Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Isn't Son the same individual that purchased Sprint and basically ran it into the ground? I mean, Sprint wasn't a ton better before (at least around me), but his purchase felt like the complete end of the line for Sprint.

sleven

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
Thinking something very much like from "Her", not a phone, although it might could make calls. Something focused just on direct communication with an AI, probably largely audio.

Sunglasses seems doable tech wise.
But then you can’t capitalize as much on the people who wear glasses and only glasses.

PS8409

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2013
It may be what sort of happened with Jobs’ Next - let Ive spend his own money on the project then Apple with make him an offer he can’t refuse to purchase the patent (or just copy it themselves lol)

Oscar_440

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2017
Thinking something very much like from "Her", not a phone, although it might could make calls. Something focused just on direct communication with an AI, probably largely audio.

Sunglasses seems doable tech wise.
Did you see hu.ma.ne AI pin?
It's said to be released on December 23. It could be an awesome and useful device

rp100

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
Ive has already proven his design acumen, but this project needs a visionary in order to get the most out of Ive. The reason Ive was so successful at Apple was because of the relationship with Jobs who knew what he wanted, believed that those dreams were achievable, and trusted and pushed Ive to deliver those dreams to the consumer.

In other words, elegance is not a solution in and of itself. It’s purpose is to stimulate desire and inspire the person to imagine what life could be like with that product in his life.

Reactions: arkitect

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Major difference is things like LLM’s are impactful and can have a huge productivity gain on things like software engineering. NFT’s are just a scam
Sure, as long as we keep things in perspective, the huge productivity gain is an overstatement in many cases - it's promising, it's somewhat helpful, it's good progress, but no where near that "one click and it does 10-20 people's jobs immaculately" thing spammed left and right in the media for a handful's benefit.

Reactions: VulchR and arkitect

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I’m not sure a separate AI device is what’s really needed - I’m thinking most people will just integrate AI into the devices they already have (smartphones, tablets, …)
Right—if you’re really interested in this tech, you already have this device. It’s anything that can run ChatGPT. I even have Siri jacked into it via a shortcut to Petey.

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
No thanks. The less AI in the world stealing content online, impersonating people, and being exploited to cut real creative jobs, the better. Not very impressed Jony is supporting this.

I bet you would have been against the proliferation of the internet too

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
AiPhone, 1mm thick with a 20 minute battery life with no buttons or ports handmade from a slab of rock carefully transported from the moon.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Ai that's indistinguishable from talking to a real human is going to be a game changer.

I'm not sure the current approach to Ai is going to get us there... although it will get close.

The real breakthrough will come from biology. Once we understand how brains actually work, simulating something similar will be relatively straightforward. Chances are the answer will turn out surprisingly simple, after all, even tiny insects can think and interact with the world in ways far beyond anything current Ai can achieve.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Ive has already proven his design acumen, but this project needs a visionary in order to get the most out of Ive. The reason Ive was so successful at Apple was because of the relationship with Jobs who knew what he wanted, believed that those dreams were achievable, and trusted and pushed Ive to deliver those dreams to the consumer.

In other words, elegance is not a solution in and of itself. It’s purpose is to stimulate desire and inspire the person to imagine what life could be like with that product in his life.
👍 Well said!

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
The smartphone is already the "everything device" that everyone carries in their pocket.

Seems way more logical to add AI to a smartphone (and bake it into the OS) than to create a second device for people to carry for AI.

If history has shown us anything, it's that people don't want to carry any more devices than they have to. Just ask digital camera makers.

I remember carrying around a Sony Ericsson P900 back in the 2000s and some investor I was pitching me telling me to think mobile because one-day it would replace the bulky desktops and laptops of most people. I nearly died laughing as I looked down at the tiny display on my P900. I believed that could never happen.

I was later advised to buy into ARM Holdings because their chips/designs would be in everything. Again, I laughed.

Eventually all my laugher turned to hysterical tears.

Some guy laid out the future to me and I was too arrogant to even consider the possibilities.

I learned to consider that the everything device of today may not be the everything device of tomorrow.

Am I betting on OpenAI and Ive killing the iPhone? No. I'm just trying not to laugh at the thought.

Reactions: Morod and crsh1976

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009

Former Apple designer Jony Ive and OpenAI's Sam Altman are in advanced talks with SoftBank's Masayoshi Son to launch a $1 billion venture to build "the iPhone of artificial intelligence," according to the Financial Times. The news follows a report on Wednesday that claimed Ive and Altman are in discussions about creating an AI gadget.

jony-ive.jpg

According to FT, Altman wants Ive's design agency LoveFrom to help develop the ChatGPT creator's first consumer device. From the paywalled report:
Son, Softbank's founder and CEO, has been involved in some of the discussions, which have centered around creating a company drawing from Softbank, Altman's OpenAI, and Ive's LoveFrom design agency.

Son is said to be pitching a central role for British chip designer Arm, in which the Japanese conglomerate holds a 90% stake. Son is also offering $1 billion investment in the venture, according to the report.

Ive is said to have been concerned about the compulsive nature of smartphone users' behavior, and the designer sees the project as an opportunity to create a way of interacting with computers that is less reliant on screens.

Discussions are said to be "serious," but no deal has been agreed, and it could be several months before any official announcement, cautioned people with knowledge of the matter. Any resulting device would likely remain years away from launching.

Ive left Apple to begin LoveFrom in 2019, recruiting at least four of his former Apple colleagues to work with him at the firm, including Wan Si, Chris Wilson, Patch Kessler, and Jeff Tiller.

Article Link: Jony Ive and OpenAI in Advanced Talks to Build 'the iPhone of Artificial Intelligence'
An AI in a sleek aluminum design.
Modeled after the human skeleton.
It will have glowing red eyes and in some cases a bio organic resilient human like skin.
He will dub it Sky net. And it’s sub processors for human eradication…. I mean COMMUNICATION. Will be dubbed the T-600.

It will be the peak in advanced human AI interaction. All at a small cost of 7 billion human lives.

• Wow

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
"Line up! Line up! The queue for the brain implants start here."
Honestly after a lifetime of being opposed to all the anti-human dystopian tech junk sci-fi warned us about & seeing it all wreck up functional society anyway, I’m quickly running out of things i value enough to hold on to & am past the tipping point into “screw it, give me the implant and let me see what its like being a cyborg in my remaining years“ territory. Just take me straight from my quiet off-grid cabin to the farthest out tech, and skip this entire era of crummy half-measures & all the hardware clutter in between.

Last edited:
  • Love

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
There are certain obvious converging trends in the design of this kind of device. A pin or a clip, audio and voice input and output, projected light for simple displays. It sounds to me like Humane has a big head start on a device of this sort, and any new startup is going to be 2-3 years behind the curve.

The key area will be software, how real can you make the software assistant. It’s kind of an unknown, because most software assistants so far have not been good enough to move the consumer needle, despite Google making a bit of a splash a few years ago. But a device like this is actually running on that as its key differentiator, so we will have to see.

If you take OpenAI’s involvement as a given, you can make a few guesses what that software will look like. Take an iPhone’s built in apps, and make them modules with AI input and output, and formulate some common tasks, then make sure the generative AI is capable of performing those tasks. Things like saving a piece of text that it has been reading to Notes, and recalling it, or working with Calendar appointments. It doesn’t sound too challenging to get basic functionality up and running quite quickly.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
These news remind me of when Tony Fadell left Apple and someone would announce from time to time whatever revolutionary product he would be building now (sometimes the "iPod of whatever")

• Love
Reactions: macsplusmacs

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Humane AI Pin.
Also made by ex-Apple designers and engineers.

You mean the vaporware "device" that does absolutely nothing as well as, let alone better than, a phone? Hopefully well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.