Jailbreaking your iPhone is a very bad idea.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by klamse25, Apr 29, 2010.

1. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

I have owned every iPhone up to the 3GS (soon, the 4th iPhone) and I have jailbroken each device, each time giving it "another chance."
    About a month after each time I jailbreak it I restore because of the poor performance and battery life.
    It makes the phone so much buggier, and technically is illegal.
    It's a plus to those who don't jailbreak to get updates w/o having all the data deleted from your apps.
    There's a reason Apple doesn't allow it.

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (JB3.1, unlocked): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7D11 Safari/531.21.10)

Edifying, really.

3. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Starting a Fight

Are you trying to start a fight, I'm with you but I think we are the minority on this one. The Jailbreakers just don't get why it is wrong.

4. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Jailbreaking isn't wrong. I jailbreak and life is life. Jailbreaking to pirate apps is wrong but jailbreaking in general isn't wrong. Get over yourself.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't think there is enough precedent either way to say its illegal or not. If it was illegal, I'd think Apple would be more aggressive against jailbreaking and shut down all the sites dedicated to it. That's not really the issue here though.

The issue is you've had a lot of bad luck or have been using poor tools. There are many of us that have been jb'ing our phones for a long time with no issues at all. Sorry your experience has not been pleasant as mine.

7. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Anything with the mobile substrate add-ons kills my performance. That's pretty much the only reason I jailbreak.

8. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Jailbreaking crashed my 2G but was fine for my 3G and def no probs with my 3GS!!!

Winterboard caused probs on my older iphones so I got rid

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It would also depend on your country, but I have a hard time believing that there's a law against installing third-party software on your own device.

Edit: I'm talking about the free apps and Cydia etc themselves, not pirated commercial apps.

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

And non-jailbreakers just don't get why it is fine to do so. I also don't condone cracked apps.

11. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Apps like iRealSMS and SBSettings make my phone complete. I see little to no difference in bugginess and battery life.

12. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

This. Also, I jailbroke my 3GS back in August and have had no issue with bugginess or decreased battery life. It functions exactly as it did when I got it (or the difference is so miniscule as to be unnoticeable.)

13. RichL macrumors 6502

You've convinced me to never Jailbreak again. You should be a lawyer.

14. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

He's right on some things. I don't jailbreak because things are buggy and your phone won't perform as designed.

15. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Jailbroken iPhone is 10 times better than a stock iPhone

just a phone...not like its drinking and driving

multitask, custom sms and mail tones, tethering, custom fonts and backgrounds = a good idea to me

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

My thoughts exactly. Actually, there have been enough bugs and other crap wrong with the OS's we've had that jailbreaking is a necessity. GPS requiring locationd to be deleted in some cases, Wifi consistently dropping to 3G because of errors in the software (fixed by SBSettings toggle), the list goes on. Not to mention all the things Apple has decided we don't need, because somehow they've decided it'll "ruin the user experience." BS. It'll ruin the chance to charge for the next iPhone, when Apple dribbles out another little gem for us (Cut, Copy and Paste….give me a break).

Also, where does the OP get this idea that it's illegal?? It voids the warranty; that's all.

Yeah, there's a reason Apple doesn't allow jailbreaking. :rolleyes:

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You probably shouldn't state your personal experiences as facts.

My 3GS has been jailbroken since I got it and I have yet to have an issue.

18. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Excuse me. THE phone won't perform as designed. Better? ;)

19. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Not really. Nothing personal.

Saying the phone isn't going to perform as it's supposed to/is going to be buggy due to jailbreaking is like saying jumping in three feet of water will net you a broken neck.

It's only true if you do it wrong. ;)

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Right. It performs better than designed. :)

21. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Probably a stretch there :)

22. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

jailbreaking is not illegal. stealing apps is illegal. ill never NOT jailbreak. bitesms and iblacklist for life!

23. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

How's that?

I can use my 3G connection on my Macbook Pro. Can you?

I can enable/disable my 3G/wifi/location from my lockscreen. Can you?

My phone tells me how many emails I have waiting for me before I unlock it. Does yours?

I could go on for a while...

24. Gatorsxrule macrumors member

Jailbreaking does not make your phone slow, the add-ons do. It is your fault that it's slow and has bad battery life

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Right it doesn't perform as designed, it's so much better. If you jail broke and found it to be buggy after OS 2.0 then it was the poorly-researched add-on crap you installed. With a little reading you can figure out what is good and what isn't. Fwiw, when I jail broke my first iPhone it was buggy, thats not the case at all now and hasn't been for quite some time.