Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
No new Apple TV, nothing about Mac Mini but we get Dr Dre. Way to go Tim!

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Excited for this. Iovine as music liaison between Cupertino and the record companies makes a ton of sense. Signed up for Beast Music over the weekend taking advantage of AT&T's 90-day free trial and the app is beautifully designed (especially on iPad) and makes using iTunes seem so 2008 for music consumption.

Note: To the dimwit racist posters both overt and subliminal - Beats Music is not hip-hop only. All genres presented in a beautiful way.

Last edited:

grumple

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2013
No new Apple TV, nothing about Mac Mini but we get Dr Dre. Way to go Tim!

I'm assuming you are being sarcastic. If you can't see how the deal will help get Apple TV service off the ground (hint:licensing deals) then I just feel sorry for you and your ilk.

saschke

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I don't understand the elitist behavior of people chiming in. Maybe Beats' headphones are overpriced for the tech and count on strange integrated processing to make music 'thicker'... However, the Beats Music subscription service is the best I've tried yet. I've used Spotify, rdio, Google Play and Qobuz for prolonged periods of time. The curation feature alone seems to be giving it a leg up even after only three days.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
I don't get the constant overly dramatic complaints over this deal.

You don't get it? Really? Let me help you out with this people are sick and tired of terrible rap or hip hop music that have come out for the last few years even with the Pop scene. Rap or Hip Hop back in the in day was great because it had poetry and a story todays Rap scene is just about hoes and money not about originality and with Apple attaching themselves with beats a lot of us do not want more mainstream music especially through iTunes Radio which already plagues under some genres like electronic music.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
This is a done deal then. Iovine is really a visioner for the music industry.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
You don't get it? Really? Let me help you out with this people are sick and tired of terrible rap or hip hop music that have come out for the last few years even with the Pop scene. Rap or Hip Hop back in the in day was great because it had poetry and a story todays Rap scene is just about hoes and money not about originality and with Apple attaching themselves with beats a lot of us do not want more mainstream music especially through iTunes Radio which already plagues under some genres like electronic music.

If you grew up with Hip Hop like I did the key is to support the "real" artists that are working harder for less. Just bough Vinny Paz's latest album and will grab more.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Anti Hip-Hop people I suppose.

I love hip-hop but I dislike Beats for selling headphones with subpar quality for the price. People have a problem with the headphones, not hip-hop. I haven't tried their music subscription service but it sounds like it is actually pretty good.

Regardless, I think this deal will be good for them. It shocked me at first, but I can see the benefits of the deal now. It will probably help Apple TV and iTunes Radio.

Last edited:

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
If you grew up with Hip Hop like I did the key is to support the "real" artists that are working harder for less. Just bough Vinny Paz's latest album and will grab more.

I like old skool hip hop or rap music even underground stuff like Schoolboy Q or Kendrick Lamar are fine I hate anything on FM radio dials or on MTV (whenever they play music videos, yeah I know).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm assuming you are being sarcastic. If you can't see how the deal will help get Apple TV service off the ground (hint:licensing deals) then I just feel sorry for you and your ilk.

What does Jimmy Iovine have to do with TV content?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
You know I have to agree with some of the commentators that i've listened to about Beats and their point that before Beats made over the ear headphones popular again the headphone market was in poor shape.

I can remember when thin and small headphones that invariably sounded like crap were the popular thing. In fact if you went walking down the street with big old headphones on people looked at you funny.

Now everyone wants to deliver some nice cans. I'm thinking about grabbing some House of Marley cans pretty soon. The market would exist but would be different without Beats. I'll give them credit where it's due.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

Sorry....I had no idea Beats doubled as a hip hop act. Thought it was just hardware and a streaming service.

Limboistik

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
Where is Ian Rogers in all of this? The CEO of Beats? Is he getting screwed over here or what?

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Give them a chance. If they do become execs, I'm sure they'll even beat John Brownett's record time to retirement from apple. ;)

In all honesty, I'm not creative enough to see these two guys adding much value to apple. I'm hoping there is more to this setup than meets the (albeit untrained) eye at the moment.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I don't get the constant overly dramatic complaints over this deal.

Most people are only familiar with Beats as a headphone brand. And Beats headphones are often regarded as overly priced junk with no value to the consumer other than being attached to its marketing. Many Apple fans do not want to be associated with that.

Beats was valued at about $1 billion in late 2013. It is hard to see how they tripled their worth in the last 8 months or so. I bet stockholders are concerned that Apple is possibly overpaying by an enormous amount.

The Beats streaming service is often touted as the main reason for the acquisition. But it's not like Apple is buying a seasoned, successful company. Beats subscription service is relatively new and has only 200,000 subscribers. One wonders how much Apple paid per subscriber and how much it can expect to get out of that. The idea, of course, will be to grow the service. But that's a multi-billion dollar gamble.

One big problem Apple has is that the music industry doesn't like how much power Apple managed to get over them by becoming the defacto source for buying music and music devices. The industry has been very reluctant to grant Apple rights to stream music for fear of the same thing happening to streaming. Some have theorized that the "real" reason Apple is acquiring Beats is to get Jimmy Iovine's industry connections and/or all of the music streaming rights. But this makes no sense for two main reasons: 1) Beats and Jimmy will just be seen as a front for Apple. 2) Contracts for rights typically end upon acquisition, or if they don't in this case, they'll typically expire yearly anyway.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking, based on what little I know. I don't think my concerns are completely unreasonable. Of course the executives at Apple are much more business savvy than I am, and they have access to information that we don't have. I have also liked their acquisitions in the past, so I trust them somewhat. Nevertheless I remain very skeptical about this one, especially the price paid for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.