Jet Black owners - Do you regret getting Jet Black?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arcontia, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Arcontia macrumors regular

I heard some of my friends say they do.

Sometimes I wonder if the 'timeless' look of the Matte Black is nicer, until I see demo models at the store and you see the lightning port all scuffed off (so it's white) and then I'm glad I got jet black :) you have to also remember one of the "cons" of the 7 was reusing the 6/6s design, well, to be fair, for me, Jet Black almost makes the phone feel like a new design - and using Apples leather case, you can see the bottom of the phone is JB. Meanwhile, I can't help but feel while Matte Black is a nice colour, it also reminds me too much of the old space grey.

I've had my phone for four months, and still (almost) no thin scratches or microabrasions at all.

2. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

I bought my Jet Black with scratches (because it was cheaper second hand) and it has been the iPhone design I love the most since my white 4S (also had 5, 6 (Plus) and 6S Pus).

The fact that it already had scratches turned out to be very convenient because normally I would keep the iPhone in mint condition for at least a year before I finally take off the case and screen protector. Now I just use this relatively new iPhone caseless, only putting on a case when I travel in fear of dropping it and breaking the glass.

It sounds weird, I know, but I can enjoy the design of the iPhone much more than I would've if I bought it new. It feels extremely nice in the hand like a seamless piece of glass (hey, isn't that what the rumored iPhone 8 is supposed to be?), nothing like the slippery anodized aluminum iPhones. Hard to ever go back really.

3. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

I have the matte black , I bought 8 months ago and it has been in a case. Every now n then I remove the case to give it a good wipe from dust n debris. It is as good as new, no chipping, just flawless. I use the clear hard plastic cover, so the truth matte black color is clearly visible. I love this color compare the others. It's truly a male's color. I like it much better than my space grey 5S.
    Use a clear hard plastic cover and it will give your phone the protection it needed yet still show the beauty of the color you'd picked.

4. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

[QUOTE="chilman, post: 24699889, member: 526525"
    Use a clear hard plastic cover and it will give your phone the protection it needed yet still show the beauty of the color you'd picked.[/QUOTE]
    Agree with the above comment.

5. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Don't regret it at all

I love my JB 7+/....still I got it 2 weeks from launch - it has been in a Q case. Every week I wipe it down with a microfiber cloth. No scratches or flaws on it

Tomorrow T-Mobile will pay it off - so it ended up costing me about $330 for the 256gb

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

No regrets here either. I've always kept my phones in cases. Now I just use a clear case. Love the jet black.

7. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Don't those clear plastic cases look and feel terribly cheap? Maybe it still shows the back of the phone, but I don't really think it's an improvement. At least the leather case compliments the design a bit, feels good and can have a nice color.

I think my scratched naked phone looks better than a pristine phone in a clear case.

8. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

The only thing I regret was that Product Red iPhone was not released on the same time as other colors were. Red iPhone is the most gorgeous color ever introduced. Jet black is okay, just shinny black like shinny black car. While owning the red iPhone is like owning red car. Red is eye catching and attention getter while jet black is like a regular black phone, nothing spectacular or eye catching.

My jet black phone now is my back up phone and my red one is my primary one. Red is so gorgeous and sexy!!

9. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

Had my Jet Black since launch and its ceaseless. Few micro scratches only but you can't see unless under direct light. It's stunning and goes well with my SSSB AW Link.

10. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Nope. It's gorgeous and has very little wear and tear. I baby the hell out of it, but then I baby all of my iPhones. I'd definitely buy another Jet Black, if I stay with iPhone models that offer the color. Tech 21 case for the back and a micro fiber cloth to clean the screen.

11. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

you do realize that the ones on display people can do whatever they want with that includes digging into the coating on purpose. Ive had my matte black since day one. Plugging it in day after day in the dark and not getting the lighting port spot on every time. The phone is flawless. I really don't see how you can get scratches unless you are deliberately digging the lighting port into the phone with a lot of force which doesn't happen in real world situations. Ive been caseless since day one also and the phone is in perfect condition.

12. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

13. Dave245 macrumors 603

No regrets at all, I love the jet black colour.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

No regrets I still like it and even with never putting it in a case the scratches aren't as bad as you would expect.

15. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I've not had a case on mine since January because I wanted to appreciate it fully. It feels so amazing in the hand.

And surprisingly it has held up perfectly. If I was to rate it like a report card I'd give it an A in appearance (with A+ being mint from the box).

I would not hesitate to buy Jet Black again, my fears about it scratching really badly were unfounded, yes it does scratch (micro abrasions) but they are not visible under normal use, only when you shine a torch at it from close range. More importantly they don't show through silver, it keeps its perfect black colour and it still feels perfect in the hand, you cannot "feel" any of the scratches with your fingers they really are "micro".

I love the colour!

16. macTW Suspended

Yes.

But also because of the phone size. Switched to product red and 7 plus. Love both so much. I'd put red as my preferred, matte as second and jet as third over the gold and silver (4 and 5).

17. Stlcheer macrumors 6502

No regrets at all. I've been carrying it caseless lately so I can enjoy the color.

18. CYKBC macrumors 6502

Yes. Grease magnet. Doesn't age well. I never use a case on my phones and never will. Satin black is next buy.

19. iApple_man macrumors regular

iApple_man

Got my Jet Black 1 month ago and I love it. It actually seems like u have a different iPhone meaning it's different and it has that premium look and I love the grippy feel. In a case, I use Spigen's jet black slim tough armor and Ultra Hybrid 2, black. May get a white silicone case next. I normally do the leather Apple cases.

I think all iPhones should switch to jet colors. The red would've been another good one if it was jet red. Just looks better having the iPhone as ☝solid color.

20. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

21. Ernst Krenek macrumors newbie

Ernst Krenek

The same here.

22. phobos512 macrumors regular

phobos512

The back of my launch JB 7+ is scratched all to hell and it's been in a leather or silicone case from the moment it was out of the box. I don't understand it; I've never picked up a single scratch on any other iPhone I've ever owned. Assuming the 8 does come out essentially bezelless I will probably get a color or whatever's most available, since the only reason I've gotten the black phones to date has been to have an all-black face.

23. CPx macrumors 6502

24. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Love my Jet Black! I only put a cover on her when going out somewhere but at home she is naked so that I can continue to admire the beauty of that glossy piano black back.....

No regrets whatsoever!