Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The team behind the "unc0ver" jailbreaking tool for iOS has released version 6.0.0 of its software, which can allegedly be used to jailbreak any device running iOS 11.0 through iOS 14.3 using a kernel vulnerability.

unc0ver-version-6-release.jpg

The unc0ver website describes how the tool has been extensively tested across a range of iOS devices running various software versions, including an iPhone 12 Pro Max running iOS 14.3. The unc0ver website says the tool utilizes "native system sandbox exceptions" to maintain security while accessing jailbreak files.

Prior to the tool's initial release, the only way to jailbreak devices up to the ‌iPhone‌ 8 and ‌iPhone‌ X was through "checkra1n," which is another jailbreaking tool made by the same security researcher responsible for the "checkm8" exploit.

Apple in January released iOS and iPadOS 14.4, which introduced security fixes for kernel and WebKit vulnerabilities that affected all iPhones and iPads running previous versions of iOS or iPadOS 14. According to a recent tweet from Pwn20wnd, an iOS hacker and unc0ver developer, the jailbreaking tool utilizes an exploit based on a kernel vulnerability patched in iOS 14.4 that offers "optimal exploit speed and stability."

iPhones that have been updated to iOS 14.4 are not compatible with the new unc0ver jailbreaking tool, and there is no way to downgrade to iOS 14.3.

Article Link: Jailbreak Tool 'unc0ver' 6.0.0 Released With iOS 14.3 Compatibility

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Really incredible that they are still able to release free jailbreaks for iOS, 14 major versions after Apple started trying to stop them. I remember thinking 8.x was gonna be the end... Great job to this team!
It's always the same story - once a new iOS version gets released, there are articles and tweets about how it's much harder now to crack into the new OS and make a Jailbreak, meanwhile a few months later - a huge JB gets released supporting the most recent iPhones.

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
Before anyone asks: Yes, many people still jailbreak (with over 500k subscribers on the jailbreak forum on Reddit). Yes, it’s our choice if we do it and we understand if you don’t jailbreak.
And I hope you understand that as someone who creates software to feed and house my family, it's my choice to think poorly of software piracy, which is the main reason people jailbreak (though I'm certainly not saying everyone's reason, or yours).

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
And I hope you understand that as someone who creates software to feed and house my family, it's my choice to think poorly of software piracy, which is the main reason people jailbreak (though I'm certainly not saying everyone's reason, or yours).
App piracy is no longer as prevalent on jailbreaks as before purely because there are much more popular solutions that do not require a jailbreak (with third-party signing services and automatic IPA self-signing apps being the most popular options I’ve seen). In fact, piracy of jailbreak tweaks themselves are a much bigger problem in the jailbreak world than using jailbreaks to install free apps.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Why do people always think Jailbreak = Pirated software?
You can pirate iOS apps without Jailbreak too.

People Jb to enable features that otherwise Apple wouldn't let you enable - enable themes, customize a lot of things, add new features etc...

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Wrong. You can pirate any app you want now, without a jailbreak. People jailbreak to tweak their phones.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Piracy is far be it from the de facto reason to JB

Many myself included look extremely unkindly towards it , both for App Store apps and paid tweaks.

Hallelujah iPhone 12 variants can now be jailbroken and iOS 14 on devices newer than a11 (a9-11 have enjoyed iOS 14 jailbreak since the start since they have hw bootrom exploit checkra1n)

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
Before anyone asks: Yes, many people still jailbreak (with over 500k subscribers on the jailbreak forum on Reddit). Yes, it’s our choice if we do it and it’s fine if you don’t jailbreak.
Why bother? unless you run pirated software. But it's not worth it. You have to wait for a new Jailbreak version with every new update of IOS. plus you run the risk of bricking the device. Tech Guy.

Just use Android if you want to share and run APPS

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Before anyone asks: Yes, many people still jailbreak (with over 500k subscribers on the jailbreak forum on Reddit). Yes, it’s our choice if we do it and it’s fine if you don’t jailbreak.
500k subscribers is meaningless. I'm subscribed but haven't jailbroken anything since iPod Touch 4G. I suspect subscribers are leftover from the peak years. These days, jailbreaking iPhones is just as popular as when the iPhone was first released.

Even if we assumed 500k is the best case for amount of jailbreak users, that's still far less than one tenth of 1 percent of all users. I wouldn't label that "many".

2021-02-28 10_14_00-Window.jpg

Last edited:

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
Well, I see no sense in it myself. There are better ways to spend my time than "tweaking" my freaking phone, but hey, that's me. Whatever floats your boat. However, the jailbreaking effort that's ongoing does help Apple identify and close security holes, so it's all good, all 'round. We all have different ways of learning, and JBing is just another one of them.

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
It's worse than that. With Apps using AI, which contain valuable ML models that can be lifted and stolen, this hampers innovation. I was working on an iOS App last year for a company which wanted to move it's AI from the cloud to on-device. In the end they decided it was too risky as even iOS can't secure their IP.
At Apple WWDC last year Apple introduced some measure to try to combat this but it only works, and encrypts, with models that use Apple's ML lib exclusively. Even then it stlll isn't 100% certain it is secure. Not with this software in the wild now.
Unless a platform like iOS, or MacOS, can offer an un-jailbreakable environment our devices will always need to be tethered to the cloud for advanced applications that use AI.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Why bother? unless you run pirated software. But it's not worth it. You have to wait for a new Jailbreak version with every new update of IOS. plus you run the risk of bricking the device. Tech Guy.

Just use Android if you want to share and run APPS

because the stock user experience is confined to what apple lets you do

if I have an a14 processor why can’t I speed animations up to open apps when they’re already loaded in ram should I want to?

or see battery percent in the status bar without having to look at a widget or control center

or theming the icons since they’ve been the same
For 7 years

or five icons in the spacious dock

Or tapping the blank space in home screen a few times to lock my device instead of accessibility fake home button or back tap or the lock button

or maybe scan your face and Auto Unlock without swipe up if there aren’t notifications for a more seamless entry without user touch input

just to make a few examples

sometimes quality of life improvement tweaks are impactful so much so functionally they get baked in an iOS update as a profound new trailblazing feature

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.