Jamie Lynn Spears expecting child at 16 - wtf.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ReanimationLP, Dec 18, 2007.

1. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=289216

All I have to say is wtf.

Seriously, and yet, their mother is supposed to be writing a book of how to be a good parent.

Isnt that a good sense of irony? Your one daughter is going ape-sh*tin' crazy, and your second child cant keep her underpants around her waist/use a condom? Shes got lots of money, I'm sure. Condoms are what, 2 bucks a box?

Is there any law that can be passed that sterlizes these Spears children?

2. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Apparently the lower end of the human spectrum is reproducing more rapidly than the upper end :rolleyes:

3. ReanimationLP thread starter macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

What can ya say? Trailer trash will always be trailer trash.

4. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Hey now! There's some pretty darn good trailer folk out there. Lets not paint with too big of a brush :p

5. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Unfortunately, while this behavior can't be celebrated, I don't think these types of comments help the realities of teen pregnancy one bit. We can all call them morons and imply they're lower forms of humans, but is it easier only because they're blonde and/or because they have money? Honestly, I'll never understand how this kind of behavior (hers/theirs) and these types of reactions (above) doesn't diminish us all. Sometimes having too many options is its own form of ghetto, where moral authority doesn't exist, and there is no judgment more influential than your own... and not in the good way.

~ CB

6. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

You know what doesn't help though?

People defending the behaviour as acceptable when clearly it isn't.

That, and the other situation we have, where glossy magazines are putting a gorgeous front cover of lil' spears saying how well she's doing. This "enhancement of fame" does nothing but made other under-educated 14-18 year olds think "gee, if I open my legs, it's the best few hours work I'll ever do"

We need to get real, and start calling a spade a spade...or in this case, a tramp.

7. macinfojunkie macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

Unless any of are being asked to support this child once it is born, what business is it of ours to judge?

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Kinda what I was thinking, but put better!

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Most of these twunts make it our business by parading their pitiful lives out in front of the media. They are fair game for criticism.

Lots of things aren't our business really, robberies, violent crimes, kidnappings, etc. sometimes it's not so bad to get involved, especially when it's negative going ons. Someone should have taught these girls better than this.

<shrug>

The Spears family are proof that money cannot buy class.

10. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I wonder who said the behavior was acceptable? Does every sin give people free reign to start questioning someone's humanity? Don't pretend anyone is saying otherwise, simply because you want to throw the rock in your hand. Someone said that Brittany and her sister should be sterilized and that they belonged to a lower rung of humanity for their mistakes. I said that kind of talk diminishes us all.

How would I criticise them instead? First, its not for me to judge. If she was my daughter though, I'd certainly say she's made some serious mistakes in the way she's conducting her life, and they need to sort it out. As I noted however, money often puts you in a category where treatment and discipline be arbitrarily ignored. The problem of teen pregnancy isn't something isolated to Jamie Lynn... its happening all over right now, and responsible adults need to conduct themselves as such, and talk towards solutions, not open mockery.

If you still feel the need to paint those with different, more practical viewpoints as "cheer leaders" for bad behavior, go right ahead and continue as part of the problem.

~ CB

11. bartelby macrumors Core

Only if you bother to take notice. MR is the only place I ever read "celeb gossip".

To me it's just another 16 year old pregnant girl.

12. Queso macrumors G4

She's 16. It's therefore perfectly legal for her to have sex IMO, and although they should have been more careful, at least both parents are taking responsibility for their actions and subsequent decision to keep the child. Best of luck to them all I say.

13. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

It's a sad thing all 'round. My wife and I had our first child early this year and that $H!T IS HARD!

Let's hope she has a lot of good help from the families involved and that the child is safe. My first reaction was to think of a trailer-trash joke, too, but I'll take a breath and wish 'em luck. Lots of 16 year olds make big mistakes—most don't have to do it with the help of a publicist.

Now if a sex-tape of her turns up on the internet, THEN I'll condemn her.

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Not in california if her boyfriend is over 18, which he is.
    [​IMG]

15. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I've never read such rubbish in all my life.

How is it possible that a sixteen year old is supposed to pass on knowledge and ambition to their children, when they have accumulated none of the former, and have destroyed all chances of the latter? Answer me that.

16. Queso macrumors G4

You noticed the IMO there yes? She's in a relationship and both parents want to bring up the child. There's far worse cases out there. Why penalise this particular young lady?

Besides, can you say for definite which state they conceived the child in? In Mississippi where the Spears family originate the age of sexual consent is 16.

17. macinfojunkie macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

Seeing as a lot of the judgemental comments above are coming from a country who's Government will let people die unless they have the right medical insurance, I find all this morality soap boxing amusing.

18. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Some ones trying to hard to be like her bigger sister.. And the reason why this is a big deal is because shes not just another teenage mom, shes a huge roll model for all the girls who watch her (terrible) tv show.

19. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

True ... let's see if she goes in for the head shaving routine also.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well first of all her mother writing a book on how to be a good parent is certainly over-shadowed by her daughters behavior. However, there are times when even the most remarkable parents bring up children who make bad decisions. I know this first hand and all I can say is that any decision made had nothing to do with the quality of parenting.

As far as having enough money for condoms. I'm not sure you can qualify this as being a situation of lack of cash for a $2.00 piece of latex. She is 16 and at 16 you don't always make the best decisions. He may have said he'd take a certain action that would prevent her from getting pregnant or she may have thought if she did something after the fact then she couldn't. There are so many "you can't get pregnant if..." myths out there that I wouldn't doubt it if the girl thought she'd be able to win this one.

I do not equate trailer trash to teen pregnancy. If this is the way that you think then you've got some serious research to do. Teen pregnancy is not exactly housing specific. You can live in a 100-unit apartment complex, a nice single family residence in the burbs, or yes...a trailer. I'm not sure her decision to have sex and then the mistake that came after the fact has much to do with where she lived/lives. Again, I know of a person who had a child at 16. She grew up with everything under the sun and had amazing parents. She made a bad decision and ended up with one of the most remarkable children I know today. She also grew up in a nice city in a large house that never had wheels, and went to a wonderful school. Oh and she had enough for a condom and chose to not use it. Is she now trailer trash? Probably in your eyes but I'd venture to guess she is less trashy than most people.
    :rolleyes:

And finally, who in the hell are we to judge what this kid does? Seriously now.

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm sorry, but isn't one of the roles of a good parent to debunk all of those myths?

There are more than 10 forms of female birth control, a 16 year old who has a "long time boyfriend" and may be sexually active and does not intend to get pregnant darn well better be using one of them, if not more, preferably one that requires no action like Norplant. (Just so that it's not a choice made by the teen alone).

B

22. macinfojunkie macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

Oh and just remember folks. Someday this baby is going to grow up and start surfing the web. I hope they don't find this thread :p

23. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

For all we know they did use birth control. It's not 100%, and some folks is unlucky.

Also, it's probable that Jamie Lynn reached sexual maturity 4, 5, maybe even 6 or 7 years ago. It's a weird, weird thing that this biological event is divorced from becoming independent by 1 or 2 decades.

IMO, it's a bad choice to be sexually active at 16. But in the big picture, I'd be terrified if no member of the species, upon reaching sexual maturity, decided to, you know, have sex for a decade. :eek:

24. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Ha.:D If in ten years she searches for commentary about her mom's pregnancy announcement and google spits out this thread on its front page of results, I'll buy Arn a coke. ;)

25. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Thank you. I don't understand why people think getting angry and pulling out their scarlet letters solves problems... OR that anyone who takes a different approach to NOT enabling the issue is automatically wrong if they don't have a flaming torch in their hand.

~ CB