think it takes to order and ramp up production and have available for sale? It's been, according to MR, 330 days and counting seen last iMac. :eek:
/
/
/

You can take it to the bank that all the major PC vendors (Apple too) signed NDAs and have had ivy bridge chipsets for some time now. These chipsets will undergo several spins as major bugs are found. In fact the PC vendors will submit bugs to intel as part of intel's verification process. When intel considers that enough testing has been done and all the major bugs that would require a chipset re-spin have been found the chipset will go golden, get announced and go on sale. At that time all the major PC vendors will have machines that are ready to go. Just need intel to be able to ramp up manufacturing volume to meet demand.

So new machines could be announced right after intel announces the availability of ivy bridge.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
so if the new MBPs come out in May 2012... Haswell is only going to be 9 or so months ahead.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Well... I suppose Ivy Bridge is needed to consume less power, so it can then be utilized by higher res screens on the mobile side.

More interested to see if USB3 will be available on the newer Macs. It would be great to get better transfer times on a few devices, like 64GB thumb drives as an example.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Take a look at how much space the optical drive takes. It's the same size as the logic board! Think of what apple could do with that, both accounting for thermal needs AND a thinner design.
Not much more. The TDP of the processor stays the same. More space or a thinner design does not change that. Wait for Broadwell (14 nm SoC)!

----------

More interested to see if USB3 will be available on the newer Macs. It would be great to get better transfer times on a few devices, like 64GB thumb drives as an example.
USB 3.0 requires new devices, which support this standard. External USB 3.0 enclosures for HDDs/SSDs are certainly much cheaper than Thunderbolt enclosures.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
so if the new MBPs come out in May 2012... Haswell is only going to be 9 or so months ahead.

This is a terrible way to analyze anything. Dates slip on both raw parts and the shipping of complete machines. As of right now the first shipping of haswell seems to be roughly 9 months from that time. For the most part we've seen annual updates anywhere from February to July. If your current machine is fine, you can always just keep it another year. Ivy Bridge is likely to be a minor bump anyway. They may spin the marketing to make it look better, but it's already been mentioned that the nicest part of it looks like the gpu update for the Airs/13" macbook pros.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
It's been speculated Apple is going with the i3 quad core with slightly higher clock speed to get lower power dissipation but comparable to the current i5 offering on the lower end iMac's.

The 21" will be upgrdable to the i5 and the 27" upto an i7.

This will allow them to remove the ODD & make the iMac thinner.

SSD & memory upgrades will cost about the same as today.

They will also utilize the Intel GPU this time around for better power consumption.

So, no significant performance upgrades on the iMac.
Just lower power consumption & slimmer profile.

May be they will take this opportunity to make the 3.5 inch chin smaller.

Can't see Apple stepping backwards from i5 to i3. I want hyper threaded iMacs as standard. i5 chips hyper thread but Apple diable it in the iMac which is just stupid.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I just hope they put maybe a Intel Core i7 Extreme in the Macbook Pro :)

----------

Can't see Apple stepping backwards from i5 to i3. I want hyper threaded iMacs as standard. i5 chips hyper thread but Apple diable it in the iMac which is just stupid.

The i5 desktop chips do not have hyper-threading, but they do have turbo-boost.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

That's not entirely correct. It's an annoying set of rules. Intel enables hyperthreading in i5/i7 dual core cpus (not sure on i3). Intel disables hyperthreading in the quad cpus aside from the i7 models. You shouldn't try to extrapolate too much from this. Just look at real performance tests rather than benchmarks.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
That's not entirely correct. It's an annoying set of rules. Intel enables hyperthreading in i5/i7 dual core cpus (not sure on i3). Intel disables hyperthreading in the quad cpus aside from the i7 models. You shouldn't try to extrapolate too much from this. Just look at real performance tests rather than benchmarks.
The Core i3 gets hyperthreading over its Pentium and Celeron siblings. Additional video decode features get tacked on as well.

On the mobile front, you cannot get a quad (4C/4T) Core i5. You are looking at a 2C/4T i5 or 4C/8T i7.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The Core i3 gets hyperthreading over its Pentium and Celeron siblings. Additional video decode features get tacked on as well.

On the mobile front, you cannot get a quad (4C/4T) Core i5. You are looking at a 2C/4T i5 or 4C/8T i7.

I know that, but it does remain consistent with their policies on these things. If you want a quad with HT enabled, you're looking at the i7s. I was just responding to someone who felt Apple disabled it there.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I know that, but it does remain consistent with their policies on these things. If you want a quad with HT enabled, you're looking at the i7s. I was just responding to someone who felt Apple disabled it there.
The mobile side of things tends to get preferential treatment with hyperthreading enabled and a full GT2 IGP. (12/16 EUs)

Haswell is going to bring a monster GT3 (40 EU) IGP to the field.

Those are desktop processors. I was key in mentioning the mobile side of things.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Looking to get a new 27" iMac soon...:confused:

Same here. I'd like to see the 27" start at $1999 this year. That way I can just walk in a pick one up and not bother with a custom order. But they'll probably do something with the graphics card that'll make me custom order anyway... :( Also, can we get USB 3 finally? It's a year late...

Honestly, I'm hoping for something to happen between the i7 iMac and Mac Pro... Since we've been seeing the performance dip in the Mac Pro...

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
been waiting a while for some MBP news, so is the 29th april a pretty certain date? always looked like early april from previous rumours.. been giddy as a kipper for this MBP to come out...?

If Intel does not release the chips until April 29--a Sunday--I doubt we will see new MacBooks until May. May 1 is a Tuesday :)

Current 2720QM quad core processor in 15" MBP has a TDP of 45W, resulting in high system temperature and increased fan speeds. I don't see how Apple could decrease the size of the MBP and put in a quad core Ivy Bridge with a 45W TDP. So it's back to dual core systems until Haswell comes out?

Unfortunately, based on preliminary reports, it looks like Haswell will have better battery life but a higher TDP than Ivy Bridge.

Edit: Unless they ditch the dedicated graphics card entirely...

Let's hope not. Pro machines really should have discrete graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.