Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
Stella said:
Because its an update to 1.4.2, there is no Java 1.4.3, only Java 1.4.2 and soon to be coming 1.5.. although Macs won't get that until 6 months after 1.5 gets released on the various *nixes and other minor OSes....

Actually, the next version is 5.0 (not 1.5). Sun has decided to change their naming scheme, finally. It was weird calling it Java 2 version 1.4.2, etc.

Later, Frank

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
phasornc said:
Here, here. It looks like apple is trying to obsolete themselve in schools. Many university computer science programming courses use Java now, and many professors like to include Java 1.5 material. It makes sense that students today can study the platform of they'll be using when they graduate. However, if Apple waits till Tiger is released next summer for Java 1.5, I'm going to have to sell my PowerBook just so I can take the class I want to take next semester which will require on Java 1.5.

Either that or I'll have to put Debian or Mandrake on my PowerBook, which really defeats the purpose of having a powerbook. Heck can Java 1.5 even run on Linux/PPC? Anyone know?

If it is just certain library items that you need you could download the 1.5 source and try manually adding the classes you need to a specific project. It could turn out to be a really good learning experience for you. This will depend on which parts of the language you need.

Frank

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
tex210 said:
http://www.tvguide.com/listings/

click on a program for a description, and I would just get rolling arrows...
have had to use the excite guide for now... poor me. :mad:
actually, just checked, and the description loaded once but didn't update for any other shows picked...
Anyone updated willing to check?

Ummmm, that is done using Flash, not Java. And I don't have any problem with it working in Safari on my machine.

Frank

iGreg

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2004
Thumbs down!!

This update has damaged my Safari. I now get a lot more sites that require more than one attempt to load it :mad:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Marble said:
My introductory course to Java development at an institution with 40,000 enrolled students teaches using the Java 1.5 specifications. I don't know why at this level backwards-compatibility would ever be a problem anyway, but it's definitely not just a few little schools that are doing it.

Okay, so there is one big school doing it too. The department head has probably never worked in the real world and has no clue that you're going to have to re-learn many things before you start working some place outside of the school. Otherwise, you'll be singing "but it's available in" along with "we didn't learn to do work with that" with some choruses of "this place is so backward". ;)

nQuery

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2004
bousozoku said:
Okay, so there is one big school doing it too. The department head has probably never worked in the real world and has no clue that you're going to have to re-learn many things before you start working some place outside of the school. Otherwise, you'll be singing "but it's available in" along with "we didn't learn to do work with that" with some choruses of "this place is so backward". ;)

exactly. a pre-release of a new version of a programming language does not make for a learning standard. look at all of the people who still code using c. i think that some of the people on this forumn need to distinguish the difference between application software features that are missing (such as msn on the mac sucks ... ) and development language iterations that have zero impact on them ... what feature in java 1.5 is it that they need so badly??? oh yeah, right, safari won't work with that new site unless java on the mac can support primitive typed collections ... ;)

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
broken_keyboard said:
I agree. Also when these young developers get out in to the corporate world they are going to be maintaining code bases that go (in some cases I know of) all the way back to 1.1. So by all means teach 1.5 but teach the old stuff too.
We're still doing everything in 1.4.2. They'll probably switch to 1.5 next year, but while it hasn't been fully released yet, they're sticking with the current version. By the way, has anyone had any problems with IDE's after install? 1.4.2 completely messed up my NetBeans, I'm wondering if this will have any effects.

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2004
Must be having brain fade today...

..how does one "roll back" the latest version of Java to double check if it is responsible for problems I am "suddenly" having with Lotus Notes and Jbidwatcher which wasn't there yesterday...

Thanks

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Yahoo Chat Rooms

bousozoku said:
Worked fine for me with Firefox. If you give some information, maybe you might get some help.

Everytime I use Java in Yahoo Chat rooms it constantly kicks me out and the screen constantly goes in and out of the chat rooms. It never stays in a chat room just gives an error message: "Yahoo Chat has been disconnected would you like to reconnect? YES or NO" - this message runs over and over.

This is a major problem that has been noted on MANY Forums - Most MAC users HAVE to use a third party program to use Yahoo Chat.

I was hoping that this released fixed it and it still does the same thing.

Yes - In my Safari Preferences - Java is all checked ON.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
TranceClubMusic said:
Everytime I use Java in Yahoo Chat rooms it constantly kicks me out and the screen constantly goes in and out of the chat rooms. It never stays in a chat room just gives an error message: "Yahoo Chat has been disconnected would you like to reconnect? YES or NO" - this message runs over and over.

This is a major problem that has been noted on MANY Forums - Most MAC users HAVE to use a third party program to use Yahoo Chat.

I was hoping that this released fixed it and it still does the same thing.

Yes - In my Safari Preferences - Java is all checked ON.

I just tried Safari and Firefox and the Yahoo! Messenger application on my other system which does not have the Java update and I see the nasty behaviour the Safari gives you. It's somewhat better behaved on the upgraded system but does not work past the first 10 seconds giving a "General Chat Error" message before the reconnect message.

I'll have to try the old machine again once I've updated it.

Did you try Firefox or Mozilla or Camino? You may need a 3rd party plug-in but one of those should work, along with Update 2.

ccuilla

Cancelled
Dec 19, 2003
wrldwzrd89 said:
I agree. Nobody in their right mind would require a pre-release of Java 1.5 to do work (schools included). Even after Java 1.5 leaves pre-release status and enters full release, it makes sense to wait until the new version is established and available for platforms other than Windows before making it mainstream.

This is exactly correct. Most real-world systems won't be updating to Java 1.5 (or whatever it is called) for AT LEAST 6 months after FINAL release. And even that is rather optimistic. Twelve months is a more likely minimum.

Fact is, real people running real systems are NOT on the bleeding edge most of the time for one simple reason...stability. A second valid reason is that the new version rarely offers so much more that is compelling without re-writing large chunks of code anyway, that it is not economically worth it.

basehart

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2002
nQuery said:
I work in a java development environment all day long and also use some heavy applets that are much speedier and useable under this update (using safari). i had one java applet messaging client that crashed with update 1 (and didn't work at all with 1.4.2 vanilla) ... it works like a charm now.

so far so good ...

I used to have to use my PC to check out the progress of my bus using bus view http://transit.metrokc.gov/oltools/busview.html because it would either not open at all, or even if it did would be all messed up, but now it fires up quicker than on my PC.

One less reason to use my PC is a good thing!

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I have been having problems with my computer waking up from sleep mode. I've repaired permissions and my system has been acting pretty strange after the last two updates.

Anyone else experiencing these problems?

fatbarstard

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2003
New Zealand
Java fix....

Kasel... are you running the latest update 10.3.5?? I had loads of wake up problems on my PB17" before 10.3.5 but now it works like a charm...

Cancelled
Jan 13, 2004
After reverting

to the previous version (i.e. pre update) everything worked again in Jbidwatcher and Lotus Notes. So unsure what the problem is!!

cait-sith

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
canada
schools

i won't have to worry about it at my university. nearly all the cs faculty are mac users.

what are we are going to be teaching first year kids??? IIRC, my 100 level courses were learning the OO basics, not concentrating on data abstraction classes and such.. why does it matter if they use 1.5 or 1.4.2?

once we got to the 300 level, most courses stopped using java and went to c and c++..

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
fatbarstard said:
Kasel... are you running the latest update 10.3.5?? I had loads of wake up problems on my PB17" before 10.3.5 but now it works like a charm...

Yes as a matter of fact I am. I keep my system up-to-date. Everything worked like a charm before this last update.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Yay

When using the Java applets for playing loops of the NOAA (weather/hurricane) satellite images, they work great now. Previously they would hang Safari (requiring a force-quit). It's not perfect yet, but to my eyes Java on the Mac (specifically applets) is steadily improving. There are very few sites I go to that don't work anymore.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
HiRez said:
When using the Java applets for playing loops of the NOAA (weather/hurricane) satellite images, they work great now. Previously they would hang Safari (requiring a force-quit). It's not perfect yet, but to my eyes Java on the Mac (specifically applets) is steadily improving. There are very few sites I go to that don't work anymore.
Remember that things like this (ports of an existing application/development platform/etc. by a company other than the creator) always have two parts:
1. Bugs in the original codebase (these get fixed by the original creators, and the changes get handed down to the porters).
2. Bugs specific to the port (these get fixed by the porters, and the changes don't get handed off to anyone since they don't affect anyone else).

Remember that the cause of your problem could be #1, #2 or both #1 and #2. #1 problems Apple can't do much about, but #2 problems Apple can fix fairly easily once their testers identify the cause.

phasornc

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2003
Originally Posted by Marble
My introductory course to Java development at an institution with 40,000 enrolled students teaches using the Java 1.5 specifications. I don't know why at this level backwards-compatibility would ever be a problem anyway, but it's definitely not just a few little schools that are doing it.

Okay, so there is one big school doing it too. The department head has probably never worked in the real world and has no clue that you're going to have to re-learn many things before you start working some place outside of the school. Otherwise, you'll be singing "but it's available in" along with "we didn't learn to do work with that" with some choruses of "this place is so backward".

Well I guess you can add 2 big schools to this, as I will also be using Java 1.5 next semester. I guess the thing you "professional programmers" don't realize is that we students in intro programming courses are generally not graduating this year. Most students taking intro programming now will not be in the "real world" (except for internships) for another 2 or 3 years. If we follow your logic completely then we should all be learning Fortran since some legacy programs are out there. My professor's general outlook is that the class is Intro to Object-Oriented Programming and Java just happens to be the best cross-platform language to teach it. In addition, he thinks that 1.5 adds some features that are useful to the concept of object-oriented programming, and will teach those in the second semester. Does that sound "crazy"? I don't think so. I'm sure Java 1.5 will be well established when I graduate . . . in 2006.

If you still think using Java 1.5 is stupid, then you must also think Apple is stupid since they release the Java 1.5 pre-release to developers. I just wish they would legal make it available for other. In addition the requirement of having to use Apple Tiger, to run Sun Tiger (Java 1.5 code name), just makes it more complicated to use a Mac since you need to somehow get the developer edition of Tiger (become a criminal and use BitTorrent) and then you need to make your system dual-bootable unless your crazy enough to use Tiger preview for all your work.

In the windows world you can have multiple Java versions installed and your IDE can choose which one to use, why can't Apple allow these choices. Is it really a technical hurdle or an attempt to get more money out of end users.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
phasornc said:
Well I guess you can add 2 big schools to this, as I will also be using Java 1.5 next semester. I guess the thing you "professional programmers" don't realize is that we students in intro programming courses are generally not graduating this year. Most students taking intro programming now will not be in the "real world" (except for internships) for another 2 or 3 years. If we follow your logic completely then we should all be learning Fortran since some legacy programs are out there. My professor's general outlook is that the class is Intro to Object-Oriented Programming and Java just happens to be the best cross-platform language to teach it. In addition, he thinks that 1.5 adds some features that are useful to the concept of object-oriented programming, and will teach those in the second semester. Does that sound "crazy"? I don't think so. I'm sure Java 1.5 will be well established when I graduate . . . in 2006.

If you still think using Java 1.5 is stupid, then you must also think Apple is stupid since they release the Java 1.5 pre-release to developers. I just wish they would legal make it available for other. In addition the requirement of having to use Apple Tiger, to run Sun Tiger (Java 1.5 code name), just makes it more complicated to use a Mac since you need to somehow get the developer edition of Tiger (become a criminal and use BitTorrent) and then you need to make your system dual-bootable unless your crazy enough to use Tiger preview for all your work.

In the windows world you can have multiple Java versions installed and your IDE can choose which one to use, why can't Apple allow these choices. Is it really a technical hurdle or an attempt to get more money out of end users.

You're missing the details but suffice it to say that it is careless to attempt to use pre-release software on students. If you don't know what the outcome is going to be, how can you know if it's right or not?

For Apple to release software prior to general release for testing purposes is not stupid. It helps Apple and, possibly the development community, work out problems. I can't imagine the majority of developers being so careless as to base a product on a pre-release version of anything, no matter how wonderful it is. (How long did we use MetroWerks CodeWarrior before it became something other than a developer release? 3 years, maybe?)

Yes, I believe that FORTRAN (not Fortran) 77 has a lot to teach you and yes, there are a lot of scientific applications still out there. You should also be learning COBOL 85, C 99, PL/I, Ada 95, and Modula-2 for a good background in procedural languages and efficiency. Computer Science students should probably also study LISP and Prolog to learn simple AI.

If your instructor is so concerned about object-oriented principles, he should be teaching Smalltalk, not Java, since Java is still a hybrid language, though more pure than C++. Java is a nice language and I currently do 100 percent of my coding using it but it is not a panacea.

reorx

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2004
San Antonio
bousozoku said:
Yes, I believe that FORTRAN (not Fortran) 77 has a lot to teach you and yes, there are a lot of scientific applications still out there. You should also be learning COBOL 85, C 99, PL/I, Ada 95, and Modula-2 for a good background in procedural languages and efficiency. Computer Science students should probably also study LISP and Prolog to learn simple AI.

If your instructor is so concerned about object-oriented principles, he should be teaching Smalltalk, not Java, since Java is still a hybrid language, though more pure than C++. Java is a nice language and I currently do 100 percent of my coding using it but it is not a panacea.

Excellent points... I think a well rounded student should study many different languages... That way, they can get used to solving problems, not solving problems in Java -- there is a difference. Plus, all the world is not OO, and neither is OO the best solution for all problem spaces. You'd be impressed how fast compiled COBOL runs on the mainframe. I'd really hate to see our university CS departments churning out "coders", because you might well have gone to a trade school and saved yourself a ton of money.

Knowing how to write software using the Java 1.5.x SDK is worthless if you can't write sofware in Java. Or C++. Or COBOL. Does that make sense to you college kids? :)

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003
phasornc said:

It doesn't make one iota of difference which language you learn to program with. It is the principles involved in writing clean, effective software that are important. If your teacher is focusing on features specific to 1.5 to teach you OO then he probably isn't really doing a good job of teaching you OO.

All I can say is, come back and chat with us when you finish that degree. Personally I don't put a lot of stock in the opinions (on CS matters) from people that haven't even taken the introductory courses. The school I graduated from consistently has the same number of students enrolled as pre-CS (this means they haven't completed intro to programming with a C or better) as they do CS (the remaining 3.5 semesters). And those that actually graduate are a much smaller percentage.

If you do become a good computer scientist then it will not matter if you know the latest and greatest. Any computer scientist worth their weight in salt can learn new languages and/or language elements very quickly because they already understand the underlying concepts of how things work.

Finally, I do have multiple versions of Java on my system.

Frank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.