Japanese 'Get a Mac' Ads

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2006.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Japan appears to have recreated Japanese versions of the Get a Mac ads with Japanese actors. The new ads can be seen at http://www.apple.com/jp/getamac/ads/

The original U.S. versions of the ads can still be found at Apple's Get a Mac site.

The original ads featured Justin Long as "Mac" and John Hodgman as "PC". Recent reports have claimed that Justin Long will no longer be in future Get a Mac ads.

2. NVRsayNVR macrumors member

Wonder how long these ads will last! It's funny, I knew exactly what they were saying. Guess I speak Japanese now :D

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

That was amusing :). I knew what they were saying too. Of course I actually do speak Japanese :cool:.

4. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Alright geniuses. Now that you've divulged your great linguistic abilities, why don't you provide a brief translation!

5. sbrhwkp3 macrumors 6502a

sbrhwkp3

Hahah entertaining. That stinks that Justin Long is done though. He was a good fit for these ads.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Maybe it's because we watch these ads too much... I too understood what they were saying

7. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Hehe. They are so identical that the Japanese Mac even looks like Justin Long :D

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Why did they replace Justin Long in these ads? ...I could have sworn he spoke Japanese. ;) :p

9. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

10. nodrog6 macrumors newbie

those were friggin awesome. i love how they are funny even though they're in japanese

11. GregA2 macrumors member

That sucks Justin Long isn't going to be in the ads anymore. I hope they don't stop them altogether- I was looking forward to some really good ones once Zune and Vista get here... :D

12. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

13. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I'm not sure why you guys think the ads are more amusing simply because they're in a foreign language :confused: Not everyone in the world speaks english.

14. vocaro macrumors regular

In addition to the Japanese version, there are four other non-English ads. Unfortunately, unlike the Japanese one, they are simply dubbed and do not use other actors.

15. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

16. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Ironically the Japanese site seems to crash Safari on my powerbook...

Firefox works though :rolleyes:

17. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

It seems these ads are almost a carbon copy of US versions which are translated into Japanese. In one of the ads, the PC guys says he uses clock with PC while the Mac guy says he likes using iLife and all. Have you noticed the PC guy was using the fuggly looking belt case for iPod?
    On the second ad, the Mac and PC guys were talking about why people call Macintosh computers Mac. The PC guy is jealous that Mac sounds like a friend and he wants to get a nick name rather than a mundane name PC. So, a Mac guy said PCs are used for work and suggested the PC guy's nick name would be "Work." The PC guys digged that nick name.
    The virus commercial is almost identical with the US version.

18. curmi macrumors regular

I wonder if they'll do a version of the ad with the female camera that speaks Japanese, but make her an American camera that speaks English. :)

19. MrCrowbar macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

American Camera? Err.... I don't know any American brand that makes cameras... :rolleyes:

20. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

In that US version ad, the Japanese chick says the PC guy looks like a "otaku." I think "Otaku" is roughly translated to homeboy (stay-at-home guy or geek).

21. tom_s macrumors member

Kodak?

22. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

They can have the actor that does the "PC Home Movie" make a comment of a digital camera made in a person's garage in the U.S.

23. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

Ditto on my MacBook Pro.

24. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

PC dude looks to be wearing a wig. Please tell me Japanese guys at least comb their hair.