Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
on the jaguar subject did you guys know that there will be an event on the apple stores on friday the august 23rd at midnight.

"100 minutes of free gifts, great savings, theater demos and the chance to win a Mac. Until midnight at the apple store!

win a mac! and the new jaguar that sounds like a good deal to me.:D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by djniche
on the jaguar subject did you guys know that there will be an event on the apple stores on friday the august 23rd at midnight.

"100 minutes of free gifts, great savings, theater demos and the chance to win a Mac. Until midnight at the apple store!

win a mac! and the new jaguar that sounds like a good deal to me.:D

really? all apple stores? i just might have to make a trip...

i've already ordered it cause i had to to get my edu discount... but hopefully it ships early.. i'd love to get it BY the 25th...

thanks for the info on the instore...

awrc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
Great, I hope they manage to get quite a lot of those pre-orders out in time. I cancelled my pre-order this morning because we discovered (last week) that Apple's government rates now extend to state and local governments, so my wife was able to buy it at the government EPP rate, which is $64.50.

Then it took 3 days to get through to actually cancel my order (and upgrade the shipping on my wife's order from the default ground to next-day). You would think in this day and age you'd be able to do that sort of stuff automatically online without having to wait in a phone queue - maybe there's some other technology they need to license from Amazon. Most of the day yesterday the phone queue for order changes was over an hour.

My wife eventually got through at 7am Central (queue was only 10 minutes then) to make the order changes.

The sooner it gets here, the better - it's not just that I'm anxious to have Jaguar, but I've got a complete system rebuild (repartitioning, clean install, etc) I want to do when it arrives, and I'm looking forward to the day when my computer is once again The Way I Like It.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
Re: G4 400

Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
Has anyone out there run it on a G4/400 (or similar) machine? What's your impression?

ive ran it on my pbg4 @ 400 mhz with 384 mbs of ram and it is really nice...

i wouldnt have any worries about running jag on yer system.

-f

ZxCv

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
I pre-ordered..

..the day Jaguar was announced at MacWorld, from Apple.com, and my order still says "being assembled". I wish my Jaguar pre-order would be shipped early! :p~

awrc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
Re: I pre-ordered..

Originally posted by ZxCv
..the day Jaguar was announced at MacWorld, from Apple.com, and my order still says "being assembled". I wish my Jaguar pre-order would be shipped early! :p~

Maybe they're shipping in alphabetical order? :D

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
I just spoke with the people at the Online Store and they said that no copies the stand alone Jag had been shipped and that they would not until the 24th. (Don't flame me. That is just what the lady told me.) I ordered mine on the 17th of July and she said it would not be released until the 24th. However, they did say that my iPod case and wired remote/ear buds would be shipping today!!!!!

mattevil

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2002
jaguar in new power macs

is jaguar in the two lower end power macs right now that ship in 2-3 days or just the high end which ships in 6-8 weeks. I'm curious since i'm moving into my dorm on the 24th.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
same over the pond

Hi, I got this from Apple UK today...

>> Unfortunately the expected release date for Mac OS 10.2 is 24th August and
we will be unable to dispatch it before that date. It will however be sent
by post so that it will reach you as soon as possible- just a little more
time to wait! <<

I certainly hope that they mail it before the 24th so we GET IT on the 24th!

Hamish

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i ordered it on the phone today along with idvd 2 upgrade. i said, so will they ship separately or do i have to wait til the 24th when jag ships? she ignored the date and just said they would ship one at a time... "idvd upgrade will be out in a couple days and jaguar... late august"

doesn't mean a whole lot. but if they were so bound to the 24th, why didn't she say it? unless... they won't even be able to get all of them out (the ones that have been ordered so far) by then. ie, they'd be even later perhaps....?

just a thought

syntax

Suspended
May 8, 2002
I ordered mine on the 17th too ... no sign of shipment as yet (dammit), although I wouldn't go by what the reps are saying ... they're notoriously misinformed. I remember calling about my just-arrived copy of 10.1 last year and being informed that I couldn't possibly be in possession of it as it hadn't shipped yet.

awrc

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
I'm gonna guess that anyone who actually *asks* is going to be told that it won't ship until the 24th, simply because if Apple officially stated it was shipping before that date their phone lines would be jammed with people wanting to know why their copy hadn't shipped yet.

However, with it turning up in new machines and the reports of people's orders having shipped (and shipments already being made to resellers in preparation for the 24th) I suspect that unofficially, off the record, they're going to get at least some copies out early to people, just to spread the shipping load out a bit (i.e. so they don't end up having to ship every single pre-ordered copy on the 24th which, being a Saturday, would mean trailer after trailer full of stuff sitting waiting for Fedex pickup until Monday).

VersaCubWI

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2002
Milwaukee WI
10.2 on iBooks

I use an iBook (500MHz, 384MB RAM) and am currently using 10.2. It runs really fast on here, much faster than 10.1.5. Everything is quicker, tho I do notice a slight slowdown on boot.. but having to reboot is rare unless I install software that requires it. I'll never go back to 10.1. Apple did an awesome job on this one!!

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
>Maybe they're shipping in alphabetical order?

that would be quite difficult, what happens when Mr Doe orders before Mrs. B? do they sit around and wait to see if a Mr Cheese will order before they ship out on D's?

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
I'm running it on a Blue & White G3 that has been upgraded to a G4/500 with ATA 100 and 768MB of RAM.

The BAD:
My XLR8 Mach Speed software is unable to load/run. Given the company's status, I doubt that I'll see an update. I have no way of knowing the status of my card or its cache, though it is apparently running at 500MHz with 1MB of cache according to Apple Profile.

Jaguar has the worst Happy Mac Screen EVER. The screen is soooo bad....how bad is it? The Happy Mac Screen is so bad...I have the urge to damage my hardware in hopes of getting a Sad Mac Screen instead of having to look at the new Happy Mac Screen.

MacReporter doesn't work, but the author says he's going to release an update soon.

It feels faster, but MOX Optimize doesn't run (even after I installed the BSD Subsystem). And much of what is supposed to make Jaguar faster was already enabled in MOX, so it only really feels faster in a few other situations. The upgrade to 10.1 seemed like more of a speed bump....of course those of you who can do Quartz Extreme are going to be much further accelerated.

Show Info now goes back to the old method of opening a new window for each item. I liked it better when it would only open one window.

What happened to Dock Scraps? In very early versions of Jaguar, you could drag minimized items out of the Dock and onto the Desktop.

Still no Window Shade.

It would be nice if you could right click on the Finder Icon in the Dock and select "Hide Others".

THE OK:
I use Office vX, so the Mail.app improvements are meaningless. iCalendar is meaningless. I use iView Media Pro, so iPhoto is meaningless. I use Proteus so iChat is meaningless. I use Watson, so the new Sherlock is meaningless, but I like some of Sherlock better than Watson...I have a feeling I may end up switching to Sherlock as more modules are developed for it. The Desktop randomizer sucks compared to the free 3rd party app, ChangeDesktop.

In short, I'm not a big fan of any of the iApps, except iTunes. These new iApps are supposed to be a big part of the $129. Hmmm....I would be more inclined to pay $129 for Apple *not* to release apps that are going to compete with superior 3rd party apps.

THE GOOD:
Faster in things that were problems in the past, like dealing with windows that had lots of files. Other minor cosmetic tweaks really improve things. Networking is really kick ass.

The new calculator totally rocks. The new Flurry Screen Saver. Search and Find in the Toolbar.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
HEY! I have the same machine with just about the same upgrade....(though mine is a 550 ZIF chip, and not an ata card)

So i'm hoping my experience is a little different.

>the Search and Find in the Toolbar may be worth $20 of the upgrade, that's going to kick it here in the office!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
xlr8yourmac said that the build shipping with the imacs/books is 6C115. Can we say GM? :)

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
I ordered my copy of Jaguar on July 31st, but my credit card still hasn't been billed?? It may be because I ordered it using the educators discount or that they don't charge me until it ships. Who knows?? Has anyone else had this same problem?

Draft

p.s. On a completely unrelated note, Phish is back together! WOOOOW!!

kungfu

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
i'm running 6c115 on my ibook 500 with 192 megs of ram and it runs great, much better that 10.1.5... progs open much, much faster (i don't even see the loading window for ms word anymore!). new apps are really great, i especially like ichat. i've only noticed a few very minor bugs so far, but overall, it's a great upgrade. well done apple!

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
For all of you that waiting for jaguar
I was able to use it as wallpaper

:p I have higher resolution of this image if anybody wants it.. use PM

Attachments

• jaguar-back2.jpg
    jaguar-back2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2,170

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
A question about the jaguar update. Is it a full installation disc or a upgrade cd. I have not seen anything about upgrade cd's.

Cheers

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron
A question about the jaguar update. Is it a full installation disc or a upgrade cd. I have not seen anything about upgrade cd's.

Cheers
It's two full version CD's w/an upgrade option on them. So you can do either clean or full installs. There is no sole upgrade option. Everyone has to pay upmteen dollars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.