Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Famous film director and producer J.J. Abrams is the latest celebrity to be spotted with an Apple Watch, which he's wearing right now during the Force Awakens Panel at the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim, California. Abrams appears to be wearing a stainless steel Apple Watch with a blue band. It is possible that the band is the Blue Modern buckle for the 38mm Apple Watch, but there's also a possibility that it's a custom made navy blue Sport Band created specifically for Abrams.

jjabramsapplewatch.jpg
Along with Abrams, several other celebrities have been seen wearing the Apple Watch. Pharrell Williams wore it on reality TV show The Voice, and both Katy Perry and Drake shared Instagram photos of themselves wearing gold Apple Watch Edition models. Yesterday, a photo surfaced of designer Karl Lagerfeld with a custom gold Apple Watch with matching gold Link Bracelet.

As the launch of the Apple Watch approaches, we're likely to see it popping up on the wrists of other style icons, including celebrities, fashion designers, directors, and more, in an effort to introduce the Apple Watch to the public through these influencers. Apple's also been heavily marketing the Apple Watch in magazines and on television.

Article Link: J.J. Abrams Wears Apple Watch During Star Wars Panel in Anaheim

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Is apple gifting the watches to all the celebs or are they getting to purchase them ahead of everyone.

Regardless, now we know why there is such a shortage.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Not to be that guy but I'm going to be that guy.

Why is it that rich people get the watch early for free and yet customers have to purchase it and then wait? It reminds me of the tax system of the USA.

I'm just saying I want the watch now too. :)

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
"It is possible that the band is the Blue Modern buckle for the 38mm Apple Watch, but there's also a possibility that it's a custom made navy blue Sport Band created specifically for Abrams."

Could a third possibility be the blue leather loop band?

EDIT: Nope, Post #17 below shows it better. Looks like a sport band to me.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

Why is it that rich people get the watch early for free and yet customers have to purchase it and then wait? It reminds me of the tax system of the USA.

advertising. they advertise for them.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
At least all the nerds complaining about Karl Lagerfeld getting an aWatch will now shut up. Well-Known rich nerds are also getting aWatches for free before you.

PortCity

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015
Is apple gifting the watches to all the celebs or are they getting to purchase them ahead of everyone.

Regardless, now we know why there is such a shortage.

These are more then likely free gifts to these celebrities. Companies use celebrities all the time to market their products. Seeing a celebrity with something many times causes others to go out and buy it. Abrams is worth around $95 million so after the interview he probably went back to his $100,000 custom watch.

SelaciousBC

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
I'm getting real sick of seeing these celebs with their free and early Apple Watches. It's a real douchebag move on Apple's part. The watch is clearly selling fine without giving away free and early watches.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Why does Apple keep giving multi million celebs expensive watches while the common folk struggle to pay for their low end sport edition.

Lacasse

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006

A $500 watch for $1M in free promotion. That's why.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
people - the reason Apple gives them devices pre-launch is for the publicity it generates. eg, we're talking about it right now.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Nice! SS with black sport band... the same one I ordered!

Looks good!

I'm pretty excited about the Star Wars reboot too... hopefully Jar Jar won't be running around anywhere...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.