Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
What kind of annoys me is every time I give someone a check, They get my name, address, and bank account number.

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
No, that was for Shortest Smug Git Who Is Also A Scientologist.

He is, I'll have you know, the #2 in the Scientology cult nowadays; according to a new biography, anyway.
Bet that's a good ice breaker:

Did you know...

Edit: I should have read further above, shouldn't I! Thanks OllyW!
Evidently I presume too much.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
What kind of annoys me is every time I give someone a check, They get my name, address, and bank account number.

i haven't written a cheque for years. it would take me a while to find the chequebook. but if i did i'm glad my address isn't on my cheques.

clarkson is funny but he really doesn't know much about the subjects the talks about (except cars).

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
It could have been worse for Clarkson – the money could have been sent to Greenpeace or some other environmental organisation rather than Diabetes UK.

Now, that would have really upset him. :p

Ooh...too right! :D

He may be an oaf, but at least he's an entertaining oaf.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I cannot even begin to communicate my utter loathing for Jeremy Clarkson and his legion of admirers who think the sun shines out of his arse... so I won't. ;)

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Indeed I was. Whoops!

Easy mistake to make. One of the churches is often attacked as being a sinister way to control the masses and con the public on an almighty scale. And the other is the Church of Scientology.

*Ducks following poor, generic religion joke*

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
That person is a thief, even if the money went to charity.

I disagree; Clarkson (who is a celebrity and can be assumed to have a considerable amount of money) essentially challenged someone to steal from him. The fact that the guy took only a paltry sum and gave it to a charity shows that the guy wasn't a jerk but was proving a point.

It's about the equivalent of someone shouting "It's impossible for someone to steal money out of my wallet! Look! It's in my back pocket! I dare you to take it!" and then someone steals the wallet, takes a dollar out, gives it to a homeless person and puts the wallet back and shows the missing dollar.

If the guy had taken a significant amount, or had kept the money to himself, or if Jeremy had been an innocent victim getting money stolen from him, I'd feel differently. But Jeremy clearly asked for it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Good ol' Clarkson. The rest of my evening involves snuggling up in bed and watching last years Polar Special, finally converted it from my EyeTV :)

As for this whole situation - I think it's golden! Of course he won't take the money back from a charity.

*watching the fabled Alabama clip. I've heard big things about this! Lets see what it was all about...*

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
I read this article, but I still don't understand your British system. How can someone else setup a direct debit on my account, without my authorisation (either written, or online)?

And how can someone else obtain my account number from a cheque? Does a cheque have the account number written on it? That is not the case here.

If my account number can be obtained from a cheque, then anyone whom I pay by cheque can setup a direct debit on my account without my knowledge or permission and clean me up. :eek:

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
It really sums up just how ignorant that man is. Almost all of his viewpoints that he chooses to make public are just ridiculous.

I loathe the man and don't find him even slightly entertaining/amusing/intelligent. All the more reason why he should refrain from expressing his opinion in public!

So what? Maybe I think your personal opinion is absolutely ridiculous and therefore you shouldn't tell anyone.

Nobody state their opinion, because you might disagree with someone else.
:rolleyes:

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I read this article, but I still don't understand your British system. How can someone else setup a direct debit on my account, without my authorisation (either written, or online)?

And how can someone else obtain my account number from a cheque? Does a cheque have the account number written on it? That is not the case here.

If my account number can be obtained from a cheque, then anyone whom I pay by cheque can setup a direct debit on my account without my knowledge or permission and clean me up. :eek:

Yes, cheques in the UK have the account number and sort code printed on them. To set-up a direct debit, you don't always need to sign things. For example, a magazine subscription over the phone doesn't require getting a signature.

So what? Maybe I think your personal opinion is absolutely ridiculous and therefore you shouldn't tell anyone.

Thats your prerogative. But that would also be ridiculous as I don't tend to express my opinion about many important issues in a newspaper column, therefore you have no idea what they are.

Nobody state their opinion, because you might disagree with someone else.
:rolleyes:

Easy boy, I'm not the only one in this thread who has completely no respect for the man. I am however entitled to my opinion, just like you are.

David

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I can sum this up:

http://upc.*************/uploads/macros/nelson-haha.jpg

:D

I like Clarkson but that was pretty daft. He's lucky it was only £500 direct debit to a charity. I'm curious if he'll keep the donation going or cancel it.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Say what you will about Jezza, hell, I don't like a lot of people... Almost all of them are in the 'public eye'. It points out some rather serious flaws, mainly in our government.

I do however adore how much people hate the man for expressing his personal opinions, and even more so how people listen to them, read his newspaper articles and then complain. Ace.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Say what you will about Jezza, hell, I don't like a lot of people... Almost all of them are in the 'public eye'. It points out some rather serious flaws, mainly in our government.

I do however adore how much people hate the man for expressing his personal opinions, and even more so how people listen to them, read his newspaper articles and then complain. Ace.
Here here :D

Let's form a Clarkson fanboy club ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.