Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iWork and MobileMe Rebates Expire, Updates Imminent?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has long offered $30 rebates on MobileMe and iWork for customers purchasing new Apple hardware, encouraging users to tack on so-called "attachments" to boost revenue for the company. In late February, the company eliminated boxed versions of MobileMe and did away with the option to bundle the service with a new Mac at a $30 discount. The rebate program for distribution through other points of sale, however, apparently remained in effect.

A similar program existed for iWork, with users able to either opt to have the software preinstalled on their build-to-order machines at a $30 discount to $49, or file for a $30 rebate on the $79 iWork if purchased through other means. That $49 discounted price for preinstalled iWork disappeared as of today, however, with Apple now charging the full $79 price for the software suite.

Apple has apparently also notified resellers that the iWork and MobileMe promotions have ended as of yesterday, requiring resellers to remove all references to the rebate programs from their promotional materials.

Apple has of course been rumored to be working on an overhaul of its MobileMe service, reportedly seeking to integrate cloud-based services that would allow users to store their media on Apple's servers for access from a variety of devices.

A potential iWork update has been a bit more of a mystery, however, as the suite was last updated in early 2009. There had been some claims of Apple seeking to a launch "iWork '11" alongside the Mac App Store in January, with hints of shortages of iWork in mid-December lending credence to the theory, but an updated version has yet to surface.

Article Link: iWork and MobileMe Rebates Expire, Updates Imminent?

AgingGeek

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
And yet, Apple is threatening to auto-renew my MobileMe subscription on the 23rd.

Should I let them? Will they make good on whatever new cloud service is announced after the fact?

Comment

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

Hopefully soon. My MobileMe expires in July and this would make me very happy :) hopefully they do some sort of music locker because many companies are rolling out their versions. Also a new iDisk would be good.

Comment

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
And yet, Apple is threatening to auto-renew my MobileMe subscription on the 23rd.

Should I let them? Will they make good on whatever new cloud service is announced after the fact?

Im in the same situation, but i will not renew for now..

Comment

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
About time. I think they'll introduce it alongside OS X 10.7 and iOS 5 preview, if it's a big update (for MM and iWork).

Comment

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I've been hoping deliberating over MobileMe for a while now, currently I'm learning towards "no" but I thought I'd wait and see if anything ever came of these revamp rumours before investing time and money in alternatives —*hopefully they've got something good up their sleeves!

As for iWork, it could definitely use some extra polish, but for me Pages, the application I rely on and use most often, is pretty feature-rich. I love the way styling is applied. If they added Excel XML support to Numbers, though, it would make my life easier.

If Apple were indeed planning revamps to either or both of these products, is there any upcoming event at which they would be likely to make an announcement?

Comment

smulji

macrumors 68000
Feb 21, 2011
+1

No new MobileMe or iWork at least until WWDC '11. Don't hold your breath.

WWDC is a developer-focused event. I can see them releasing the MobileMe revamp during this week but not iWork.

Comment

gatortone

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2008
Weird - I looked at my account settings in March, and I know that I was supposed to renew on 5/1/11. I just checked, and my renewal date has changed to 6/4/11! Anyone else catch this?

Comment

brickford5

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
It looks to me that Mobileme has been pulled from Amazon as well (they offered if for sale at the discounted rate), states 'Currently unavailable'. Hopefully they don't have a downtime, I use it a lot and my account expires in July :apple:

Comment

stellaclose

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
I think we should expect a cloud/MobileMe (and maybe iWork) media event next week.

Based on history:
1. Financial earnings released Wednesday
2. Invitation issued Thursday morning for media event next week
3. Media event held on Apple Campus next Wednesday or Thursday

Comment

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
I think we should expect a cloud/MobileMe (and maybe iWork) media event next week.

Based on history:
1. Financial earnings released Wednesday
2. Invitation issued Thursday morning for media event next week
3. Media event held on Apple Campus next Wednesday or Thursday

Could coincide with the release of the White iPhone, although I think its unlikely that there is going to be any sort of announcement until WWDC.

Comment

Eduardo1971

macrumors demi-god
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I've been with me.com (mobileme) since 2006. I, like many of those with this service, am very interested to see what Apple does with this service. I last renewed on Jan, 1; 2011.

I was really bummed when they pulled the retail box as it meant I could no longer buy the family account at a steep discount.:(

Comment

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
one more thing

Next week: iWork, iMacs, MobileMe, White iPhone at the end as "one more thing"
June: Lion release date, preview of iOS, look into Final Cut Pro and line of Pro tools.
Sept: new iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano and new cloud service with update to Apple TV.

Sounds like Apple.

Comment

Going Digital

Suspended
Feb 22, 2011
I think you are all missing the most obvious thing

All Apple software will be AppStore ONLY, this is just Apple discontinuing retail products. Apple would rather you get used to using the App Store by downloading iWork or whatever when your Mac arrives than pre-install software for you.

Apple are currently doing everything possible to encourage as many people as possible to use the App Store. Notice for example that the New Final Cut Pro only mentions availability in the App Store, no mention of retail copies being available.

Comment

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Next week: iWork, iMacs, MobileMe, White iPhone at the end as "one more thing"
June: Lion release date, preview of iOS, look into Final Cut Pro and line of Pro tools.
Sept: new iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano and new cloud service with update to Apple TV.

Sounds like Apple.

I'm quite liking those predictions

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Since you can buy individual iWork app separately for $19.99 each on the Mac App Store ($59.97 if you want all 3), which can be installed on many Macs within a household for personal use (and therefore eliminating the need for family pack), iWork shouldn't even be on the order page.

Comment

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone, including the Apple store about the future of Mobileme. I had to renew the other day and the best discount I could find was Amazon for $80 and it is now $90 on Amazon. Either way it was cheaper than renewing through Apple but I guess those days of finding an outside deal are gone so one must go direct to the source to pay more. I bought my MBP on Amazon so I just hope that discounted, tax free, deal is in tact for my next upgrade in 2012 or so.

Comment

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I don't know if Numbers should be another Excel clone. Even MS can not port Excel to Mac to have the same features like in Windows.

I really look forward iWork 2011, hope they release in June with the iPhone mini.

Comment

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone, including the Apple store about the future of Mobileme.
And this surprises you somehow? Of course the retail employees couldn't give you a "straight answer." Apple is notoriously secretive, they would never, ever give out information to the front line workers before it's released to the general public. Information at Apple is on a strict need-to-know basis. Anything and everything you read in the news and on rumour sites are just that - rumours.

You haven't been following Apple for very long, have you?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.