Jailbreak is amazing.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Opie, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Now I know this is not the iphone hack section but I wanted to discuss how much better a jailbroken iphone is that the apple sanctioned version (IMO). I am sure there are some on this forum that are on the fence like I was about why or why not to jailbreak. Now for the record I had a original iphone jailbroke using ziphone on 1.1.4. So I knew some of the benefits but was not sure if I wanted to do it on my new 3g. Well tonight I got a wild hair and decided to go for it using quickpwn. Just as I was with the first iphone that I jailbroke I was a little nervous but did it anyway. I must say that it is good to have a phone that feels personalized to my tastes. I cannot set it down. The fact that you can use the Make it mine app and customize the carrier and Banner at the top is one of the many cool personalized options you can use. You can use you wallpaper as your background. That to me is what having a phone is about. Making it feel special. The video recorder is great quality with no time limit. They can be uploaded to the comp in no time. I could go on and on. I guess what im trying to say is that for those of you on the fence about doing it would be go for it. I guarantee you will like your iphone more. Oh and YES my name is really James Bond.

2. Opie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opie

3. Opie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opie

I did it again.

Attached Files:

4. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Thats pretty tight, but i dont like the arrangment of the icons and that bottom bar is gone.

5. Opie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opie

That is one of the settings. They can be turned back the way they were with the names and all. I just have them turned off.

6. cajunbettyboop macrumors newbie

help

i have a iphone 16g tell me how did u get that on your phone how did u get that to be on your homescream

7. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I am still on the fence about jailbreaking, but being able to change themes, pictures, icons, etc. is not one of the options I care about (I like to keep things classic). Some of the main things I am mulling over are the option for tethering and the option to download podcasts over wifi. Not sure what else there is besides the look, but if anyone would like to comment on those items or any other things besides the look of the phone, I'd love to hear.

8. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I'm also not interested in jailbreaking for any of the reasons people usually jailbreak for. The only things that would maybe interest me are different ways to organize homescreens, and a videorecorder. That's it! But any time I've invesitgated jailbeaking, I see too many horror stories of things going wrong. (Not to mention the process, while meant to seem "easy," still seems confusing -- with conflicting reports on how to best go about it). Even if things went wrong only 1% of the time, and the other 99% of attempts were successful, that's still way too much of a risk for me to take. Organization and videorecording are nice, but I can live without them. What I CAN'T live without is my iPhone. ;)

9. iRob213 macrumors member

iRob213

Long time lurker...first time poster!

I've been on the fence since July 11 but jumped this week. No problems what so ever with the "break". I have always been one to tweak desktops with themes and such and really like that capability.

I did get the Cycorder, which is awesome as well, and I'm looking into tethering and few things, but hope not to get to carried away!!!

10. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i was thinking about doing this as well. can you give me your opinion on how time consuming it was and the difficulty of it? also, do you have a link to the instuructions you used?

11. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

12. iRob213 macrumors member

iRob213

13. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

I jailbroke my original iPhone 2G before I sold it on ebay so that I could extend my market of buyers. It was a simple process then, but from what I've read it's even more simple now with quickpwn. I haven't yet jailbroken my 3G. I love the aspect that you can customize your springboards. That's probably one of my favorite threads in the hacks section. I have NO IDEA why apple doesn't allow us to do that now. It makes absolutely no sense whatsover to not give us that basic feature. Also, if they start rejecting apps, like Slingbox and Orb, I'm 99% positive, they'll be released on Cydia. If that happens, I will definitiely be jailbreaking my phone to get them.

14. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Yes, welcome to what many have been saying for a long time now....

15. cenetti macrumors 6502

jail breaking takes 5 mintues...it's easy and painless...

I love the custom alert sounds...

When I unlock, it says 'Unlocked'
    When I get a new mail, it says 'new mail'
    etc..
    and themes, video wallpapers are super cool and trippy...
    And categories ! I love it, everything is organized...

*That's a video wallpaper, you can watch it here ; http://www.thememyphone.com/displayimage-155-3.html

Attached Files:

16. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

ok, so what about these situations:

1. apple releases an update. does the update brick the phone or return it to it's original state or are you unable to d/l the update because your phone is j/b?

2. does it void your warranty if you have issues and need to take it to apple for service?

3. what happens if you lose data and have to do a restore from itunes? will it restore? will it convert it back to the original state? or does a restore get prevented because it's j/b?

4. will MobileMe be affected by a j/b phone? will your current apps and/or settings be reset/removed by the j/b?

17. amro macrumors 6502

18. aluren macrumors 65816

i would also like to know about voiding the apple warranty. if we do a full restore, would apple know that we jailbreaked the phone? being apple, i would think they would somehow find out through a hidden, embedded, encrypted file somewhere (in order to save repair costs)... i've googled this and searched everywhere, but search results shows mix response....

that is actually the only thing i'm still trying to find out before jailbreaking my iphone.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Maybe I'm just not an interesting person, but I can not even begin to imagine why changing the carrier name at the top of the screen is something someone took the time to figure out how to do.

Video-recording...ok, I can see that. But the rest of this stuff honestly has me confused.

I do enough trouble-shooting with all of my technical devices that I don't need yet another variable in the list of things to check. The biggest problem people had with the Leopard update on their Macs was caused by a fricken Logitech mouse driver.

In a world where mouse drivers can cause blue-screens-of death, I really don't see the need to mess around with my phone to this extent. I have enough trouble with dropped calls as it is. Why mess with the success I do have just so I can move some icons around?

20. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

after reading your post...and thinking about j/b a bit more, i'm in agreement. i don't think i'm going to j/b my phone and be grateful for the success i'm having with it presently.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I mean, I certainly understand jailbreaking. I'm happy for the people who enjoy it and I wish them well.

It just seems to me that it's going to add to the time it takes me to maintain my phone and make sure it's running well. I don't need a way to spend MORE time working with this thing, so I steer clear of this kind of stuff.

But I did want to point out that I don't have a problem with it. It all seems cool, I just don't have the time to deal with it.

22. Omologato macrumors newbie

I feel like if you bought an iPhone, you've already decided you want to spend a lot of time with you phone. I jailbroke last night (took less than 5 minutes) for the first time and now I have an NES and a GBA emulator...it doesn't get any better than this.

23. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

Hmm, i was in the same boat as a lot of the people here about not wanting to jailbreak, i mean, it all seemed cool and whatnot, but i too didn't want to worry about what happens when it came time to upgrade to new firmware, or if i was going to have instability issues, or how time consuming it would be to maintain my phone.

So, i took the time to backup my clean, unbroken 2.1 firmware in case anything went wrong, and took the leap.

In less than an hour my phone was jailbroken and all of my data synced back to it like it had been the day before. No instability issues, no headaches, and i had a clean backup just in case i needed to come back from the "dark side."

I think a lot of people are making this process seem more troublesome than it really is; this isn't like taking a leap from a relationship to marriage, folks. It doesn't turn your phone into a battery draining, constantly crashing, piece of junk that you have to pay attention to and maintain more than you did before. Jailbreaking honestly doesn't make the iPhone any more or less stable than it already is. You know the saying...people shouldn't comment on things they have never tried, as i was in the "i am never going to jailbreak, it's pointless" camp, and i am happy with my jailbroken 2.1 now, more so than i was with stock. And if jailbreaking can do that for some of you, then i'd say it's worth it. Just my .02 cents.

24. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

because of this topic, i've spent the past few hours just researching/reading about j/b....and honestly....it's not as easy and maintenance free as people in this thread lead others to believe.

"took less than 5 minutes"....ya, but that's your case...i've read a few hundred now that is quite the opposite....or the maintenance of j/b all over again after an apple update.

also, i think your comment to SWC about "I feel like if you bought an iPhone, you've already decided you want to spend a lot of time with you phone." is way, WAY off key and judgemental.

why would you assume someone who buys an iphone wants to spend a ton of time with it. it's just a phone, right? no different than a BB or Android phone. sure they all do things better/worse than each other, but by no means does owning one of these phones label a user as someone who wants to spend a lot of time on it.

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've BEEN trying it. Not on an iPhone but on desktop computers for the last 15 years. I install all kinds of stuff on my computers, and I sometimes have to deal with the repercussions of that.

Just this week my MacPro fans started running all the time. Dunno what caused that. I've already spent an hour with google and I'm no closer to finding the cause.

Also, 50% of the DVDs I burn in my little duplication Robot are failing now. OSX update? DVD Studio Pro update? Maybe the drive is dying? Robot-software update? All of these are things I have to investigate.

Those are just the most recent examples. When you introduce more elements to a system, this kind of stuff is bound to pop up from time to time. I deal with it on the desktop because I need all these applications. But on my phone? Thanks, but what I gain isn't compelling enough for me to go through all this.