Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaswitcheryeah

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Re: Re: 1.3.1 still installed??

Originally posted by bousozoku
1.4.1 and 1.3.1 are both on the machine for various reasons. You should not delete either.

There will most likely be other updates since this update does not yet put Mac OS X in sync with the rest of the Java community.

Thanks, bousozoku!

beware_phog

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2003
Still doesn't work properly at http://www.wsj.com. Is it so hard for it remember your log in AND show your personalized front page?

Safari is faster...still not compatible enough. Beta to me.

beware_phog

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2003
Still doesn't launch Real Player at http://www.mlb.com to listen to games. Need to still use IE.

I have no idea what causes IE to work over Safari....but with every update, I think that they will finally get it working correct. Aren't these basic tasks?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by beware_phog
Still doesn't launch Real Player at http://www.mlb.com to listen to games. Need to still use IE.

I have no idea what causes IE to work over Safari....but with every update, I think that they will finally get it working correct. Aren't these basic tasks?

Actually from what I understand they aren't simple tasks. If you really want it to work with that page why haven't you sent in a bug report?

The reason I say they aren't simple tasks as from what I understand something like 90% or greater of all web pages are poorly written. To get around that the web browser has to be able to almost guess at what the page should be doing and circumvent the problem. IE is the defacto standard to which most pages are written so it is better at dealing with these issues and web developers are better at writing for it. Each type of browser has it's own style to which the web developer must make their page compatible with. If you open up the debug menu in Safari there are options to make Safari emulate Netscape or IE type browsers and this can fix small incompatibilities but not always.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
aargh, this has made safari so unstable... so many crashes... so many things that won't work (actually, just espn mostly)... can someone please tell me how to revert to before this "update"??

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by beware_phog

That wouldn't be a Java problem. You can however, launch Real Player first and it should work as it has for me.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by vanmonkey
Damn, does this screenie from yahoo chess look right to you!!?

It looks as though it can't find the font. I'm surprised the games work at all. Does it happen in all browsers?

[EDIT] I tried the MahJongg Solitaire since I could do that by myself and it worked perfectly. [/EDIT]

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Just found out that the "TV guide online," the only tv guide i have btw, appears as a mangled jumble now.

Please, can anyone help me get rid of this awful java update without reinstalling jag and doing everything from scratch??

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by QCassidy352
Just found out that the "TV guide online," the only tv guide i have btw, appears as a mangled jumble now.

Please, can anyone help me get rid of this awful java update without reinstalling jag and doing everything from scratch??

Can't you go to your cable providers home page and get a tv listing? That's what I have always done with TCI, ATT, Comcast, and occasionally DirecTV. If I want a even more up to date listing I go to the homepage for the channel I want to check on. I frequent SpeedTV.com frequently to check they're schedule due to delayed races.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
yeah, I guess I can do that, but I don't really want to find work arounds for all the things that no longer work in safari. I just want safari to work again... :(

beware_phog

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by MacBandit
Actually from what I understand they aren't simple tasks. If you really want it to work with that page why haven't you sent in a bug report?

I've sent in a million bug reports. I hope someone looks at them.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Originally posted by QCassidy352

You know what, TV Guide changed the website and how the grid works. It's not you or the java update... I haven't upgraded yet... and it's a garbled mess for me too. Works in Mozilla though...

So if you haven't already re-installed jag yet, hold off. Try another browser. My friend has a PC and he said he had problems with it too.

Hmm

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2002
Yeah, the TV Guide site suddenly looks like crap and I never installed the Java update. My local cable provider's guide makes me log in and has less info on each program than TV Guide.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Hmm
Yeah, the TV Guide site suddenly looks like crap and I never installed the Java update. My local cable provider's guide makes me log in and has less info on each program than TV Guide.

That's funny. The reason I use the local cable companies guide is TV Guide requires that you register and the local cable company does not.

Even though it's free I hate registering if the information is available elsewhere without registering.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
I never had been asked to register with TV Guide. Lucky I guess. The new style isn't worth visiting. Back on topic: Any other downfalls to this update?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by j33pd0g
I never had been asked to register with TV Guide. Lucky I guess. The new style isn't worth visiting. Back on topic: Any other downfalls to this update?

Has there been any downfalls to this update at all except that it isn't completely up to date with the rest of the world yet?

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Originally posted by MacBandit
Has there been any downfalls to this update at all except that it isn't completely up to date with the rest of the world yet?

I was just wondering if I need to this java update yet. This is the version I have now:
java version "1.4.1_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-39)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-14, mixed mode)

Someone mention about how Safari is now unstable. I wasn't really interested in any of that action.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by j33pd0g
I was just wondering if I need to this java update yet. This is the version I have now:
java version "1.4.1_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01-39)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_01-14, mixed mode)

Someone mention about how Safari is now unstable. I wasn't really interested in any of that action.

I have seen absolutely no change in stability or features in anything. I use Safari as my only browser and I browse extensively often having 3-5 pages open simultaneously with more then one of them with tabs and often having 20 or more tabs in one of the windows. My recommendation to anyone have stability problems after any installation is to do the basics. Check/repair Permissions and run a disk check. A great program to run your standard repairs and to open up some basic hidden features is Cocktail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.