Ivy Bridge update may disappoint...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bill-p, Mar 8, 2012.

1. bill-p macrumors 65816

2. Chic0 macrumors 6502

me..... cos I'll be coming from a late 2008 MBP 2.53 core 2 duo :D

3. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Yeah...

Basically we're looking at modest CPU improvements, substantial integrated gfx improvements for MBA and 13 MBP models, and improved battery performance under load.

The X-factors are... if the MBP still has a dedicated GPU, what will it be, and the million dollar question... will there be a redesign.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

It's a tick, the performance increase is modest, as everyone expected.

The GPU improvement is huge. Essentially this makes mid range GPUs obsolete on mobile computers, and is great news for the Air and for the 13'' Pro.

It was always clear that the upgrade is less significant for the 15'' and 17'' MBPs, but it should help the overall package:
    - less problems with graphics switching
    - better battery life under load
    - less heat with modest loads (e.g. flash videos and other crap)
    - a little performance boost

Add SATA 3 SSDs and 1600 MHz low voltage RAM in the stock configuration, and you got a nice and future proof package.

5. that1guyy macrumors 6502

At this point I think the main improvement on the new Pros will be a retina display and possibility it's slightly thinner.

Apple said in the media event yesterday that they are going to continue with "this type of innovation" referring to the the "new ipad's" retina display through the rest of the year. The only devices left for a retina display are the Macs.

Of course, a discrete gpu, usb 3.0 would be be nice.

6. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

The following items will sway my decision for buying a new MBP:

1. Redesigned MBP case
    2. USB 3 Ports
    3. GPU Selection
    4. ODD State (Stays, Add-on, ??)
    5. Retina Display (but I think that is pretty unlikely)
    6. Any surprises they may have for us...

I really want a USB3 Port because TB is not cutting it for me on the low-cost portable backup scene. The rest are all 'would be nice to have'...

We'll see, my money and I aren't going anywhere.

-P

7. Bear macrumors G3

Depending on what you are using the system for, the graphics upgrade could be big. And also for processing power, wouldn't it depend on exactly which IvyBridge processors Apple uses. And of course will there be USB 3.0?

For someone who isn't desperate for an upgrade, waiting can make sense.

8. heliocentric Guest

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wonder how long the wait will be...

9. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

It should be an exciting spring/summer.

I feel like people from each camp (MBP, MBA, iMAC, MP, MM) think their update is the one that's looming closest, but the releases will certainly be staggered by a few months if history is any indicator.

The question is... who will kick things off :cool:

10. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

MacPro :apple:

Awesome if you can afford to update every year, but hardly feel sorry for you :eek:

All the speed improvement are welcomed, i think most people update their laptops every 2-5 years

11. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

honestly the ivy bridge upgrade had nothing to do with performance. These are gonna be the most important things -
    lower power consumption = more battery life
    better temps
    much better IGP performance.
    This is the processor side of things. In terms of the MacBooks themselves there's the whole redesign question.

12. bill-p thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually, since Intel's mobile roadmap shows the same TDP envelope, I'd think power consumption stays the same while performance gets a 10% bump. It's still very insignificant for 15" and 17" Pro.

There was a rumored 35W quad Ivy, though, so I guess that one might be for the 13" Pro.

In any case, I agree with the rest of the sentiment here. Looks like Retina Display would be the bigger update. Now I wonder if they can push Retina Display this year... considering how hard it is to manufacture those screens at a reasonable price point.

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The same TDP means very little. The first Penryn (45nm) also had the same TDP as the 65nm but needed some 30% less power. Made for much cooler notebooks and longer real battery life.

The question I would like to have answered (and Anand's article helps very little) is how much less power it is. Considering how Intel praised its Tri-gate it should be more than from 45 to 65nm. But what is know till know of performance and clock speeds suggests that it will be no different than the 65 to 45nm switch or 45 to 32.

Anand claims some better power consumption under load but that just seems a bit odd in comparison. It is hardly any better than 2500 and that is also a Quad at almost the same clock speed as the 2600k. Comparing the power consumption of those chips on other sites to anand's it seems he just has a fairly hot 2600k. On other sites the difference between 4 threads and 8 threads is almost none existent or more like 15W not 22W.
    Which would suggest this 3770k is only by a rather small margin better than the latest crop of 32nm chips. Which would be quite bad and probably the reason for such a tiny clock speed increase with the same TDP classes and/or the whole delay. I think 22nm process doesn't do as smoothly as the others.

I have a feeling 22nm TG Ivy Bridge will be underwhelming for all but Ultrabooks which benefit from the GPU.

14. mdgm macrumors 6502a

The CPU isn't everything.

As mentioned, USB3, properly supporting SATA III SSDs (SATA III SSD in Sandy Bridge MBPs is poor, but Apple never did put SATA III SSDs in those machines anyway), better GPU etc. are big things for some. Depending on the needs of the user not necessarily a good upgrade for those already running 2011 MBPs but for those who are not it should be an excellent upgrade over their current machines. If you find Ivy Bridge MBPs underwhelming you could always buy a 2011 MBP on the refurb store after the 2012 MBPs are released.

15. Liquinn Suspended

16. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

when do people think the new macbook pros will be released

17. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Usually when I see yet another post like this I expect "newbie" to be shown beneath the poster's status.

Seriously? :D

18. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Probably sooner or later in this century. But before that happens we should invent question marks.

19. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Here ?
    We are good to go then, aren't we?

20. mark28, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

mark28 macrumors 68000

There is a significant CPU performance as you can see in this encoding test. See the top 2 Ivy Bridge CPU's. 53 fps ( ivy bridge ) vs 36 fps ( sandy bridge )

[​IMG]

Also a couple of Ivy Bridge CPU's are scoring 50% better than the Sandy Bridge CPU's in the following test.

[​IMG]

So in conclustion, you can't say based on 1 CPU test that the Ivy Bridge CPU is a disappointment. Especially since Ivy Bridge is offering better performance at less power drain.

21. Liquinn Suspended

My concern is that the Airs and the Pros will merge... and I'll never be able to have the mbp I've always wanted. But I can't put down £2000 or so on a processor that's over a year old now ;/

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It won't disappoint me, I'm still on a C2D based MBP, so I'm eagerly waiting for this.

23. Liquinn Suspended

I want to buy a Macbook Pro now, but I know I'll be gutted when the new Ivy Bridge ones come out. What shall I do?

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The jump from C2D to SandyBridge is a large one, you'll notice a nice jump in performance but given that we're on the cusp of a new chipset waiting is the best bet.

The C2D is a capable machine and so just stick it out for a few more months :)

25. Liquinn Suspended

Was thinking on buying a 2.4Ghz 17" Macbook Pro glossy for £1,720. This a good deal? The thing is with technology, there's always something newer around the corner.

I'd hate it if Apple merged the Airs and Pros :/