Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Before anyone asks: Yes, many people still jailbreak (with over 500k subscribers on the jailbreak forum on Reddit). Yes, it’s our choice if we do it and it’s fine if you don’t jailbreak.
Lmao. I was just about to say this. I figured the first comment would have been, “Do people still jailbreak?”

Reactions: Seoras

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
iPhone X (iOS 14.3) + unc0ver + AltStore + AltDaemon + AppSync Unified + refresh apps within AltStore every 7 days = ?

Did I mention that you can use Face ID with unc0ver, unlike checkra1n? Yup.

I forgot the iPhone X got screwed over with iOS 14 changes

that would be a pain without authentication cause the SEP mishap

that’s pain after a couple years of a latest versions and being used to that without hiccup

DesertNomad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Nevada
And I hope you understand that as someone who creates software to feed and house my family, it's my choice to think poorly of software piracy, which is the main reason people jailbreak (though I'm certainly not saying everyone's reason, or yours).

Exactly. My wife and I own a small software company with no employees other than us and a contract developer (for our Windows version). I have been doing this for 20 years and have had people tell me outright that they will simply pirate our software. It's all rather depressing.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Exactly. My wife and I own a small software company with no employees other than us and a contract developer (for our Windows version). I have been doing this for 20 years and have had people tell me outright that they will simply pirate our software. It's all rather depressing.

I'll admit, in my, um, younger days, I would "borrow" a software code or two. But as I got older and worked a real job and career, I got a new appreciation for other peoples' hard work.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
And I hope you understand that as someone who creates software to feed and house my family, it's my choice to think poorly of software piracy, which is the main reason people jailbreak (though I'm certainly not saying everyone's reason, or yours).

If it is about stealing software, it is not ok at all. If it is about doing, what ever you want with your iOS device, it is ok. I stopped jailbraking long time ago, because I get everything I want and: I value the fact, my iOS devices (credit card, bank account, access tools...) are kind of very secure and just do their job in an almost perfect way.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
yes
. . . the jailbreaking effort that's ongoing does help Apple identify and close security holes, so it's all good, all 'round. We all have different ways of learning, and JBing is just another one of them.
good points (I think), still . . .
It's worse than that. With Apps using AI, which contain valuable ML models that can be lifted and stolen, this hampers innovation. I was working on an iOS App last year for a company which wanted to move it's AI from the cloud to on-device. In the end they decided it was too risky as even iOS can't secure their IP.
At Apple WWDC last year Apple introduced some measure to try to combat this but it only works, and encrypts, with models that use Apple's ML lib exclusively. Even then it stlll isn't 100% certain it is secure. Not with this software in the wild now.
Unless a platform like iOS, or MacOS, can offer an un-jailbreakable environment our devices will always need to be tethered to the cloud for advanced applications that use AI.
yes
yes
If it is about stealing software, it is not ok at all. If it is about doing, what ever you want with your iOS device, it is ok. I stopped jailbraking long time ago, because I get everything I want and: I value the fact, my iOS devices (credit card, bank account, access tools...) are kind of very secure and just do their job in an almost perfect way.
yes

My initial reaction to seeing this article on MacRumors was mild shock that jailbreaking software would be publicized here . . .

Fundamentally, if I'm going to purchase a product, particularly one that I rely upon throughout the day and expect to work seamlessly with the other products in the ecosystem, the idea of doing this would never cross my mind.

The only redeeming value to it that I can see is IF there is a benefit to Apple in identifying security holes, as @luvbug mentions. And if that is the case, it is certainly not the point of the software, only a side-effect.

billk711

Suspended
Oct 11, 2011
App piracy is no longer as prevalent on jailbreaks as before purely because there are much more popular solutions that do not require a jailbreak (with third-party signing services and automatic IPA self-signing apps being the most popular options I’ve seen). In fact, piracy of jailbreak tweaks themselves are a much bigger problem in the jailbreak world than using jailbreaks to install free apps.
Says who? It's all the cheap parole that don't want to pay 99 cents for an app, jail breaking is a joke.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Last time I JB'ed my iPhone I needed to be able to record phone calls easily, that was a long time ago. I have no reason or incentive to do it now, and I would rather keep my phone secure with the latest updates...
Like yourself, I prefer to keep my phone safe with the latest updates.

But I do wonder why the option to record calls isn't an option in iOS. There must be a ton of people who get harassing phone calls, and that feature would be extremely useful for them.

I mean, it's not like you can even prevent calls from being recorded, as you could always use the phone speaker and a tape recorder. At much greater inconvenience.

Reactions: Menneisyys2

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Not the jailbreak developers‘ fault, but the existence of jailbreaks is a bad sign for all of us, as it means there are known security vulnerabilities that could potentially be exploited in more harmful ways as well.

Reactions: jimbotheitbod

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Not the jailbreak developers‘ fault, but the existence of jailbreaks is a bad sign for all of us, as it means there are known security vulnerabilities that could potentially be exploited in more harmful ways as well.

not really. The exploits have already been patched. They don’t work on iOS 14.4 and the CVE was publicly released , it’s what lead to this JB.

these have to be intentionally exploited too

so unless you install a fake JB, these vulnerabilities couldn’t lead to a JB without user instructing it and going through the lengths to get it on your phone and run it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.