Jony Ive on Apple Watch Series 4: 'Every Bone in My Body Tells Me This is Very Significant'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's chief designer, Jony Ive, recently discussed this week's reveal of the Apple Watch Series 4 with The Washington Post, stating that "Every bone in my body tells me this is very significant."

Ive's comment references new health-related features in the Apple Watch Series 4, including the ability to detect if you've fallen down and a new feature that lets you take an ECG measurement -- the first time that's been possible in a wrist-worn device. In the interview, the designer further states that the new watch "will be a more marked tipping point in understanding and adoption of the product."

[​IMG]

According to Ive, Apple plans to focus on further separating the Apple Watch from the iPhone in the future, in addition to increasing the reliability of internet and cellular connectivity.
    Ive says that he became "zealous" about the Apple Watch following the thousands of user letters sent to the company, in which people describe how the wearable saved their life. These life-saving Apple Watch stories have grown frequent in the years since Apple debuted the Apple Watch in 2015, with many referencing the device's ability to pick up on abnormal heart patterns and others using the Apple Watch's emergency 911 feature.
    Ive also mentions that the increased display area of Apple Watch Series 4 is beneficial to users who want to reduce the screen time on their iPhones. Ive says that while the Series 4 displays are bigger, they aren't so expansive that you'll become sucked into a social media spiral.
    We've got plenty of other Apple Watch Series 4 coverage for those looking for more information on the device, including an announcement post, hands-on, breakdown of every Series 4 collection, and comparison to the Series 3. Those interested will be able to pre-order Apple Watch Series 4 -- as well as the iPhone XS and XS Max -- beginning at 12:01 a.m. PDT on September 14.

Article Link: Jony Ive on Apple Watch Series 4: 'Every Bone in My Body Tells Me This is Very Significant'

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

3. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

like no offense, but he sounds so pretentious. it's just a watch.

4. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502

DocMultimedia

"Every bone in my body says this Watch will really help my stock options."

5. L-Viz macrumors regular

L-Viz

Steve Jobs Era

MacIntosh - significant
    iMac - significant
    iPod - significant
    iPhone - significant
    iPad - significant

Bozo Era

Apple Watch - irrelevant
    Home Pod - irrelevant
    Non existing charging mat - irrelevant
    Watch bands - irrelevant

6. Suberious macrumors newbie

Suberious

Does anyone else get REALLY annoyed at the drone of his voice..?

7. Relentless Power, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I am really looking forward to this model Apple Watch, I think the revisions are nice, the larger display, EKG, upgraded fitness aspects, it’s way more than just a notification device anymore. Hopefully glucose monitoring makes it way here eventually.

8. rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

I completly agree with Jony. Even though I held out on series one and two, I have always felt this product would grow and be a device on par with the iPhone in both sales numbers and cultural importance. It’s just in it’s infancy as to where it will eventually be.

9. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

And every bone in my body says that this screams over-priced. Why do we post articles from him? Walking ad.

10. rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

Nope. I love his voice.

11. LeeW macrumors regular

LeeW

12. rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

That’s Your opinion. If it’s too expensive for you, no problem, don’t buy it.

13. gugy macrumors 68030

I love the Apple keynote videos that use Ive's voice. Whoever writes those deserves a raise. Very well done. With that said, a lot of Ive says outside of those videos on the press is mostly BS or hyping nothing. Either way, I am glad Apple has him.

14. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

So the watch has reduced his dependancy on his phone? Much like my phone has reduced my dependancy on my TV? And thousands of people have written to Apple to say how a product they bought from them has saved their lives? Perhaps that many has, if they were hoping for a freebie or some publicity.

The hyperbolic spiel that comes out of Cupertino these days makes me feel nauseous. It's headed in the right direction, leave it at that. Perhaps let the product and it's benefits do the talking for a change.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I would say its way more than that. It really is becoming a mature health device in the sense of what it has to offer. The EKG, fall detection, heart readings, ect. If first started As a communication/notification device, its far more than that and it still evolving.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

I disagree. The new ECG function is pivotal. Also, all the health tracking functions are important, I have seen it on my wife.

17. Martius macrumors regular

Martius

18. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502

DocMultimedia

Not sure about my bones, but my brain says I'm buying one tomorrow. Bigger face will be really nice for running.

19. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

Every bone in my body tells me all of his ideas were stolen from Dieter Rams.

http://uk.phaidon.com/store/design/as-little-design-as-possible-9780714849188/

20. Kynmore macrumors member

Kynmore

To some of us, it is more than just a watch. Being one of the people who have health issues the watch can help monitor and maintain, it's become more important to me than my phone, my laptop, or even having a car.

Being able to get a heads up before y have a syncopic episode has saved me from potential live ending events (fainting in a car while driving 65 on the interstate would be catastrophic).

And I just have the first gen watch. I use it to feed data to an app that monitors my heart rate at a set rate and gives me an alarm when the rate rises or drops below thresholds. Now that the Series 4 does a lot of that build in, and I don't necessarily have to be tethered to my phone, it will become even more invaluable.

As for Jony's pretentiousness, well, the man does design Apple products. You kind of want someone who's really really in love with your company and product to design for you. Can't fault him for that.

21. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

Ive's is totally right! Apple Watch 4 is the tipping point. This is going to be a very important device that saves lives even!

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

23. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

A phone with a smaller screen would also help with the imperative of being in touch, without the tendency to get sucked into social media as much.

#SE4Lyfe.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Great post.
    One question, how does the Watch warn you before an episode?

25. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

[​IMG]

Oh God, he's at it again

On a serious note, I think the Apple Watch update was more significant than the iPhone this year.