Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
this is an apology

I dunno...not to burst anyone's bubble, or anything, but I think Jobs doing the Paris Expo is as much of an apology to Europe as anything, for canceling last year's event (rather than rescheduling) after September 11th.

Speed-bumped iBooks, or something might be likely, but I'd expect nothing major.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
I suspect the only news will be the release of iCal and iSync - perhaps we'll get more info on how well iSync works with Palm... and who knows, maybe even Pocket PC support!

I think it's nice that Steve pops over the Atlantic every once in a while to indulge us Euros - even if he doesn't have anything new to say!

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
iThink that new displays are the best bet for Paris...

But you never know if Apple will introduce some new 'digital device' during the keynote. Lately Steve hasn't had much surprises up his sleeves, and he really needs to get on the ball ;)

iWouldn't expect a stream, though. iDon't think there's ever been a QT stream from MW Paris or MWTK...

iSure hope that they introduce something good :cool:

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Jobs will start up with the simple updates:
He will go over the recent software updates and explain why you should upgrade to 10.2 (Phil might also due this, donno)
iCal release
iSync release
He will have the CEO of Palm prob :)
Scanner support (something on that)
Also bluetooth build into airport so you only have to buy one bluetooth thing :)

New powerbooks, 900mhz G4

If we see and ibook SE they are trying to get rid of G4 chips which means G5 MWSF

If we see no Xserve update also means G5 MWSF

:D

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by whfsdude
If we see and ibook SE they are trying to get rid of G4 chips which means G5 MWSF
:D

I, for one, would like to see this happen. Not only would we finally get a smaller G4 laptop, but we would also get the proverbial holy grail that is the G5 at MWSF. If the G5 incorporates a scaled-down version of IBM's Power4, this machine would obviously toast any Intel or AMD-based machine given a high clock speed, and would give Apple a sorely needed edge in the power user market.

MW Paris:
"Oh, and one more thing. Here at Apple we recognize the need for a smaller laptop. That is why I am proud to release the 12.1" Titanium Powerbook G4, complete with a 933MHz G4 CPU. We will also have a trade-up program for owners of G3 iBooks, who will be able to purchase a new 12.1" Powerbook for $999."

MWSF:
"Oh, and one ore thing. IBM touted it's Power4 CPU at the Microprocessor Conference in October last year. Today, we are releasing the first consumer machine incorporating that chip; the new Power Macintosh G5. The new PowerMac will run at speeds of up to 3.4GHz, with Dual Processors across the board. This machine scorches any Windows machine available as of today."

And then I woke up...:(

BeePotato

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
France
Originally posted by djniche
It's a macworld after all.

Well, in fact, not exactly.
People should stop calling it MacWorld Paris. It is not a MacWorld Expo. It's Apple Expo Paris, as it has always been for the last 20 years (and, obviously, it couldn't be called MacWorld then !).

Ok, it's not very important, but... "MacWorld" would just sound too American for us in France. :)

Nonosse

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2002
The Hague, NL
Why nothing big announced in Paris after all ?

Yep, why not ?

That might be fair for MacWorld all over the world to share big announcements once in a while. Might be nice also for Paris this year, as a compensation for no Apple Expo last year in Paris.

Last keynote was indeed quite empty (just software), maybe something bigger now ?

I'm a little skeptical about the iPhone, nevertheless.
I expect some highly performing device, therefore slightly oversized, and absolutely overexpensive. But it could match with the release of the common adress book of Jaguar.

And about the G5: we heard lots of expectations about it last weeks on this site, all saying how hard it would be to get it before a couple of years.
Has anything changed in the last days ?

Arnaud... :confused:

Nonosse

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2002
The Hague, NL
G5

And by the way: if a G5 is released in Apple Expo Paris (in 3 weeks), what will happen to the lately released Dual G4, especially considering the Dual 1.25GHz which should be available in still a large couple of weeks (3 to 5 weeks) ?

Arnaud.

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
Seems very unlikely that Apple would talk about a processor (IBM's) before we asume it will be announced in October.

I have to agree that that there won't be any BIG product launches. The idea of an iPhone is just silly, what is more logical is that Apple will provide support for this new Sony Erikson phone by allowing that to link with iSync and iCal, now that is a bit more realistic.

Gaz

myrdred23

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
actually, i remember a macworld tokyo that was streamed, it was the one when they released the horrible flowerpower imacs

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Phil Shiller will Keynote at Seybold Seminars Too

Originally posted by TyleRomeo
anyone know if any new hardware came out last MWP?

Last year it was the post 9/11 release of the free 10.1/9.2.2 update pack. Note: Phil Shiller will also keynote in San Francisco at Seybold Seminars.

Powerbooks are beginning to look a little long in the tooth. Would be a good time to refresh them up to 1 GHz/800 MHz + Jaguar and Bluetooth. I guess they can also say iSynch and iCal are ready for download and installed on all new Macs henceforth.

Seems like the PowerBooks will want a refresh sometime before January. But perhaps Apple is sitting on too many 667/800 mobiles to graduate the line due to slow sales. It just seems like there is a tremendous GAP between dual 1.25 MDD that cost the same as the portable 800. The 1 GHz PowerBook would be a good psychological threshold to reach ASAP for those who must have portability more than speed. Even the cheasiest portable PCs are now running at over a GHz (not that that means their faster). It's a perception thing.

The sooner Apple can move the entire line to the GHz or more level, I think the sooner sales will pick up. This is purely speculation on my part. I could be completely wrong. I don't know where Mac portable sales paces are at all. I would like to see the iBooks become G4 computers ASAP too. They could keep the same speeds and move them to G4 to radically increase their value as ultra-light/compact multimedia production systems.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Too American for the French?

Originally posted by BeePotato

Ok, it's not very important, but... "MacWorld" would just sound too American for us in France. :)

Does Steve speak French? If not, I'm afraid his keynote may sound too American for the French. :)

I swear, the only place that's more French than France is Quebec!

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
djniche:

I think you may be right concerning SJ showing off the spankin' new iCal and iSync. Europe would seem to be the perfect showcase for mobile productivity apps due to their more rapid adoption of next-gen cellular standards. (I assume that this is the direction that Europe is heading, due to numerous posts to this effect from those living there.)

I would STILL like to get something new from Apple Expo Paris, but I will prepare myself for a rehash and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

RL

robUx4

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2002
Paris, France
Do you know if they usually sell computers at this kind of event ?

If they announce new products will they sell it ?

(yes a 12.1" Titanium would be great)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.