Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Why? What makes the new MB a "must have" compared to the Air? As far as I'm aware they shaved a millimetre or two from it's belly, gave it a Retina screen and took away some very handy ports...

Is the new MacBook, it is as simple as that. You need to remember your teen days and that need for having the latest thing. We're talking about Apple here, the most valued company in the world with a fanbase like no others. When Apple releases a new product you better bet people is gonna buy it.

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
zhenya said:
Given that most people only use those ports a small fraction of the time

I love it when people make definitive comments like this with absolutely nothing to back it up!

Yeah. I only use the brakes on my bike less than 0.1% of the time, so I probably don't need those right?:rolleyes:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
If Apple did invent it then I'd expect it to debut on their devices first. However even the Nokia N1 tablet announced back in November 2014 had a USB-C port. Also if they created it, even if it was designed to be a standard connection, I'd expect them to have some exclusivity for a while, yet it is already available on the chromebook pixel.

However of course Apple invented it, just like they invented force touch *cough cough* haptic feedback.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I think the PRO lineup will keep to be different, with a different target in mind.

We can only hope! If I had to make a prediction, I'd guess that they will end up keeping the MacBook Pro name too, and ditching the Air (which is replaced by the new MacBook). But what ports will that MBP have? I really hope it has MagSafe, alongside a generous number of USB-C ports, but I'm not feeling hopeful. I'll stick my neck out and guess it'll be thinner (of course!), with three USB-C ports, one Thunderbolt port and one headphone socket (losing MagSafe, HDMI, SD slot, and one Thunderbolt port) essentially going from six data ports, down to three (when you're charging). Hoping I'm wrong and it has more! Any less than that would be something of a disaster I think.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
so what ?

Why not exclude the left rear door on most cars - 'most' people won't need that door either.

You're right!

2014-corvette-stingray-convertible-front-left-angle-1500x1000-1500x1000-510x0.jpg

Reactions: cupcakes2000

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Why? What makes the new MB a "must have" compared to the Air? As far as I'm aware they shaved a millimetre or two from it's belly, gave it a Retina screen and took away some very handy ports...

What makes the Air a "must have" compared to the Pro? As far as I'm aware they shaved a millimetre or two from it's belly, removed the Retina screen and took away some very handy ports. Weight, Size, Heat, Noise. Thats what makes a laptop. You don't want some heavy, big, hot, loud computer sitting on the top of your lap.

Lighter, Smaller, Cooler, Quieter = MUST HAVE

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
so what ?

Why not exclude the left rear door on most cars - 'most' people won't need that door either.

You're right. In a sedan or a minivan, that might be an odd omission.

The new MacBook is an automotive version of the Miata, not a minivan.

Stop complaining that the Miata on the lot (that you have no intention of buying) won't fit your family, dog, and summer vacation gear. Go buy the minivan.

Essaux

macrumors regular
Dearest, your economy sucks; dollars vs Euros and all that.

Our economy sucks because we pay overflated prices for Apple products? We earn on average more than Americans, that's for sure, it still sucks that we have to pay 400-500 more for the same product. That's why I buy Apple products when I'm in the States, saving 500 euros is basically my flight ticket to NYC and back.

----------

The prices going up 200 euros isn't apple being greedy, it's the currency in your country weakening against the US dollar right now.

So wait, weakened currency means we have to pay another 200 euros extra on top of already more expensive pricing for the same products.

When I'm in the States I can save up to 500 euros easily on buying the same product as buying it over here. That is a round trip to NYC for me.

Sorry, but there is no logic in Apple's overseas pricing other than Apple's greediness.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
You're right. In a sedan or a minivan, that might be an odd omission.

The new MacBook is an automotive version of the Miata, not a minivan.

Stop complaining that the Miata on the lot (that you have no intention of buying) won't fit your family, dog, and summer vacation gear. Go buy the minivan.

come on. at best its one of the scooters/vespas with a roof although you wouldnt think so when looking at the price.

Last edited:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
yes the iphone was new but their miscalculations there was epic.
Though a big part, if not the biggest part of their miscalculation was forgoing the carrier subsidies. So it was less about setting the actual price but about their sales model

i dont see the premium aspect of the new macbook which seems to be crux of your otherwise fine post.

yes products often have their prices lowered. that is the way of the world. i just think its two very different things when a matured product gets a price decrease and when a newly released product gets one. btw the mini and imac lost the optical drive at that time right?

my point in short is that if apple releases more and more products that are initially price too high i think they risk causing people to have scepticism of their newer prices.
The screen is very much premium compared with the MBAs. And the lower size and weight is a premium feature for an important subgroup of people.

And I bet you also didn't see any premium aspect in the original MBA (which didn't have the objective premium aspect of a higher resolution screen the new MB has but only the size and weight advantage which might not be a premium aspect for you), but it still sold if not in great numbers certainly in reasonable quantities. And once it was available with an SSD for a lower price it had an objective premium aspect at a price higher than the then MBs.

----------

Are you sure? The "memorandum of understanding" was years ago, the new law was drafted last year and cuts in in 2016. Its still stupid to specify the connector at the smartphone end - which have to double as data ports and will continue to evolve - when mandating USB-A or C on the *charger* end, which only has to charge, solves the problem (and also guarantees that you can use the supplied charge cable in cars, computers etc.)
You might well be right about the future in terms of the legal situation. I was talking about what was the legal situation since the issue first got raised by the EU (commission).

And how could you achieve the goal without specifying a connector? You could say to the industry that you don't care about which connector is used as long as it is the same on all phones and let the industry pick which connector they want to use. But the result is essentially the same and the industry certainly was able to say which port they preferred.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Though a big part, if not the biggest part of their miscalculation was forgoing the carrier subsidies. So it was less about setting the actual price but about their sales model

The screen is very much premium compared with the MBAs. And the lower size and weight is a premium feature for an important subgroup of people.

And I bet you also didn't see any premium aspect in the original MBA (which didn't have the objective premium aspect of a higher resolution screen the new MB has but only the size and weight advantage which might not be a premium aspect for you), but it still sold if not in great numbers certainly in reasonable quantities. And once it was available with an SSD for a lower price it had an objective premium aspect at a price higher than the then MBs.

if you want to look at it that way however apple had an inflated view of what they should get for each phone as well as capacity offered.

yes the screen is better (considerably) than the mba and its somewhat lighter. that dosent mean i see the device itself as a premium one and coming close to justifying its price.

please dont assume what i thought about the original mba. i would argue that one was much more of a breakthrough than this one in their uniqueness.

Steve USB

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2015
Lightning has 8 pins, USB-C has 12 pins.
24 pins. 4 power, 4 ground, 8 high speed, 4 USB2 (paralleled), two reserved for future use, one to power circuitry in the cable, and one to control power.

----------

Hardly, read up on the specs of each. Lightning is great for phones and tablets, USB-C/3.1 is ideal for computers. Note: DisplayPort output natively!
USB allows "alternate modes" in USB Type C, Display Port is the first.

Steve USB

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2015
You would need to talk to the USB standards committee .
Why tongue in receptacle? Simple, ESD. You can protect something slow like USB2.0 with a diode.

Type C is designed for USB3.1 Gen 2. All the over voltage devices add capacitance, which limits usable frequency (10Gb/s operates to 5GHz).

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
We can only hope! If I had to make a prediction, I'd guess that they will end up keeping the MacBook Pro name too, and ditching the Air (which is replaced by the new MacBook). But what ports will that MBP have? I really hope it has MagSafe, alongside a generous number of USB-C ports, but I'm not feeling hopeful. I'll stick my neck out and guess it'll be thinner (of course!), with three USB-C ports, one Thunderbolt port and one headphone socket (losing MagSafe, HDMI, SD slot, and one Thunderbolt port) essentially going from six data ports, down to three (when you're charging). Hoping I'm wrong and it has more! Any less than that would be something of a disaster I think.
In the configuration the pro line has all the ports I need.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
yes the screen is better (considerably) than the mba and its somewhat lighter. that dosent mean i see the device itself as a premium one and coming close to justifying its price.

please dont assume what i thought about the original mba. i would argue that one was much more of a breakthrough than this one in their uniqueness.
The closest comparison with other Mac laptops at the time for the original MBA was the 13" MB (which came out eight months later). The original MBA weighted 3.0 lbs and the 13" MB weighted 4.5 lbs. The new MB weighs 2.03 lbs and the current 13" MBA weighs 2.96 lbs (the 11" MBA weighs 2.36 lbs). So the original MBA was 33% lighter than the 13" MB. The new MB is 31% or 14% lighter (depending on which MBA you use as a base). So we might be getting into the area of diminishing returns but then the new MB has a clearly better screen compared to the current MBAs, so the weight loss might not be quite as large but the screen distinguishes it more, something the original MBA did not do. It's only trump was size and weight. And the original MBA started also at a much higher price than the new MB.

But in the end, already if the new MB only sells decently, it will show that enough people do consider it to be premium enough to pay a premium price.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
The closest comparison with other Mac laptops at the time for the original MBA was the 13" MB (which came out eight months later). The original MBA weighted 3.0 lbs and the 13" MB weighted 4.5 lbs. The new MB weighs 2.03 lbs and the current 13" MBA weighs 2.96 lbs (the 11" MBA weighs 2.36 lbs). So the original MBA was 33% lighter than the 13" MB. The new MB is 31% or 14% lighter (depending on which MBA you use as a base). So we might be getting into the area of diminishing returns but then the new MB has a clearly better screen compared to the current MBAs, so the weight loss might not be quite as large but the screen distinguishes it more, something the original MBA did not do. It's only trump was size and weight. And the original MBA started also at a much higher price than the new MB.

But in the end, already if the new MB only sells decently, it will show that enough people do consider it to be premium enough to pay a premium price.

you are right it was considerably cheaper (just over $400 if you add in the dongle). and obviously the screen is holding the mba back these days. was it that bad though in 2008?

we will see how this one develops.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
From the Apple site.

intel HD Graphics 5300
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colours

Not sure if thats is 30 or 60 hz.

Can't handle 5k for the thunderbolt display I think is what I was thinking of?

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Can't handle 5k for the thunderbolt display I think is what I was thinking of?

Thats not a problem as the Thunderbolt display is only 2.5K and does not really matter as the Macbook does not have thunderbolt. It can be used with 27" ACD though.

enblue

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2015
Germany
Lightning and Apple Watch

Interesting to know would be if the new Apple Watch Charger has USB-C, too .And I expect the lightning cables to quickly change to that standard as well, there might be two versions for sometime

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
that would work great when I boot off an external drive.

Yes, it would be great if Apple could create magnetic connectors. But I think with Intel's Skylake processors, beginning next year, there will be wireless interfaces that allow peripherals to be connected without any wires or cables, so magnetic connectors may be unnecessary now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.