Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Jobs Health Concerns Related to Food Absorption, Not Cancer?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The New York Times reports that the health issues that have resulted in Steve Jobs taking a medical leave of absence from his role as Apple's CEO stem from a problem with food absorption and not from a recurrence of cancer.

Two people who are familiar with Mr. Jobs’s current medical treatment said he was not suffering from a recurrence of cancer, but a condition that was preventing his body from absorbing food. Doctors have also advised him to cut down on stress, which may be making the problem worse, these people said.
Jobs underwent surgery for a rare form of pancreatic cancer in 2004, and he claimed as recently as July 2008 that he remained cancer-free. Concerns about Jobs' health were revived in mid-December when Apple announced that he would not present at Macworld Expo in San Francisco in early January, but he officially announced on the eve of Macworld that his health concerns were due to a "hormone imbalance".

After hours trading in Apple's stock was temporarily halted as the news was being released, and the share price temporarily dropped 10-12% upon resumption of trading before settling at an approximately 7% decline from the close of regular trading earlier in the day.

Article Link: Jobs Health Concerns Related to Food Absorption, Not Cancer?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well that's good news that it's not cancer again. but i hope that they can figure out what exactly is causing the problem and can get him heathly again.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hmm... I don't know of any food absorption problems that make you leave your job for 5 months.

food absorbtion issues can obviously cause serious health problems. leaving your job being one of the milder consequences.

arn

Comment

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
Oh, so you're his doctor?

No. But what problem makes a doctor tells you, "Well this problem will last exactly 5 months" besides a very common disease like cancer? With cancer doctors can predict how long treatment will take.

That's just my opinion. And it doesn't really matter much - when it comes down to it, he's sick.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
No. But what problem makes a doctor tells you, "Well this problem will last exactly 5 months" besides a very common disease like cancer? With cancer doctors can predict how long treatment will take.

That's just my opinion.

This doesn't really mean much. Doctors could tell you to take time off for various reasons and various time frames depending on the severity of the issue. I won't speculate as to jobs' specific illness, and it certainly may be very serious... but your reasoning (that there's a timeframe, therefore it must be cancer) is flawed.

(and I am a physician)
arn

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

That's just my opinion.
I doubt his doctor said the problem is going to last "exactly 5 months".

Edit: What arn said.

Comment

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
While I think the whole "keeping him in my prayers" thing is a bunch of hooey (after all, didnt "god" put him in the situation in the first place) I really hope for his sake and **** it, lets be selfish here, my sake as a lover of Apple products, that Steve gets well soon.

Comment

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
If your body can not extract enough nutrition/goodness (highly scientific term there) from food, could that be fatal? It sure sounds like it could.

Comment

funnyent

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
its great to hear its not cancer!!!! Get well soon steve!! 

Comment

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
seriously...this whole situation is getting way out of control.

Here are my thoughts:

Steve would have preferred that none of this happened this way.
1) say no more macworlds because it is a business decision....failed
2) write a letter saying you think you know the problem and solution....failed
3) now this letter today....

everyone says steve wants everything a certain way...did he think people would just accept what apple would say and continue on their day?

The media...blogs...are having a ball with this....steve is died in 2 weeks...apple will get their butts sued tomorrow...etc...its crazy...

The company needs a few months to just see what happens...tim cook will do what he normally does....

hopefully steve can come back...and do some iphone-related annoucement in July...

Comment

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
And further...

... for those who have done the math and "know" that no one survives his type of cancer for longer then 5 years... An associate of mine had a very rare form of cancer that no one survived more then a few months. Eight years later he is going strong.

It is so none of our business to pry and prey on his medical condition... one would think that HIPPA laws did not apply to him.

Move alone nothing here to see.. move along.

Comment

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This doesn't really mean much. Doctors could tell you to take time off for various reasons and various time frames depending on the severity of the issue. I won't speculate as to jobs' specific illness, and it certainly may be very serious... but your reasoning (that there's a timeframe, therefore it must be cancer) is flawed.

(and I am a physician)
arn
Arn, is there anything you DONT do?:p

Glad to hear its not cancer. Yes, I beleive its not cancer because I don't jump to baseless assumptions.

Comment

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Five months sounds about right to allow them to not only treat the issues once they pinpoint the cause, but to allow him to have some stress reduction in his life. If he know he was returning in two months don't you think he would stay in tune with EVERYTHING and probably not stop thinking about the great new products Apple is coming out with. A VERY large part of healing is stress reduction when stress levels are high.

Wish you the best Steve- and can't wait to see your mock necks fitting better in the future!!!

Comment

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Hope this helps him! As a medical student, AAPL shareholder, and Apple enthusiast, I'd rather see him happy and healthy than have the latest iPod or iMac.

So here's to a speedy recovery!

Comment

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
Uh, yeah? Weight loss? It's obvious.

Let's stop fooling ourselves, everybody. Eidorian is right.

Nevermind that months of denying that he's known exactly what's wrong with him — knowing that it would affect Apple's stock price if the truth came out — would be considered stock manipulation and he could face jailtime for it... WE KNOW THE TRUTH.

Steve is bulimic.

:rolleyes:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.