iWork 2013 sucks, big time

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lolito, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

it's amazing how crappy this software is. I installed it and deleted it after 10 minutes.

Office 2011 is bad, but iwork is not good, even for 5 year old users. Waht a crap.

2. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Based on that informative post, I'll be doing the same, and telling others to do so as well!

3. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

funny....because Pages and Numbers are excellent.

way to go for opinions...

4. Jodeo macrumors regular

Jodeo

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Is this your first time using the Mac versions? I'm baffled how anyone could say that with a straight face.

It's not just the fact that they removed almost all the features. The new UI gives me massive usability problems almost instantly.

6. RedOrchestra Suspended

WOW...must be the head cheerleader for all things Apple!

Pages and Numbers have never been great BUT these latest editions are BIG TIME regression.

And don't get me started on that piece of crap called iBooks for Mac.

7. MacCruiskeen macrumors 6502

That's funny, that's the reaction I had when iWork first came out seven or eight years ago. Glad to see it's been consistent.

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The first one was bad, but by '08 and '09 it was good.

Since this is a rewrite, I can only hope it'll improve as well.

9. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

erm, ok...why have i got 2 versions installed on my computer??

this is messed up....the old one is opening not the new one.

i stand corrected....

WTF?!

(edited, as my original post was defending the apps)

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I see you are not happy with those products then welcome to LibreOffice for Mac. :apple:

11. petsounds macrumors 65816

Apple needs to rehire the old ClarisWorks team and start over.

Also, Apple should dogfood these apps -- marketing guys should be using Pages for layout, and the accountants should be using Numbers on a daily basis. If they already are using them, I don't know how they're getting real work done.

12. zerozoneice macrumors regular

13. knightlie macrumors 6502a

I think I'll dust off my iWork '08, these new versions are getting a lot of bad press. The iCloud Pages isn't bad for a web app, but it'l suck if the desktop one has about the same functionality.

14. Viking2 macrumors member

So disappointed for this IOS crap

I was waiting for years for an iWork upgrade.
    Pages and Keynote are my everyday tools.

And I was so happy and bought Keynote for like 15 USD (thought is was free...)

And only to realize that Apple don't give a **** in Mac users they only want to replace everything with IOS apps.

So they can have more easy maintenance and more compatibility within apps. Or whatever.

But serious, this is *****!

15. MauerFan07 macrumors member

I might have to buy iWork 09 on Amazon. Found a disk for $31. 09 should work fine on Mavericks, even if I have '13 installed right?

16. RedOrchestra Suspended

NO PROBLEM. I trashed '13 off my dock and replaced them with '09 - works fine.

17. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I'm all for nostalgia, but are you forgetting just how bad AppleWorks 6 was? Office '97 was leaps and bounds better, and was a product almost 5 years older.

18. rick d macrumors newbie

pages 2013

It looks like they put the iOS app on the desktop, going backwards on the desktop for sure.

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I didn't own Apple hardware back then, but I did own every version of ClarisWorks/AppleWorks for Windows. Those apps were terrific on Windows and far, far better for my workflow than MS Works or MS Office ever were... or are.

For nostalgia purposes, I installed ClarisWorks 6 on XP in VirtualBox... just made me wish for a native Apple version. :(

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

Looks like they're doing the same thing they did to iMovie '08 and Final Cut X ... rewrite it from scratch, and ship it before they've added all of the functionality back.

Now we wait and see if they add the missing functionality back in, like they've been doing with Final Cut X.

21. jdelgado macrumors regular

I would be very very happy with Word 5.1 and Excel 4.0. Keynote 09 is OK, but if I could, I would use More.

22. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

It worked well enough to get a job done, but didn't carry the stability or power that MS had with comparable versions of office with Windows. I've only used ClarisWorks 5, and AppleWorks 6.x however. Not sure how it compared before those versions.

EDIT: It may be more fair to blame the stability issues on Mac OS 8.6 & 9, rather than Claris itself.

EDITx2: Tried to install Appleworks 6.2.9 under Windows 8.1. Unfortunately won't run even with compatibility set to Windows XP. Guess it's why I keep my Win2K machine around, just for the memories.

23. petsounds macrumors 65816

Well, I don't remember what the last version of ClarisWorks I used was...it was in the mid-90s. It couldn't compete with Microsoft Office, but it wasn't designed to. It was a good fit for individuals and small businesses. I thought it was a pretty good product. Certainly better than iWork '13.

Related, I'd love to see Apple introduce their own drawing app again, as Adobe is just getting worse and worse.

24. new-to-mac macrumors regular

clarification

hi,

i've never used any version of iwork and as my name implies I am new to mac :p

i've always used PC and at work I need to use PC with office 2010

I was thinking of getting iwork for my personal MBA mainly to have an equivalent to word, excel, ppt. i won't be a poweruser by any means but i would like to experiment with apple software more and at the same time I would like to be able to open an edit excel, word, ppt personal files that I keep on dropbox to be accessible everywhere. they won't be work files mainly personal stuff

would i be able to do this with current iwork version? would you recommend me to get iwork or something else (I would like to avoid ms office for mac)

25. KRivers macrumors member

KRivers

ive just tried them out and ill i can say is **** me. what trash ios7 ****. am im horrified to see ios7 design aesthetic creeping in. if this is the direction apple is taking osx, then GOOD bye.