Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After naming the iPhone X as one of the 25 Best Inventions of the Year, TIME sat down for an interview about the smartphone with Apple's design chief Jony Ive and hardware engineering chief Dan Riccio.

iphone-x-earpiece-800x565.jpg

Riccio believes the iPhone X paves the way for the next 10 years of smartphones, given its radical redesign with a nearly edge to edge display, no home button, and advanced cameras for facial recognition and augmented reality.

"There were these extraordinarily complex problems that needed to be solved," said Ive. "Paying attention to what's happened historically actually helps give you some faith that you are going to find a solution."

That history includes, in part, Apple removing the headphone jack on the iPhone 7 last year, parting ways with the built-in disc drive on the MacBook Pro after 2012, and ditching the floppy drive on the iMac G3 in 1998.

"I actually think the path of holding onto features that have been effective, the path of holding onto those whatever the cost, is a path that leads to failure," said Ive. "And in the short term, it's the path that feels less risky and it's the path that feels more secure."

Ive acknowledged that it's not always easy for Apple to move past a feature or technology when it believes there's a "better way," and it's easy to see his point given the controversy that each change has generated.

Apple was criticized by a fair number of customers for removing the headphone jack on the iPhone last year, for example, and even competitors like Google and Samsung used it as an opportunity to poke fun at Apple.

After time, however, many customers usually learn to adapt. Google even removed the headphone jack on the Pixel 2 this year.

iPhone X is the most expensive iPhone ever, with a starting price of $999 in the United States, which Ive said is the "financial consequence" of "integrating the sheer amount of processing power into such a small device."

"Our goal is always to provide what we think is the best product possible, not always the lowest cost," added Riccio.

Despite being expensive, the iPhone X appears to be off to a successful start given sales estimates, and Apple's forecast for an all-time revenue record this quarter. Orders placed today are still backlogged by 2-3 weeks.

Article Link: Jony Ive Says Holding Onto Features When There's a 'Better Way' is 'Path That Leads to Failure'

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
So, they don't want to play it safe? Well, I agree with that.
How about giving us a redesigned and completely revamped iOS? Just a simple fix so we don't have to look at grid of endless icons would suffice. But then again, that wouldn't be playing it safe now, would it? :)

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I still can’t wrap my head around how the notch is a wise design choice.

I know I know, you get used to it after a couple days. Doesn’t change the fact it’s ugly as hell. Adding a small bezel along the top that’s half the height of current notch to house the new tech would’ve been better.

Also, I can only imagine the amount of seething remarks people on this site would make if the new Google pixel had a notch on their screen. They’d be in full force mocking it. But since it’s Apple, they can do no wrong.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Dear Johnny,
I hate face ID. It fails at least 30% of the time even after many re-trains. The truth is this:

You needed an edge-to-edge display because the Android guys were killing in there and you couldn't figure out how to get touch ID under the display so you gave us this other garbage instead.

Dont get me wrong, I love the iPhone X. I have no problem what-so-ever with the notch, but face ID is pure (provenly insecure) crap.

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
I feel that for many of us, what we have with the iPhone 7 or 8 is all we want from a device.
There are features in the iPhone X that I will never use. My fear is that list will grow ever longer and that alone will make people like me think longer and harder about parting with money for a device that we may well only use a small part of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.