Jony Ive's Involvement at Apple Reportedly Tapered After the Original Apple Watch Launched in 2015

w5jck

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2013
I my goodness they have Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo from Southpark running the design team now! :eek: I new their design team was already in the toilet, but geez...

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
Sound like a lot of people here are jealous of Ive’s success and money.
Ha. No kidding. I was thinking the same thing.

I see Ive as a human. That man has had one of the highest ranking jobs for decades at the worlds most valuable company. And he finally hit his breaking point. We all know what it's like to have "checked out" of your job mentally. It sounds terrible. I'm glad he was able to get out.

Uncertain about the future, though! Guess we'll see the products in a couple of years! Haha!

apolloa

macrumors G5
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
As I said before, his departure has been in the making for a while.
You can tell he’s tired looking at his eyes, doesn’t matter who you are, age takes it’s toll and when your in a position under that much pressure it can only massively increase.

Glad he’s going to take it a lot easier and I won’t be surprised if eventually he moves back to the UK, but that could depend on if he has children living in the US? If we still had Concorde it wouldn’t be so much of a problem.....

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
I was just thinking that it’s kind of ironic that commuting was a significant factor in draining the passion of a man employed by a technology company.

There are many days my husband teleconferences with people around the world. And yes there are serious limitations to the technology that would render it unsuitable for the kinds of meetings Jony Ive needed to conduct.

So if Apple is so keen on the environment, I hope they work harder to make telecommunications so advanced it renders the need to physically travel long distances burning jet fuel obsolete. They need to push AR in this direction, which is much more useful and desirable than putting dragons on my kitchen table.

I think offices and commuting would still be desirable to have. But the flexibility to have a virtual presence at meetings could help save wear and tear on our transportation infrastructure, which where I live is a mess. And help reduce vehicle emissions while we also work on truly low carbon footprint vehicles. And safe wear and tear on people who are sick of their commutes.

Reactions: ghostwriter

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Ooooh poor thing...the money bag was too heavy I guess. And what exactly made him tired? The years and years of same design for the iPhone and Mac lineup? Or changing the colour theme in iOS? Without someone like Steve Jobs pushing him he's just overrated as hell right now.
If his involvement ended with the Apple watch in 2015, the iPhone 6 would be the last iPhone design he'd work on. That makes sense because iPhone design then stagnated for the following 6s, 7, and 8.

The stagnation of product design at Apple over the last 5 years can be blamed on Ive's reduced role, not the other way around.

And yes I think Ive needed someone to push him. Jobs was a visionary and Ives was his creator. Apple doesn't have a visionary right now, certainly not in Tim Cook.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
He gets paid THAT MUCH only to show up twice a week? With minimal effort he had put into Apple design recent years, this is straight up stealing LOL.:rolleyes:
To show up at HQ twice a week, yes. But if he was like most executives, he probably spent every day of the week working elsewhere at least a couple of hours. They don’t really keep regular hours. At least none that I’ve ever known.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
The reputation of the MacBook Pro has been tainted. iPhones are bland. iOS and Mac OS hasn’t seen a significant change in over 5 years. The iPad and Mac Pro were finally redesigned after 5 and 6 years. The poor iMac has also been neglected. Something obviously happened behind the scenes. Tim is all about money. Ives and Jobs combined art and commerce to create a winning combination. If someone needs to go it’s Tim.
That’s an interesting and troubling possibility.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I wonder whether this is why the MacBook Pro was such a bad design, and why the Mac Pro and Pro Display XYZ look so odd...

I sure hope Apple gets their stuff together soon somehow.
[doublepost=1561739951][/doublepost]
They paid him well,so I don’t feel sorry for him that the job burnt him out.

Thy paid him very well.
So what? No amount of money can help you if you're burnt out.

I wish I hadn't done a job that gave me burnout, but I didn't know better at the time. I thought I'd make some money and then get over the burnout later. Except you can't get over it because it's for life.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
The desktop situation is a 100% Intel problem with years now of relatively stagnant CPU development.
Not at all. There’s no financial incentive to come out with a newly designed iMac every few years. Also, the thermals are taxed as it is. Bezel reduction is the next logical step, but what else is on the horizon? It’s a plateaued product that gets spec bumps every so often. We’ll see a new design eventually, but to blame this on Intel is naive.

macsimcon

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
Before Apple's versions, the smartphone, tablet, smart watch, and wireless earphone markets were failures. Apple's successes with their versions demonstrated that everyone else was just doing it wrong, and are perfect examples of knowing what the customer wants before the customer knows it. Sometimes avoiding market research is how you succeed.

But that doesn't always translate to features. Giving Jony unrestricted control over all design was a terrible mistake, resulting in a headquarters employees didn't want to work in, laptops lacking features power users wanted, and languishing product lines such as the Mac. I don't want the TouchBar, or a trackpad so wide that when I click on it with my right hand, the computer thinks I'm right-clicking. Those were dumb design decisions.

That operations now has more control than design has been evident for some time: cables are no longer included, a cheap defective keyboard is included on all new MacBook Pros, and pricing has actually gone up, not down over time. And the final insult is a focus on services, a commodity business already full of mature competitors like Google and Microsoft.

Services are what you do when you're out of ideas. Where's the noninvasive blood glucose monitor? Where's the F***ING CAR?!?

This is a good time for a fresh look. With Jony out, how can Apple sell more products? Where is a network attached storage system with easy, minimal setup and powerful features, including automatic backups? Where's the 802.11ax wireless mesh system as easy to configure as AirPort? If operations can do one thing well, it's to recognize that Apple should have a solution for every customer problem, because getting them into the ecosystem and keeping them there is worth a ton of money. And fix iCloud, it's pathetic compared to services like Dropbox and Box.

iapplelove

macrumors 601
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
[doublepost=1561739951][/doublepost]

So what? No amount of money can help you if you're burnt out.

I wish I hadn't done a job that gave me burnout, but I didn't know better at the time. I thought I'd make some money and then get over the burnout later. Except you can't get over it because it's for life.
Like I said, don’t feel bad for him what so ever.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
Irvine, CA
Time to convert my iTunes purchases, music and films, to something more generic and able to play on Android devices. It was a great run. Now for a new era.

Reactions: Wide opeN

ronno

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2014
Not really.

Does't break the design flow, it forces people to use it as intended (wirelessly) and it takes the same amount of time to swap over AAs as it does to charge the mouse for a full day's use.
So you can get a full day’s usage out of a 20 second charge?

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
No surprise here. The hardware design vocabulary of all Apple devices has basically been frozen for years now. Even the iPad Pro is essentially taking design cues from the iPhone 4-5 era.

And the new design elements they have introduced, like the Touch Bar and that ***** Butterfly keyboard, have been questionable at best.

Reactions: nouveau_redneck

ronno

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2014
Design is peachy job so highly doubt that was the reason. Suspect the real issue for missing work, looking distant, having weird design choices, no longer under the company spotlight, etc. is due to a drug dependency issue. Moderate use may spur some genius in design but it usually leads to chronic use and crash. So, was the board rather than Tim Cook that made the call? If so, Tim Cook may be next.
So you are speculating that he is leaving due to drug addiction?

bluespark

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I, too, have become "deeply, deeply tired" of someone who used to bring exciting, whimsical touches to design like translucent colorful plastic, shiny aluminum, and a white pulsating LED to make the Mac look like it's snoozing, but has now become a one-trick pony who only asks "can we make the side of the iMac nobody will ever look at even thinner?".

There were a few rays of light in between, like Apple Watch bands, but for the most part, hardware design at Apple in the past 18 years (the May 2001 white iBook) has been an endless march towards thinness, silver-y or golden shades of aluminum or steel, black bezels, and a glass. Functionally, it has gotten worse.

Enough with the sameness.
Very good post. I would credit every aspect of the Apple Watch as a design success, and there are others such as AirPods (and even iPads, although the design objective there was fairly straightforward), but those products are islands in a sea of sameness. Apple needs a new chief designer who shares Apple's overall design goals but who can also do something interesting.

Reactions: chucker23n1

iMEric984

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2018
Boston MA
Man, are the haters here really so full of impotent rage that they don’t see how fundamental Jony is to Apple’s success? It’s like John leaving the Beatles and people saying ‘good riddance’. I mean, Ive practically IS Apple.
Agreed. Without Ive, we wouldn’t have had those iconic original iPhone thru the 4-5 series that we’re absolutely beautiful. He is leaving Apple, but Apple will still be his first client. And let’s not forget that the future products like iOS 14 and MacBooks for the next few years will still have some of his designs as Apple usually already working on the next series of products.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Very good post. I would credit every aspect of the Apple Watch as a design success, and there are others such as AirPods (and even iPads, although the design objective there was fairly straightforward), but those products are islands in a sea of sameness. Apple needs a new chief designer who shares Apple's overall design goals but who can also do something interesting.
I think Apple's overall design goals have taken a backseat to profit margin and pleasing shareholders.

Maybe this is the beginning of Steve Jobs part 2.

Ives leaves. Apple goes down. Rehires Ives and gives him full control and releases the new "ipod".

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Whatever one thinks of Ive, 6 people have left the design team in the last 3 years. Now Ive is leaving. In the decade plus prior hardly anyone left. On the one hand yes it’s good to get new blood but isn’t it a bit worrisome that all these designers are leaving? Are they just burned out or has there been a culture change with Cook where they feel the wrong things are being prioritized?

Reactions: GrumpyMom