Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I suppose you don't realize that Ivy is an Industrial Designer who has a top team of Engineers (Mechanical, Electrical), Software Developers and Graphics Artists who do the actual work, right?

You suppose wrong... and there's nothing in that list that suggests he'd make a great CEO. I'm a designer; I don't for one second believe I have the qualities, skills and experience to be my organisation's CEO.

maclova

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2003
Switzerland
good job jonathan!! you're living my dream.. but wait up!!
..ill follow to become apple designer and then take over the ceo position from you.. we could make it an apple tradition; head designer-> ceo :p

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
You suppose wrong... and there's nothing in that list that suggests he'd make a great CEO. I'm a designer; I don't for one second believe I have the qualities, skills and experience to be my organisation's CEO.

and what do they think? :rolleyes:

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
It'll never work.

Fan 1: Ive announced new Macs today.
Fan 2: Have you?

Poor Jobs though. Everyone seems determined to say he's about to drop dead of illness or old age these days! How would you feel if people were arranging your leaving party and digging your grave 10+ years before retirement age :p

I heard it was going to be Clarkson.

(That's Jeremy Clarkson to my fellow Yanks mired back in the motherland)

He'd certainly make sure that Macs were fast.

Indeed. I mean come on, CEO of Apple, how hard can it be?

There's another possible man(?) for the job.
Some say he owns bitchslapbillgates.com
And that he runs Mac OS X on his toaster.
All we know is he's called The Stig.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
Ive. Great, Apple is going to make computers that are even more stylish and even less useful. We need balance, not more extremism. How about Eric Schmidt?

cworsley4

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Jobs is not getting the boot it he

Hold on now they are not about to get jobs the boot. This would not happen until Jobs retires right?????

Jobs is just the best bisness man, he is irreplaceable.
But the day will come where he retires and steps down
so i guess this other guy would be a good replacement, if they two of them are alike.
But really guy what do you think??:apple:

MBP 2.4
2gig ram:apple:

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
No one is irreplaceable, no one.

It is good to get someone new in to give a different perspective on the company and it can actually spur growth however there will always be a short term dip.

I doubt it will happen for quite a little while yet but there are a multitude of facts that are unaccounted for, personal goals, retirement plans, health, wanting to do something else, internal politics, family commitments, etc.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
He's had the boot before (when he went to do that NEXT cube thing), so yes he could. But it's unlikely, unless he places his trust in some backstabbing moron from a cola company again :p

CatharticFlux

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2004
Marietta, GA
Steve just has a unique combination of marketer, leader, aesthete, businessman and technologist that, for better or worse, doesn't really exist in the IT CxO ranks out there. It may yet be many decades before we find someone that can also marry business with aesthetics AND makes us drink the kool-aid :)

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
life without steve in charge of apple?? i can't imagine!!?? nor do i want to, at least for now

Being that Steve is only in his early 50's, I would think he will be around for some time. Unless he stops loving what he's doing. Cause at this point I don't think he's in it for extra money! :)

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Though mostly speculative, Timesonline.co.uk profiles Apple's Vice-President of Industrial Design, Jonathan Ive, as a possible successor CEO to Steve Jobs.

The author suggests that there has been some call for a plan for 'Apple after Steve Jobs', who is currently 52 years old.
I think this article is ridiculous -- 52 -- BAH! 52 is the new 42! People who "rockstars" don't retire -- Mecca, Elton, Mick, Plant, Jobs -- they were born to rock! You have to ask yourself WHY IS JOBS ON THE JOB? It's certainly not the money. It's to make great stuff AND to prove that while not the biggest, Apple still makes the best, a point that millions have really never known until very recently. I believe that Steve will continue to run the ship for at least 10 more years, easily. This article was written because anything about Jobs will be read, nothing more.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
They'd better get the right person or our stock will plummet the second Jobs slips on the lane at a bowling alley.

Yah, well the stock market is so dumbed down nowadays that there's no telling what jacks it up or spooks it. Stocks slip when targets are met (met is the new underperformed), when targets are exceeded (the feat is already discounted), and sometimes rise immediately after dipping when targets are missed ("buy low...").

But it's true that the cult of personality is a potential problem for Apple. Hopefully the next time Apple unwraps a CEO, it won't be some guy used to run a sodapop operation... I think they may have figured that much out. They do have to count the beans though, and the CEO has to listen to the chief beancounter if he's not very tuned into that himself.

With the cashpile that Apple can put into play, the deathknell counter is not going to make much headway for awhile no matter who's up top.

tgildred

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Steve Jobs is the REASON that made me LOVE Apple & its products. :)

I love this man very very much, and my feelings towards him are sincere.

I never cared about celebrities, but If I have the chance to meet a celebrity, I would choose my hero Mr. Jobs.

Apple without Steve, is like a planet with no water.

It would really sadden me to see him retire and leave the industry, and I hope that day never comes.

That's it. No more Kool-Aid for you. You've had enough.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
A friend of mine is a big-shot financial executive, who controls literally billions of dollars in mutual funds. I recently asked him why he's never invested in Apple stock. He said that in his opinion, Apple is "too closely tied to Steve Jobs", and if something unexpected were to happen to Steve -- the stock price would tank overnight. Just too much long-term risk despite Apple's incredible rise recently. Interesting observation from a major player in the financial realm. :apple:

I'd give more thought to who he is on the job before you take his advice for your personal investment. You manage your lousy little four million bucks :D and he manages "literally billions of dollars in mutual funds" FOR OTHER PEOPLE.

If Apple's stock tanks some afternoon behind a newsclip of Jobs tripping over a discarded Zune outside a Starbucks, and given that I actually love all my Apple products, I'd buy into it at the tank price if I could actually get it. Your buddy might well be there afore me (with a considered risk of his own money, not the money he's paid to invest at the job).

I always wonder what the CEOs of companies such as tool and die makers or soda can manufacturers think when they read all the press about celebrity CEOs' every little publicly recorded step off the front porch. Probably, they thank their lucky stars that what they decided to invent in their garage was something useful but so mundane as to escape media attention most of the time.

tgildred

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Not Ives, but a child whose reality distortion field is as great as Jobs' own...

I imagine that one day 5 golden tickets will be hidden in five new iPods distributed around the world. By apparent chance 5 children will be selected to tour Apple HQ at 1 Infinite Loop. Through a series of moral tests loosely disguised as accidents, the successor will be weeded out and chosen.

Most likely he will be an exceedingly annoying little dingus with bad hair. He will, however, have the requisite black turtleneck.

And think about it. The 5th Ave glass cube? Actually a glass elevator.

Attachments

• charliebucket.jpg
    charliebucket.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 66

gifford

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
Miserable England
I imagine that one day 5 golden tickets will be hidden in five new iPods distributed around the world. By apparent chance 5 children will be selected to tour Apple HQ at 1 Infinite Loop. Through a series of moral tests loosely disguised as accidents, the successor will be weeded out and chosen.

Most likely he will be an exceedingly annoying little dingus with bad hair. He will, however, have the requisite black turtleneck.

And think about it. The 5th Ave glass cube? Actually a glass elevator.

ha ha, thats so daft its almost plausible, great publicity. A bit like "the apprentice" on UK TV, or simon cowell and that stupid music contest he does.

globalhemp

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
United States
Why not Richard Branson?

Even if he's about the same age as Jobs, he's the one who could pull it off if something dramatic were unfortunately to happen to Jobs.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
When Clarkson does take over Apple...

James May as Clarkson's new Ive. At least he has a proper haircut and a modicum of taste. His amphibious vehicle's inclusion of a sail showed real style and ingenuity.

As for Hammond, he can be head of marketing with those poncy retouched teeth of his.

And Stiggy? Head of engineering.

IKEA

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2005
I nominate Ballmer.

He's dedicated, enthusiastic, speaks his mind… Seriously, what more could one want?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.