Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

limey91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Did anyone go a year case less with a jet black iPhone over the last year. I’d be interested to see how it held up and if the micro abrasions annoyed you or just added to the aging of the device? I just picked up a 7 plus yesterday (went from a silver 7) as I couldn’t justify the price hike for the 8 when all I use my phone for is Facebook / YouTube etc. It’s great having the bigger screen and duel cameras.

I have put it straight in an apple leather case but it just feels so good in the hand naked. Any pictures would be really appreciated too. Thanks in advanced.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I have a case on my 7, so cant offer much insight - sorry.
Still looks perfect when i take it out of the silicone.

rattler

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
I've had it caseless for about a year now and it hasn't held up that great. I don't baby it but I don't put it down on rough surfaces either and it has lost a lot of its luster

Attachments

• IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 417

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2015
USA
My Jet Black 7 Plus actually was fine...until I went to the states and my screen protector broke and the guy at Verizon scratched the bottom of the back but other than that it’s actually still in great condition. I’ve had a clear skin for it but it was peeling and I already had the white Apple case so after I peeled the skin off I put on the case. And take it off when I’m at home. And usually put the phone screen side down on the screen protector. The plastic antenna bands look like they have more scratches than anything unless it’s just me not seeing right

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've had it caseless for about a year now and it hasn't held up that great. I don't baby it but I don't put it down on rough surfaces either and it has lost a lot of its luster

Excellent photo showing the true nature of the Jet Black scratches that can occur. And this is exactly why I avoided that model. I really do like the look of the color and I knew was going to be popular. But I'm somebody that would like to avoid scratches all together if possible, and the Jet black model certainly was not going to be for me knowingly how easily it could scratch. I have been impressed with the 7000 series aluminum used on the iPhones, I still don't have any scratches to date on mine.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Had mine in an apple silicone case since our the box. The only insight I can provide is when in a case. Dust and dirt wasn’t a factor over time. Still looks day one new when I take it out of the case.

BobZune

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
USA
I never put a case on my phones, and the jetblack 7+ is holding up well (mine may be slightly better than the picture in post #3 by rattler - I have the small abrasions, but not the long ones). I don't baby my phone nor abuse it (it is just a phone!). The micro-abrasions are visible only in certain lighting conditions. If you are the type to look for those and worry, you wouldn't be happy. I like my used phone look somewhat used (though not abused), so it doesn't bother me at all.

Baseball Mike

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Seattle, WA

Yep this is what mine looks like as well, might even be worse. No case for the last year. I don't care, it's just a phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.