Jailbreaking = Software Piracy?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hugodrax, Jul 15, 2011.

?

People Jailbreak so they can get apps for free

1. True.

66 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. False.

200 vote(s)
    75.2%
  1. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

I do not Jailbreak but I hear quite a bit of talk regarding it, anyone I have seen with a Jailbroken phone has pirated apps. Do you think Jail breaking is all about piracy?

2. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No . I have jailbroken and bought apps/themes from Cydia /app store worth 1500 dollars.
    Very few percentage of jbers pirate . I hate it when jailbreaking piracy are considered same :)

3. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

No.
    I spend a fortune on apps and Cydia tweaks

Jailbreaking for me is getting more out of the phone not pirating.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The philosophy behind jailbreaking is completely against piracy.

5. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

As localboy28 says it's just getting the best out of what you have I don't see it as piracy.

6. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I jailbreak my phone in order to unlock it's fullest potential. Things like quick reply should come on a stock phone in my opinion.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

No and it pisses me off when people say it is. people that steal a .99 app are a joke. I jb to improve Apples OS and because it's my device not Apples. I also don't tether for those that want to throw that in. JB had multitasking years before apple had it. the ease of SB Setting alone will make me jailbreak. thing I hate about Jailbreakme is it's to easy for people that have no clue what they are doing.

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Source? Actual percentage?

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I would say that is naive

I would be willing to bet that the vast majority who jailbreak do it for the free apps or to circumvent carrier paid offerings

As is bittorrent but we all know how that goes.

10. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

11. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I'd be willing to bet some, but not most, people jailbreak to pirate apps. However, for most of us, that's not the case.

I'll admit I have Installous installed on my iPhone, however, I ONLY use it to test out apps to see if I like the functionality, features, etc. From then I always delete them and buy them in the App Store so the developer gets their props. I use Installous like a trial period, so to speak. A few of my friends do the same thing. We're honest people and understand the hard work that goes into coding these apps. I have not one pirated app installed on my iPhone right now.

If Apple would actually add the trial feature in the App Store, I'd have no need for Installous and could discard it.

12. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Never once used a pirated app. I've spent easily $150 on Cydia apps and think it's only fair that the devs working on this side of the fence get a cut of proceeds like the guys on the other.

Jailbreaking CAN mean software piracy and often does, but it is up to each person to decide if they want to do that after the jailbreak.

13. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

According to saurik it's almost 4/10 iPhones

14. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

:D So you only pirate apps for a little while and then return them. Honest people.

15. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Same here. I pay for everything, from the iTunes/App store to Cydia. Piracy is against the law. Don't do it.

16. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Same. I am a programmer (not iPhone apps), and feel app developers deserve $'s for creating the app.

17. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

While I understand the hilarity of that guy's post, it does point out the need for trail versions / returns on apps. There are a lot of fantastic apps out there. But there's also a lot of poop. More than half of the apps I've bought have been deleted immediately after the first use of them. Sure wish I could have demoed it and then chosen to not buy. (I know about Lite versions, most apps don't have them.)

18. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I've had a jailbroken iPhone since I jailbroke my iPhone 3G in 2009 and I've only used Installous once, and that wasn't even for piracy, but to roll back an app to a previous version after I updated the app and the new version had some changes I didn't like. Appulous had the old version available for download, but like I said, this was for a $10 app that I had already paid for.

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

*Except for Apple software. That's okay. :rolleyes:

20. N e e k macrumors 6502

Generaly speaking...

Pragmatically speaking, people who whine about people that pirate a 0.99 application on their phone is absurd. Let's be honest... how many of you actually pay for most of the songs on your iTunes library?

21. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I don't, but that's because a lot of the music I listen to is free in the first place. Gotta love rappers, never a shortage of free music.

22. APtalent macrumors regular

Yes.

I jailbroke my iPhone 4 to install pirated apps.

I also charge $20 for every jailbreak and encourage piracy by installing Installous by default.

23. Supraking, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

Supraking macrumors member

I buy all my apps but I do it because I know how hard and time consuming is to code and design those apps, not because is against the law.
    Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod touch

24. dba415 macrumors 6502

my iPhone is jailbroken and I only have one app on it and its called Lock Calendar.

I don't have Installous, SBsettings or any other app off of cydia.

25. DKTacts macrumors member

I voted no - my jailbroken iPhone provides much greater utility than what the normal iPhone does not. For example - why the eff did they take out the double tap home button > camera feature. I have that back on my phone now. :D