Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viniciusc

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
i didn't get it right. Does that mean we'll have a new version of OS X every 12-18 months or that Leopard will last a decade with plenty of minor upgrades (10.5.*)?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Is there any info on when new Macs will come with Leopard pre-installed?

They never really disclosed that in past changes. Basically, beginning with store purchases on 10/26 or orders placed on that day, you'll get Leopard. If your order online is CTO, you will probably get it pre-installed, even if you order it on 10/26. Otherwise, it'll be a few days while stock is depleted.

juxtaposer

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
In A Field
Very pleased with this announcement. As long as the quality of the updates remains at the current high standard I'm more than happy. A new version of OS X every 18 months? Nice. :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
OSX is a Unix derived system. Even if apple want to dwell on its current incarnation for a decade. Linux will not stop, and if apple won't follow up (which apparently is true as of now), it won't be happy for apple.

who said that they were stopping development? he only said that leopard gives them a good ground for schedule pacing and development.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
Just an observation, but 2010 isn't all that far away. It is only 26 months away. Tiger was released April 29th, 2005 and Leopard will be released October 26th 2007. If my math is correct, then that is 30 months between OS upgrades. Which in my opinion isn't that bad.

I know no one is forcing me to upgrade my OS every-time a new one is released, but it is tempting. And I don't want to upgrade every year, it gets expensive.

If Apple did release a new OS in January of 2010 then it would be less time then what we waited from Tiger to Leopard.

Just a thought.

w0ngbr4d

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Findlay, OH
If the rumors of no PPC support in 10.6 are true, there will be a lot of p****d off G4 and G5 owners in 12-18 months time.

I'd like to keep my G5 another 2 years at the minimum. 4 year useful life isn't too bad in the computer world.

Sadly, I'm thinking Virtual PC 7 won't be compatible with Leopard. While I can use my girlfriends Macbook/Parallels in the mean time, I might end up buying a new iMac.

We'll find out Friday. ::fingers crossed::

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Just an observation, but 2010 isn't all that far away. It is only 26 months away. Tiger was released April 29th, 2005 and Leopard will be released October 26th 2007. If my math is correct, then that is 30 months between OS upgrades. Which in my opinion isn't that bad.

We all must consider the Intel Transition occurred in between 2005-2006.

They had to make a version of Tiger for Intel Machines (Yes they already did but they needed to make it stable and ready for the public).

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Sounds good to me, as long as this doesn't mean we'll be waiting a decade for 10.6. 12-18 months sounds good :)

No, he said 'anchor', which means like OS9, people will be using it on their systems for upwards for a decade, and refuse to switch to the newer versions :p

Is there a link to the NY Times article?
click on the "article link", the NYTime link is on that page.

Personally, I would push 10.6 back to around 20-24 months and take the time to fix the few things that OSX does not well. How about sending some software engineers to help get the third party drivers up to snuff with the windows drivers. Apple is great with the spectacular, but they have a tendency to get bored and slack off when it comes to the more mundane tasks. Spaces is going to be a great tool, but I would also like the scanner on my AIO to work right.

here, here; I hope they get the little things, that are a real PITA done sooner rather than later.

Why do i have a feeling 10.6 is coming in 2010 and it's going to be another major release.

I'll take bets it takes longer, say 2012.

OSX is a Unix derived system. Even if apple want to dwell on its current incarnation for a decade. Linux will not stop, and if apple won't follow up (which apparently is true as of now), it won't be happy for apple.

Not really in competition with Linux, so 2012 for 10.6

how come there is no link to the interview?

It will be fixed soon enough I predict :D

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
“I’m quite pleased with the pace of new operating systems every 12 to 18 months for the foreseeable future,” he said. “We’ve put out major releases on the average of one a year, and it’s given us the ability to polish and polish and improve and improve.”

Uh.. what? That was the pace back in 2002-2005. The Tiger-Leopard transition took 30 months. What is he talking about?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
18 Months sounds OK, I guess. I don't really care. Every 12 months or so is kinda too frequent b/c then we'd have to pay $129 every time. Plus, the extra 6 or however many months would let Apple create more & better features, plus better stability.

I'm not totally sure if/what Apple's going to drop in 10.6. In 10.3, they needed USB ports (bye bye beige G3s!), in 10.4, they needed firewire ports (bye bye first iMacs!) and now, 10.5 needs an 867 MHz or faster G4 (bye bye all G3 iMacs, iBook G3s & Power Mac G3s and some G4s). I know in other threads there's been a debate on whether or not to drop PowerPC support, but good chance all G4s will be. On the one hand, G5s are more powerful than the first Intel Macs. However, if we keep G5s, but drop G4s, there aren't any G5 laptops in consumer's hands and laptops are a big chunk of the Mac population (or Apple pie :p ). It would suck for some people in either case. Either laptop users will be mad or G5 users will be mad. On yet a different hand, it might be easiest for Apple to drop all PowerPC support after 10.5 and focus only on Intel (and whatever the iPods/iPhone run). This would be a lot easier to maintain & program since there aren't so many different architectures. Plus, everyone who has a PowerPC Mac that wants to run 10.6 would have to buy a new Mac, meaning more sales for Apple. On the downside, the consumers will probably hate having to upgrade.

Kipling

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
Cambridge UK
Those "secret features"...

the upcoming Mac OS 10.5 Leopard release will anchor a schedule of product upgrades that may continue as long as a decade.

I find that phrase quite interesting, and wonder if it means that those "top secret features" that Jobs alluded to are actually going to arrive in Leopard this week after all.

We just might not be able to see them yet.

As far as I understand it, there are only three possibilities - a) the top secret features don't exist at all; b) they're new additional applications that we haven't seen or heard about yet; or, c) they're hardware dependent and thus require a new piece of kit to be used.

I think c), and I won't be at all surprised if some completely new type of computer comes out in the next few weeks, bringing Multi-touch to the Mac - maybe the fabled MacBook Thin with a new type of giant multitouch trackpad...

:cool:

Egomaniac

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2006
Hahaha.

On a side note, I preordered Leopard yesterday. Is the Safari thats included a fully stable 3.0? I've been using the beta for a couple of months and as much as i love it, it beach balls me quite a bit.

Mere mortals are stuck with the 9a559 build of Leopard, so there's really no telling what the final version looks like until it's in our hands.

That said, Safari under 9a559 looks exactly like Safari under 10.4, down to the irritating random beachballs.

the.snitch

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2004
Auckland, NZ
Uh.. what? That was the pace back in 2002-2005. The Tiger-Leopard transition took 30 months. What is he talking about?

the keyword is average. 10.0 arrived in 2001. 10.5 is actually the 6th revision to OS X. so 6 releases between 2001-2007 is one per year ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.