Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
As a Certified Master Watchmaker, I can attest to major changes in the way watches are perceived. Just since the 90's when Rolex and others of that level sold everything they could produce, the market has changed. Watches are unitaskers. They tell the time. A 100k$ Swiss watch may tell you the phase of the moon and the time in Moscow but it's still a time instrument. Watchmaking is retreating to the high ground as manufacturing technology make sever fancier models possible at ever more extravagant prices. But watch purchases are declining. it's a piece of jewelry to most who still wear them. Most people who wear a five-figure watch will check the time on their smartphones. One client came in with his fancy calendar watch and joked that he had been wearing it for two weeks before he noticed it had stopped working.

There is a market for something new and better. A wrist data center would open up a whole new market that others can only scratch at. If Apple is working on such a product, I think the time is just about right for it. Like the iPhone, there will be a discovery process of customer and manufacturer learning what is possible and what is wanted. But the time is coming soon.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
But, of course, Apple never copy. That's left to Samsung...

Everyone copies an idea here and there, but few large companies copy an entire product so thoroughly and shamelessly calls it their own the way Samsung does.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
As a Certified Master Watchmaker, I can attest to major changes in the way watches are perceived. Just since the 90's when Rolex and others of that level sold everything they could produce, the market has changed. Watches are unitaskers. They tell the time. A 100k$ Swiss watch may tell you the phase of the moon and the time in Moscow but it's still a time instrument. Watchmaking is retreating to the high ground as manufacturing technology make sever fancier models possible at ever more extravagant prices. But watch purchases are declining. it's a piece of jewelry to most who still wear them. Most people who wear a five-figure watch will check the time on their smartphones. One client came in with his fancy calendar watch and joked that he had been wearing it for two weeks before he noticed it had stopped working.

There is a market for something new and better. A wrist data center would open up a whole new market that others can only scratch at. If Apple is working on such a product, I think the time is just about right for it. Like the iPhone, there will be a discovery process of customer and manufacturer learning what is possible and what is wanted. But the time is coming soon.

Very interesting. Thank you for posting. So refreshing to read something like this than the 90% of bickering that usually goes on in the comment sections.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008

I questioned the smarts behind Apple releasing a watch in a different thread. Who wears watches that much anymore with all of the smart phones out there?

What do you think Apple could do to make people accept and use an Apple watch?

I think the killer app would have to be a speaker phone. If you could answer calls and have a speaker phone on your wrist, that would be pretty cool. It would be great for driving. No need to fumble through your pockets or purse while driving. Leave the phone where it is and the watch has the mic and the speakers as well as the answer and hang up button.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I think Apple's watch will be here soon, I think it'll be Apple's answer to Google Glass (which is rumoured to be going consumer by the end of this year). So I'd expect Apple's watch in the same timeframe. A smartwatch is less geeky and also offers simple notifications without having to resort to taking your smartphone out. They might announce it early like they did the first iPhone and iPad: There won't be any sales lost of existing products that will slow down after announcing it because it's a new product.

I've had my Pebble for 2 weeks now and I'm really impressed how much it really adds. A quick glance at the watch will tell you who's calling without having to stop walking, and it's one button press to send the call to voicemail. Same for texts, one glance and you got most of it.

And I'm sure once Apple is done with it it'll be even greater than the Pebble.

dabigone

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Is this what it's come to now for news on here? A box full of crappy old watches and rehashed starbucks pranks? smh

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
A quick glance at the watch will tell you who's calling without having to stop walking, and it's one button press to send the call to voicemail. Same for texts, one glance and you got most of it.

You have to stop walking to look at your phone and pick up a call?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The truth is - it's not a watch and TV that Apple is working on.

It's a TV Watch!

It's been done before - but not by Apple!

J1989

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
CA
Foresight

It has been said the Steve Jobs had left at least a 5 year plan for Apple to proceed with and I surmise that the 'iWatch' was thoroughly brain-stormed prior to his death. I would expect we should see a hands free communication device that will knock the socks off the skeptics that will come out in various states of upgrade for the next few years.

Derpage

Suspended
Mar 7, 2012
Jony loves fancy watches.
I want to be just like Jony.
I need an iwatch in order to be more like him.
All refined people love watches.
You should get one too.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
It has been said the Steve Jobs had left at least a 5 year plan for Apple to proceed with and I surmise that the 'iWatch' was thoroughly brain-stormed prior to his death. I would expect we should see a hands free communication device that will knock the socks off the skeptics that will come out in various states of upgrade for the next few years.

Said by who? Please find me an actual source from within Apple that has said what you and so many on the damn forum have stated.

In fact the only place I have even seen it mentioned is on this forum.

The number of myths and FUD mentioned once and then repeated without there ever being a source is becoming almost as alarming as something from 2007 making the front page.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Said by who? Please find me an actual source from within Apple that has said what you and so many on the damn forum have stated.

In fact the only place I have even seen it mentioned is on this forum.

The number of myths and FUD mentioned once and then repeated without there ever being a source is becoming almost as alarming as something from 2007 making the front page.

I believe the Foundation series is loosely based on Steve Jobs plans for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.